The Rise of the Humours spells

Mimicking Mentem spells via Corpus and the Humours. Originally intended for the 10-15 spell list, but bumped out because of good feedback on level.

The Rise of the Sanguine Humour
ReCo 20
R: Eye
D: Mom
T: Ind

This spell raises the blood in the target, causing a sanguine humour imbalance, which heals like a Medium Wound. This causes a change in the temperament of the target. They will gain the Courageous and Amorous traits at +3 (or increase them). When not directly motivated by necessity they will often be lost in a daydream of possibilities. Under calm circumstances only an appropriate personality trait roll of 6+ will the sanguine be able to motivate themselves (e.g. Amorous to go to a dance, or Curiosity to investigate a noise, or study). While in Dyscrasia, or humour imbalance, the sanguine is susceptible to disease, especially liver disease (typically showing up as itching, bleeding, cramps, and/or infection) or Malaria ("Quatidian Fever"). The likelihood of disease will vary widely by circumstance, but an untreated humor (no Medicine or blood letting) will require a Stamina roll of 3+ within a week or suffer the disease equivalent of a Medium Wound. Finally, as this humour is associated with the air, any wizard's Auram casting totals benefit from a bonus of +3, while their Terram casting totals would be reduced by -3.
(Base 15, +1 Eye)
NOTE: Adjusted several things due to feedback, pushing this spell out of the 10-15 guideline. One could easily just make it Personal to put it back in the guideline, assumedly to study the effects of humours up close and "personal".

The Rise of the Melancholic Humour
ReCo 20

This spell raises the black bile in the target, causing a melancholic humour imbalance, which heals like a Medium Wound. This causes a change in the temperament of the target. They will gain the Kind and Perfectionist traits at +3 (or increase them). When not directly motivated by necessity they will often be lost in a depression. Under calm circumstances only an appropriate personality trait roll of 6+ will the melancholic be able to motivate themselves (e.g. Kind to help a fallen passer-by, or Curiosity to investigate a noise, or study). While in Dyscrasia, or humour imbalance, the melancholic is susceptible to disease, especially of the gall bladder (typically showing up as nausia, fever and/or cramps) or Constriction. The likelihood of disease will vary widely by circumstance, but an untreated humor (no Medicine or purges) will require a Stamina roll of 3+ within a week or suffer the disease equivalent of a Medium Wound. Finally, as this humour is associated with the earth, any wizard's Terram casting totals benefit from a bonus of +3, while their Auram casting totals would be reduced by -3.
(Base 15, +1 Eye)

The Rise of the Choleric Humour
ReCo 20

This spell raises the yellow bile in the target, causing a choleric humour imbalance, which heals like a Medium Wound. This causes a change in the temperament of the target. They will gain the Leader and Angry traits at +3 (or increase them). When not directly motivated by necessity they will often be lost plans of conquest. Under calm circumstances only an appropriate personality trait roll of 6+ will the sanguine be able to motivate themselves (e.g. Angry to yell at an incompetent, or Curious to investigate a noise, or study). While in Dyscrasia, or humour imbalance, the choleric is susceptible to disease, especially spleen disease (typically showing up as bleeding, cramps, and/or infection) or Malaria ("Quartan Fever"). The likelihood of disease will vary widely by circumstance, but an untreated humor (no Medicine or emetics) will require a Stamina roll of 3+ within a week or suffer the disease equivalent of a Medium Wound. Finally, as this humour is associated with fire, any wizard's Ignem casting totals benefit from a bonus of +3, while their Aquam casting totals would be reduced by -3.
(Base 15, +1 Eye)

The Rise of the Phlegmatic Humour
ReCo 20

This spell raises the phlegm in the target, causing a phlegmatic humour imbalance, which heals like a Medium Wound. This causes a change in the temperament of the target. They will gain the Shy and Unemotional traits at +3 (or increase them). When not directly motivated by necessity they will often be too shy to act. Under calm circumstances only an appropriate personality trait roll of 6+ will the phlegmatic be able to motivate themselves (e.g. Shy to leave a crowded area, or Curiosity to investigate a noise, or study). While in Dyscrasia, or humour imbalance, the phlegmatic is susceptible to disease, especially of the lungs (typically showing up as coughing and difficulty breathing) or Dysentery (“Flux“). The likelihood of disease will vary widely by circumstance, but an untreated humor (no Medicine or diuretic) will require a Stamina roll of 3+ within a week or suffer the disease equivalent of a Medium Wound. Finally, as this humour is associated with the earth, any wizard's Aquam casting totals benefit from a bonus of +3, while their Ignem casting totals would be reduced by -3.
(Base 15, +1 Eye)

Very interesting. I am curious about one thing though: since such conditions are thought to be cured in-setting by balancing the humors, might not these spells cancel each other out? Or would that require too much detail, in your opinion?

Hmmm, good question. They certainly could...

Then again, a person with two out of balance humours could just be twice as sick.

If I had to make a call right now, I'd say the opposing humours cancel each other out, but I have to think on it for a bit...

Wouldn't it make more sense for Sanguine to penalise Terram, Melancholic Auram, Choleric Aquam, and Phlegmatic Ignem? And while I know little about medieval medicine, wouldn't you cure an excess of phlegm with an expectorant or diuretic, rather than bloodletting? As for the spells cancelling each other, I think it makes more sense for one of them to replace the others. A fifth spell to balance all four humours would be reasonable.

I think you're right on all accounts. I read an article somewhere that indicated that the opposite humours didn't corespond with their classical elemental opposites, but now I can't find it, and everything else I read now seems to indicate they do.

Thanks for the help!

The Balancing of the Humours

This spell balances the four humours in a human creating eucrasia. The target will gain a +3 on the next Stamina roll to resist or recover from disease. Though this spell could in theory last a very long time in an individual who isn't exposed to disease, in practice, most people's daily routine leads to humour imbalance, ruining the effects of this spell within a week. This spell will instantly negate any of the Rise of the Humour spells.
(Base 15, +1 Eye)

I like! I have a lot of pity for the poor soul with all humors out of balance-if it's even possible to survive with all of these spells active.

Angafea: good work!
Also I had an idea to use a balancing humours spell to increase companions health and living a longer life without the use of vis.
I think on a +2 or +3 modifier.