The Speed of Magic?

In your example, that is sensing the aura, one could argue that to be insensible to slight fluctuations (i.e. noise) the information has to be stable for a minimal length of time. That length of time is the delay for you to get your trigger.

Then again nothing says the trigger is instantaneous. Perhaps you have half a second before it commands the linked effect.

Consider- I have a player who wanted to enchant a bell such that ringing it produced two effects. As per the rule on p.100 ta character can only invoke one effect per round, but if it were possible to have the same action trigger both at the same time then that rule would be broken. Thus it must be a limit of magic items that they can only cast one spell per action.

Well, it is indeed possible to use an action to ring the bell, and then the bell triggers two effects at the same time. It is explicitly said p99.

Consider that a person can trigger effect X and the MuVi effect with a linked trigger goes off with effect X. But the person only does a single trigger for a single effect.

Also consider that you can have multiple "constant" effects which are not truly constant but are both non-flickering, both simultaneously triggered by the same environmental trigger.

That's not what it says at all.

"The effect is triggered by the results of another effect in the same item."

This seems to indicate that first, the triggering effect is resolved, and only then does it activate the Linked effect.

No, it says "Any number of effects can be linked to a single triggering, and mey depend in different ways on the result of that effect" Not that they can be triggered and will act simultaneously. Taken in combination with the statement on p.100 that only one effect can be triggered per action it reads as a pretty explicit statement that a trigger can only initiate one effect at a time and that these must be done at one per action.

Remember it can apply to an environmental trigger. I'm sure ringing the bell can apply. So the character rings the bell, and two effects are triggered.

While it was not originally true, the revised ruling on "constant" means that an environmental trigger can now simultaneously trigger multiple effects in one item. That doesn't mean other triggers necessarily can, but certainly some can.

"This seems to indicate that first, the triggering effect is resolved, and only then does it activate the Linked effect." - That's not really how it works. It can work that way. But it can also fire off the linked one first, as is necessary for MuVi. This shows up repeatedly in canon.

Separately, I really like silveroak's superposition version if used in a modern game.

Except that it literally states on p.100 that it cannot trigger two effects at once.

keep in mind however that sunrise or sunset is an "event" that lasts for a full diameter, and thus could, in theory, trigger 20 different effects.

No, it doesn't literally say that. It says "you." It doesn't say the item or the environment cannot.

There are also canonical items that require simultaneous linked effects because we have "constant" effect without flicker (no loss of a round) that also use a MuVi effect linked to them. So the MuVi must go off at the end of the prior and yet fast enough that the new version that happens immediately can be affected.

The fact is that there are a lot of things in ars magic which both cannot and must happen, because the authors and editing are sloppy. I tend to go with what is explicitly written over what is implied.

The effect ends at sunset, the effect begins at sunset, and sunset is a 2 minute long phenomenon, and magic isn't computer programing. For all we know it starts an effective que of activate spells then deactivating the expired spells during those 20 actions. Or a sunrise/sunset trigger is a "leading edge" effect while the expiry is a "falling edge" effect in sequence depending on how many effects are triggered or expired.

Yes. But remember that in this case this is a situation where the original rules were overruled and changed later. So if you say the two cannot work together, then the core rules being overruled would make this part of the core rules now incorrect.

Constant effect is part of the core rules, so where has this been "overruled" especially since it is my practice and understanding that core rules take precedent over rules from supplements, which may grant exceptions but do not redefine the general rules.

On the forums here David Chart specifically overruled core-book constant effect stuff. It is no longer constant. Now it is actually 2/day.

If you want to say this isn't official, consider that Atlas considered the ruling official enough that it went back and issued official errata for previously valid MuVi on constant-effect stuff to reflect this change in the rules.

This raises some odd questions, because if multiple effects can be triggered by a single event/condition but cannot happen simultaneously then they must happen in an order, what determines that order?

Or what happens if I take something like "entering a magic aura" as the trigger, link a bunch of effects to it in one item, step into an aura with an action then step back out? Does only one effect trigger because the trigger was only present for one action's worth of time? Or do the other effects keep triggering at set intervals even though the trigger condition is no longer true? This gets messy and unintuitive in my personal opinion.

It could be simpler to just say that linking multiple effects to one trigger is impossible, a minor limitation of hermetic enchantment, but that's quite restrictive and contradicts some published material.

1 Like

So where are the new rules published? Or is this no longer a game system but a cult of personality?

The old version was that the effect is truly constant. Now it is actually 2/day, restarting seamlessly at sunrise/sunset. If you think this changes the written rules in the core book about constant effects, you need to reread them to get them right. But how this works is vitally important in a number of ways. One of them is about being able to put a constant effect on something and just ditch the item, which now works better. Another of them is how the MuVi interaction works, which was the reason for errata on it.

Honestly I'm not even sure what your argument is at this point- the core rules indicate a constant efect is 2x/day with a flicker, you are talking about rules from p.99 and p.100 in the core book not applying because of things that require a constant effect then tell me that Atlas has changed the rules from teh core book, and not once do you refer to any actual rule that you are siting- so what is your actual argument here "the rules are changed, appeal to authority, nyah nyah nya nyah"?