The Stonhenge Tribunal, 1222

A tent serving wine, ale and spirits along with some food is set up a bit further away from the cave entrance, many of the younger looking magi head here after finishing in line. Despite the social atmosphere the magi are not mingling over much. Most of the magi that are talking in small groups seem to already know each other, the mannerisms suggest familiarity. The food and drink is free, and you are informed that it is a donation from the Covenant of Voluntes. There is a very beautiful woman who seems to be mingling among them, asking how they are and you think you over hear some mention on a subject that seems rather strange; more than once you hear the mention of St. Nerius.

In another part of the colorful crowd a bearded custo of schorlarly nature stops to speak with Bjorn.

"Well my fine Magister, you seem to be the discerning type, a question like that no doubt means you've heard of my Master Astrolabe ex Jerbiton? Regarded among many as the most brilliant mind in the Order! Bonisagus have even thought of changing their traditions and allowing him in as an honorary member."

"This Tracti on Magic Theory is often referred to as a primer on this essential topic, and was included for consideration in the Bonisagi codex. This can be yours Magister, let us talk more..."

The two Quaesitor look over to you Siobhan as you approach and present your credentials. One of the women regards you only briefly before writing down the name that is announced to the other who is doing the talking. The other is a younger woman, rather attractive, but with a severe style and keen fashion sense. She turns to you after saying "Sic est" to a magus. "Greetings Sodales." she says as she turns to you.

"We were told we had a sister in Guernicus. I am Fredegisa of Schola Pythagoranis, and my quiet companion here is Trutina of Burnham." the other maga looks up at you briefly and goes back to her writing. "Please sit" she offers a stool. "If you would go over the roster as Trutina finishes the pages we can get an accounting rather quickly." she waves to the small pile of papers as a very old looking magus steps up.

He is dressed in a tattered kilt and shirt, with pouches arranged haphazardly. His eyes have cataracts, his long nose is hooked like a falcon and his fithly gray hair stands on end. His bony claw like hands clutch a gnarled walking stick and strangest of all, you hear a low muffled growling. Looking down you see that a small white furred terrier dog is busily chewing on his right booted foot, worrying at the leather. The old man seems not to notice though occasionally moves with a particulay vigorous shake of the dog's head.

"Name?" asks Fredegisa. The old man scratches his head a moment.

"Ach...gimme a moment. I knew it just a bit ago." he says with a thick Scottish accent. He begins patting his pouches and such, finally producing a piece of paper that looks like it was torn from another larger piece. "Here we are lass! I had one of those Redcap fellows write it down for me." he hands it over to the maga, who takes it with some distaste. She reads it.

"Old Aggie?" she finally asks.

"Aye, I'm called that." he smiles proudly.

"And your House? Your Covenant?"

His smile fades. "House? I...it's not on there?" Fredgisa shakes her head. "Ach! The Hash House I think. I don't have a Covenant though."

"Hash...House? Trutina, put down Ex Miscellenea for...Old Aggie. Very well, return at Sunset please. And Familiars will wait in a seperate chamber within."

"Familiar? I ain't got no Familiar!" he snaps. Fredegisa points to the dog who has now gone to the other foot. "Him? He ain't my familiar! Just started chewin' me shoe is all. Figured he'd get tired of the taste sooner or later." He gives the dog a small whack on its flank with his stick. The dog whelps and scurries off a short distance as the old man turns towards the food tent. Undeterred, after only a few steps the dog scurries up to him again to chew on his boot once more.

Fredegisa shakes her head and hides a smile. "Next!"

Siobhan gives the food tent a wishful glance and then gets to work on the rosters to check off names as papers are recorded and marked. She smiles, [color=blue]"It is a pleasure to meet you. Hopefully this will be completed swiftly." She is amused by the old mage and his dog but does her best to conceal it as it would not be polite to laugh at the older mage.

OOC: order of Hermes roll: 9 + 5 (6 if politics specialty applies) for 14 (15)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1890512/

Acacius tells Barbara or whoever who ask of his age that he is 27 and gets ready to appear before the tribunal.

Jaen will nod his head. "I don't think you'll find anything out of the ordinary." Jaen bites his lip, hesitating, and then rushes on. "Someone once told me that, in Stonehenge, the idea of making an Item to accomplish a Perdo Corpus feat was to punch a whole in a wall, back up a donkey to one side of the wall, and then paint "Look in here" on the other side of the wall. Then they enchant a stick to poke the donkey if someone pokes their head through." Jaen shrugs his shoulders. "Don't know if that's true. There aren't many Verditius in Stonehenge." He says the last sentence as if it explains everything somehow. "Happy hunting."

Jaen will turn to Kylios. "I think the tent is over this way...Oh yes, I can see a woman slapping a man who just pinched her bottom. There must be wine over there then." And off he goes, asking Kylios where he came from.

Siobhan suddenly thinks of something. [color=blue]"That absent minded man is the Praeco?" She murmers to the other queasitors next to her. [color=blue]"I hope he is more lucid when the tribunal opens."

The food tent serves hearty stews, tender mutton and bitter teas as well as wine and ale. Julia of Jerbiton is the hostess and steps from group to group, chatting briefly before moving to the next group.

At the main table is a rough looking man with close cropped hair wearing a greasy leather apron and serving ale in clay mugs.

"Aye Magisters, what'll ye have?" he says as Jaen and Kylios step up. "A little something to see ya through this meeting of minds great and large?"

Nearby a group of Magi are gossiping about Julia's latest crusade and one wonders aloud how long she will last before the Praeco threatens to silence or eject her again.

Beneger seemed rather preoccupied, chatting idly with the magus behind him, not quite realizing that he was next in line. Stepping up, he was still mid conversation. Just before he was politely informed of his position, he turns, cutting his conversation off to sweep his violet eyes over the three. Smiling, and as if he had been paying attention the entire time,

"Greetings I am Beneger ex Bjornaer."

He spoke quickly, and with little pause. Pulling the required papers from his robes, he hands them over. No sooner had he done that,

"I trust everything is in order?"

Fredegisa says "Sic est" to the next magus and turns to Siobhan, the other Quaesitor is intent on writing.

"I'm sorry, who? The Praeco is Talion of House Flambeau, this is his Covenant. He's a touch...old perhaps, but he's not addled." she pauses a moment.

"Wait, did you mean that one, Old...Aggie? He's not the Praeco." She says simply, apparently that's all there is to it.

"Salve Sodales." says the sharply dressed maga. "Let me see here..." the other Magi seemed to have a very fast experience with this, what's taking so long? She seems to be sorting through some letters and referencing them to your credentials.

"Who is your master? I have...differing statements here, one claiming to be your master from Bonisagus, a Magus named Caius. And another here saying that you never formally completed your Gauntlet, from Flavius ex Bjoaernaer. Can you explain this?"

The other Maga who is usually writing stops to observe the exchange.

Jaen will nod his head to the man in the apron. "A lot of something to get me through the meeting of great minds sirrah. Please."

He'll step aside so Kylios can take a mug and comment, half aloud. "Julia? Isn't she ex Jerbiton? I've heard of her I think. Doesn't she usually have some project or another in the works?"

He serves up a tall mug of frothy ale. "Aye, that's me Mistress, Lady Julia. She's always busy." he taps his temple and winks. "Thinkin' all them big thoughts she does. Somethin' about makin' a wizard into a saint or somethin'. Don't ask me though, I'm barely smart enough to pour a beer." he adds as he produces a second ale for your friend.

Beneger lets out a sigh, "I was gauntleted six years ago That letter is clearly without merit." He gestures while he talks, "Flavius is my master. Casius wished to take me as was his right but he acted too late." He stares the Maga in the eyes, reaching into his robes once more, pulling out more documentation, "Here is signed proof of my completion of the Bjornaer guantlet signed notification of my oathing and two witness accounts of my learning the parma I will need all of these back." His words seemed to be slipping together.

Fredegisa scowls at the change in tone. She takes the papers with a brisk grab and begins to read them. From there she compares it to the other letters she brought forth before. She compares the dates and then shows both sets of letters to Trutina and Siobhan.

"Sodales, please let me know your opinion."

Siobhan please roll Perception and Hermetic Law

Back in the cave, Elysia bobs her head slightly.

"I am twenty-nine"

Barbara smiles. "Very well. You all have a special part in this Tribunal. The Praeco will be running the meeting of course. Towards the end of the meeting he will announce that the new Magi shall be introduced. You shall give your introductions at that time, not when the other Magi do as they enter. You shall take your Oaths, burn your locks of hair and present your Sigils for consideration. You will not be able to vote in this part of the Tribunal. Then the Praeco shall call a close to the Tribunal. At that point, our youngest new Magus shall say:

"Honored Praeco. I must protest, there are matters between our Sodales that must be resolved."

"The Praeco will then convene a new Tribunal on the spot, that you may participate in to the fullest. Are there any questions?"

The three magi look at each other for a moment and finally Rhodri speaks after swallowing hard.

"I...seem to be the youngest, but may I defer this...honor? I was unprepared and am...nervous in front of large groups."

Barbara frowns. "This is disapointing. We want the youngest...are you sure? Will one of you others show more spine?"

Siobhan looks at the two papers. [color=blue]"A bonisagus claims him as his apprentice, his admirred master claims he is not gauntletted, he has papers saying he is gauntleted. He should have been presented to the senior queasitor with the other new mages and perhaps still can and the hopilite test him for Parma. I am not sure how to resolve this conflict of three conflicting testimony without more detailed questioning of the circumstances." She suspects possible run away apprentice with forged papers. One that learned Parma somehow.

OOC: Rolled a 5 (2 + 2 code of hermes + 1 percetion) with possible +1 for hermetic intrigue specialty.
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1892728/

"The timing of the earliest documents provides the proof I believe. It's obvious that Flavius wished to deny Caius his right to an apprentice. Possibly a crime...should Caius pursue it. Flavius must have delayed the transfer long enough to train and Gauntlet the...applicant. But why this later claim that the Gauntlet was not passed? The signature is the same."
offer the the normally quiet Trutina.

"Obviously he regretted the decision, perhaps made in haste." offers Fredegisa as she turns to Siobhan. "He should have been, but the Code does allow for the Oath to be witnessed and the Parma taught outside of Tribunal. I'd rather not bother Barbara. These are...technically in order." she turns to Benegar.

"Please demonstrate your ability to raise the Parma." In the line behind Benegar there are some whispers and mutterings of 'Hedge Wizard'.

"My Master had certain expectations of me I saw no reason to fulfill, Yet." He says with a nod, and concentrates, performing the ritual flawlessly. A moment later, his colorless parma flares to life around him, with a slight bow, he nods, his tone once more changed, "I will gladly accept whatever verdict it is you pass upon me graciously. Be I be forced to stand in yet another line, or be given grace to pass through." He keeps his eyes on the three, despite wishing to glance behind himself. "Though I do believe I begin to hold the line."

Fredegisa looks on skeptically at the performance and then at the growing line of impatient magi. Trutina shrugs and returns to her writing.

"Sic est. Berengar. Does your House accept you or shall you be considered Orbus (Orphan) and enter into Miscellenea?"

Elysia purses her lips, considering. "What an interesting thing. I suppose if it is a custom, it must be observed. I will gladly do so, but I would not take the honor of this... odd little charade from my younger sodalis if he wishes it. It seems to me that much wrong is done over people who do not get what they want."