The Training of Sheelagh

Like I said, it's a rough draft, they can all be inherited and just come out during play or as she learns magic, discovering (for example) that no matter how hard she tries, she just can't get the oomph on her spells that Fiona's do (Weak magic, lacking on penetration).

Do you have dropbox? If so, I can upload it there, or if you pm me your email I can send it to you that way, whichever way works better for you.

What books do we have that would be considered "Apprentice-appropriate"?

Also, with no Magic Theory, she's of no use to anyone in the laboratory in Winter or Spring 1222-23, when Fiona's going to be out of town. She's going to be needing to be either sat down with a book or taught something by somebody.

I don't think anybody who knows Magic Theory is available those seasons, and I think we're still coming up with another teacher who knows Gaelic who can teach the girl Latin? (aside from Moire?)

How could she read any book we have without Latin or Greek?

I would have the language teacher have gaelic (sp?). If we are spending BP on him/her than they should have what we need. The language teacher would be in ME at 1223.1 or 1223.2

Yeah, that occurred to me as I was typing my reply. So. First thing she needs to do is have someone who speaks Gaelic teach her Latin...enough Latin to be able to learn other stuff. And then have her learn Artes LIberales so she can read and write. I would have Fiona teach her Latin in 1222.3, but she's got Princeps duty and can't really trade it off. And if the new teacher can't arrive until 1223.1, that's two seasons that Sheelagh won't be able to do much, if anything.

I can have Moire (SQ: 10) teach her, that will give her a score of 1(5), which is better than nothing. Then have Otto teach her Artes Liberales, since (as near as I can tell) you don't have to have a minimum score in a language to be taught, you just have to have a language in common. But for some reason, doing it that way feels very...ineffective.

I need to check if I am doing a LR for L in 1222.3. If not( due to the subject being gone) I can cover precept duty so you can teach. We can call it payment for your time copying books.

No reason to do that LR now.

Fiona thanks Korvin profusely (how profusely is up to him :wink: ). I'll make the changes to the planner now.

See my post in the other thread about cultural difference in the attitude people have about books and children.

Also, I'm surprised that no one has thought of this already, but there's Viscaria's Ordinary Mirror, if you're really worried about letting her touch the book itself.

Um...whoops.

I think I've hit a brick wall on training Sheelagh. I'm going through and doing her syllabus for at least through Tribunal.

She already has Inventive Genius (Minor Hermetic Virtue) and Affinity With Corpus (Minor Hermetic Virtue), but she still needs Mythic Herbalism (a Major Supernatural Virtue, which is the Required Non-Hermetic Virtue for the Daughters of Circe)[/i].

I've already given her Difficult Longevity Ritual to pay for the Affinity. She still needs to be inflicted with Rigid Magic (a Major Hermetic Flaw), which can try to offset the cost of the Virtue.

So, the Target Level for her Mythic Herbalism is:
21 base
+3 for having Inventive Genius
+3 for having Affinity with Corpus
-9 for being afflicted with Rigid Magic
18 Total Target Level

Her Teaching Source Quality is Com 2 + Teaching 2 + 3 + Good Teacher 5 + Single Student Bonus 6 = 18.

Hunh. Never mind. If my math is right (I had forgotten about the Good Teacher bonus), it looks like she will just squeak by, but will probably empty her still when she's done.

But then, I just noticed something else. The Major Hermetic Flaw for the Daughters of Circe is Rigid Magic. However, when Fiona first reforged herself in the Realm of Magic in the Summer of 1222, she was able to replace it with Chaotic Magic (a related but, thus far, less painful Flaw). Technically, she can only pass along Flaws that she has. My question: since Rigid Magic is her Tradition's Required Hermetic Flaw and Fiona had it for most of her Hermetic Life, would she be passing along that, or would she be passing along Chaotic Magic (and, thus, not quite meet the requirements for her Tradition)? I can see a case for either one.

I would imagine that she would choose to pass on Chaotic Magic rather than Rigid, and that she'd probably be eager to pass this shift in understanding to the others of her Tradition. How many other Daughters of Circe are there?

Entering the Magic Realm and transforming one of your major Hermetic Flaws is not a casual sort of event. This was a profound moment in the history of the Daughters of Circe.

That's my vote, anyway.

Not many. I'd envisioned four in the Order: Fiona, Marós, possibly Mirella if she's still around, Marós's soror, and Fiona's soror. Mirella is unlikely, as she was the first Daughter of Circe to be brought into the order, and that was in the mid-eleventh century.

Agree. This is a momentous shift in the tradition. Fiona's entire magic was reworked, and it stands to reason this would pass to her apprentice. Now, will the other daughters rejoice and embrace the change Fiona brought to their tradition, or will they frown on it?

We may find out after Tribunal, if Marós accepts Fiona's invitation. I imagine it depends on how conservative they are, when it comes to their magical tradition. Chaotic Magic is still a Major Flaw, but it seems a little less restrictive than Rigid Magic does, to me.

Thought just occurred to me: If the other Daughters of Circe are upset enough by Fiona reforging herself (for whatever reason), could that mean that Fiona has started her own Tradition? That she is no longer Daughters of Circe, but Daughters of Fiona? (crappy name, I know, but it's practically my bedtime and i haven't had a nap today)

Depends. Are you gonna limit yourself to witch women?

It depends on whether she gets accepted or not.
She could revolutionarize the tradition, be seen as the torch-bearer of it's future and gain great acclaim within it, or be considered as a deviant from the "true" sisters. If she trains men, she'll certainly fall into the second category

Hadn't thought about it. I guess it depends on whether the rest of the sisterhood is accepting of the changes. If not, Fiona may well be all like, "Screw you guys, I'm going home." and do her own thang.

Decided what Fiona's teaching Sheelagh in 1227 and 1228 (Autumn, both years).

In Autumn of 1227, Fiona is teaching Muto, with a Source Quality of 18, which should raise Sheelagh's score to 8.

In Autumn of 1228, Fiona is teaching Corpus, same Source Quality, and a new Corpus score of 9.

Magi Planner's been updated.