The training of Ulrich

Ulrich almost immediately leaps from his seat and grabs the pail, lugging it somewhere where he can dump it out, rinse the pail, and refill it, being careful not to slosh any out either coming or going. He debates pausing for a couple of minutes to take care of himself while thinking of the scullery maid who looked like she might have been interested, but decides that Tria is probably impatiently waiting for him.

As soon as he jumps up and picks up the bucket he realizes that he has no idea where to fill it, or empty it. It was filled for him when he started. He has no idea where he is, except for how to get from Maris's sanctum to Tria's sanctum. Tria is looking at him crossly.

Ulrich's first instinct is to just strike out blindly looking for water, to prove to Tria that he's not useless, that he can handle even a trivial task like getting water without asking for help. But then he realizes that, for all he knows, he could be at the bottom of the Mediterranean, or the top of a mountain, and that it might be dangerous to do so.

[color=green]"Where would I find water?" he asks after looking at Tria for a moment.

"Finally, a glimmer of thought about solving a problem other than getting between a girl's legs!" Tria seems genuinely relieved. "Understanding the resources at your command is important for being a magus, you have your magic, you have your sodales, you have your mundane compatriots and servants, and you will likely have mundane wealth, or at least more than most mundanes can hope for. Marshaling these resources properly is important. Even more important is understanding the nature of the problem." Tria works some magic, it seems to go quickly, and the dirty grimy lab is replaced by one that is less dirty and grimy.
"What you were cleaning was an illusion." Ulrich can see some spots where he cleaned, so his work wasn't entirely wasted. "I had hoped that you might realize it sooner, as you discovered you were making little progress, and based on last night. So, I can clean this lab, it will take half an hour, observe quietly."
Tria begins a working of a spell, but from Ulrich's view it appears to be a ritual spell, as the steps she is taking are drawn out and meticulous. By the end of it, her lab is clean and freshly polished."That was a ceremonial working of a spell, a variant of Gleam of the Freshly-Polished Glass. I do not care for the Moon duration version, I merely desire to have a tidy lab. I work in a lab so seldom that it tends to accumulate dust and cobwebs. I might get into a lab once a year, if that. I travel a lot. Tell me, do you understand what I have done? "

Ulrich thinks carefully before he answers. [color=green]"You have demonstrated that, despite whatever power I may posses through the gift of Magic, that I should not feel that I have to do everything alone. That I should not be ashamed to ask others for help, whether it be my sodales, my mundane associates, or my servants. That the proper application of magic can complete the most arduous task in a fraction of the time...and can trick someone into thinking that their task is a fool's errand and a waste of time."

"That is a very good understanding. We all have our own interests, our own vices. What I did to you in half a day is done to a Tytalus apprentice for years. It is not unheard of for an apprentice towards the end of his career to murder his master in his sleep. Do you know what happens then?"

(Int 2 + Order of Hermes Lore 0 + die roll of 0 (only one botch die, since he does have a point in it, which comes up a 9) = 2.)

[color=green]"The apprentice gets marched?"

((It's a knowledge ability, so it can't be rolled with a score of 0 and no experience, his sheet doesn't indicate experience, but has the score of 0. The response is appropriate, regardless.))

"No, he gets named a magus, immediately, on the spot, no more training except to teach him the Parma Magica ritual. Keep in mind this doesn't happen often, but it has happened. Members of his House consider the apprentice to be competent while the master was incompetent. Conflict and who can come out on top is a hallmark of their House. Some conflict isn't as confrontational though. Some masters do things differently, as with any House. I say this, because you are a young man, not a boy. You have been essentially masterless for some time. You have done things as you would like, mostly when you would like. Apollodorus let you read books, as he wasn't interested in working in the lab. You may have assisted on a project here or there with another magus, but your use has been light. I'm going to allow you to finish reading that book. The summer is nearly gone. In the autumn, I'm going to teach you how to lie convincingly and with passion. Maris and I spoke at length last night after you went to bed. We both agree you need to learn how to lie a bit better. After that, I think I'm going to foster you to Ra'am in Iberia. I'm being assigned to be Tenens Occultorum for Rome, Rhine and The Greater Alps, as the previous Tenens has had an aging crisis, my duties will generally preclude me from handling an apprentice. My goal is to find you a suitable home, wherever that may be. I think Ra'am and a family influence may be necessary to ground you a bit, and he will work you'll be worked like you've never been worked before."

((Note, being sent to Ra'am shouldn't be construed as being removed from the saga, but I believe this is something that Tria would reasonably do. This doesn't preclude Laetitia from taking him, it merely delays it and turns it into something that requires some effort.))

((I've just been putting in the levels on the character sheet, with the xp on my mc file. I'll go in and fix that.))

Ulrich merely shakes his head "no" at that assumption.

Ulrich deems to deflate at this, but says nothing.

"Really? What have you done?" Tria seems quite interested to see what he's been up to.

When she notes his crestfallen look. "You really don't understand. Apollodorus did something to you. House Guernicus would love to find out what that is, or at least what you know while having been his apprentice. They know I fostered you with him, since the contract was filed with other records of note at Cunfin. Apollodorus made a tragic mistake, and you are paying a price for it. I have to keep you safe, because you're my apprentice and because of what Apollodorus did to you. Mons Electi is not safe for you. Iberia is safer. Having you tag along with me is decidedly not. I make myself an even bigger target. Sending you to Ra'am in Iberia would be expected of me. Ra'am has managed to acquire some fairly significant resources at Phoenix, and it is under the protection of some very powerful people. And I don't dare leave you with Maris, her plots rival Theraposa's."

Continuing on, "If I were to take you with me, it would be a trivial matter for them to slay me and take you as a prize. Since you are an apprentice, they can do whatever they want to you, they don't even have to manufacture evidence for you, just for me. If they go after Ra'am, it becomes much more difficult, the politics of the Iberian Tribunal prevent their free action. House Guernicus has a power base in Normandy and Rome. It maintains the status quo in the Rhine. The Greater Alps is where House Jerbiton is strongest, but Andru takes bold risks, I suppose learned it from Apollodorus. I could send you to Transylvania, where I'm sure you'd be safe, but you would end up in a situation much like Apollodorus did in his early career. A tool of the Tremere used for its own ends. Those ends are not ignoble and the life isn't unrewarding, but you would end up giving up freedom self-determination for a much longer period of time. No, I'm convinced going with Ra'am is the safest decision. He's a demanding taskmaster, but I have no doubt you'll learn much from him."

[color=green]"Let's see...I learned Latin and Artes Liberales from Otto, Fiona taught me some Magic Theory, I spent the summer traveling with Korvin and picked up a couple things. Fiona took me to Valnastium and I studied the gardens there for a while, last fall. Since then, I've studied Unifying Principles Of Our Magic and A Primer On Origination."

[color=green]"What did he do? I know Maris found something on me, or in me, that you didn't like."

Ulrich listens attentively, not quite understanding the nuances but hoping that, in time, he will understand the political situation better. [color=green]"I suppose that makes sense. I just wish everyone would stop getting rid of me. First my real father, then Silviatos, then Apollodorus (although that wasn't really his fault, I guess), now you."

"Well, your studies have progressed. I'm impressed, and surprised, although it is a bit uneven. Seems as if you've had too many masters and haven't been accountable to anyone, though. You haven't had to put in any hard work, except study. That you've been diligent in your studies is a credit to you."

"I realize this may seem terribly unfair, but I'm not going to tell you." She says it so matter-of-factly that Ulrich can tell that the matter is officially closed and off limits until she decides otherwise. Ulrich is forced to avert his eyes at her direct look.

Tria turns deadly serious. "Listen very carefully to me, Ulrich. I am not getting rid of you. I'm keeping you alive. If I took you tramping along with me on my newly assigned duties you would be dead before next spring. I took you on as the master of record because Apollodorus asked me a favor, and he had done a few for me over the years, I felt obligated. I'm involved in a very dangerous game, and you aren't prepared or presently equipped to play it. It's a game Apollodorus played and lost. Remember that when you get misty eyed about no one wanting you. Do you understand? I think you'll find Ra'am and his family warm and comforting. While Ra'am is demanding as a taskmaster, he and his family know how to live. From sundown every Friday to sundown every Saturday he and his family celebrate their faith. Few magi in the Order do this. He will provide you with a well-grounded education to build upon, and will teach you some valuable life lessons about hard work beyond keeping your nose in a book."

[color=green]"Thank you, domina."

Ulrich drops his eyes, and realizes that he's looking directly at her chest. He looks for a second or two, and then finds an interesting spot on the wall to stare at.

Ulrich listens attentively as she speaks, and remains quiet after. He carefully mulls over her words. If everything goes the way she describes...Ra'am, his wife and children (especially his cute daughter)...he thinks that it might actually be good for him. He's never discussed apprenticeship with any of the magi, but he's starting to realize that his has been remarkably abnormal. Maybe with the stability that fostering him with Ra'am should provide, he can focus more on his talents and studies, and not feel so...abandoned anymore.

[color=green]"What do you want me to do next, domina?" he asks. Seeing as how she magicked the lab clean, he doubts that he'll need to continue what he had been doing. Perhaps whatever she has planned may leave him a few minutes to talk to the cute maid later.

((Advance through autumn, change whatever autumn activity to 15 XP to Guile from Tria teaching him how to lie. She warns him to never try and do this to her or any master she places him with. I'm going to wait for certain other threads to clear up before revisiting what happens moving forward.))

About midway through his training on how to lie, Tria has to take a brief break. "I have to go away for a few days, it's best you stick around here. You've been doing well, and deserve a bit of a break. You can explore the grounds, but don't go beyond the Aegis. Oh, and here's a token for the Aegis, just in case. I would give Maris a wide berth and stay away from Prospero's chambers. If you go in, you'll probably get hit with a lightning bolt. Any questions?"

[color=green]"No, domina," he says. He takes the token without question, but isn't quite sure why he needs it, since he can't cast any spells yet. Then it occurs to him that he can work on his spontaneous magic. There's bound to be lots of sticks and branches, maybe even bushes that he can try stuff with. Plus, there's a few cute girls around that have caught his eye, maybe he can talk to them for a bit, see what happens.

He's going to try to spont a ReHe to create a random bush, shooting for Sun duration: Base 1, R: Voice (+2), D: Sun (+2), T: Individual, for a final target level of 5. Cr 6 + He 12 + Sta 2 + Aura 3(?) + die roll of 5 = 28 ÷ 2 = 14.

After a couple of minutes rest, examining the bush, he is going to spont a ReHe to have it follow him around. Base 5, R: Touch (+1), D: Concentration (+1), T: Individual, for a final target level of 15. Re 8 + He 12 + Sta 2 + Aura 3(?) + die roll of 6 = 31 ÷ 2 = 16.

"Why are you doing that?" the cute maid calls out to Ulrich.

((There goes his concentration, probably. Sta 2 + Concentration (in the presence of women) 1 + die roll of 7 = 10.))

[color=green]"Doing what?" Ulrich replies (Deft Form: Herbam, so he was able to pull that off without any words or gestures). He looks around and acts surprised to see the bush there.

[color=green]"Are you following me again?" He'll try the spell again, this time with Diameter duration (same Duration level). 25 + die roll of 5 = 30 ÷ 2 = 15.

The bush "nods."

[color=green]"Well, stop it. Say hello to the beautiful lady, then go wait over there." The bush "waves" at the maid, then goes off where Ulrich thinks a bush might belong, its branches sagging so it looks mopey.

Ulrich then walks over to the maid. When he reaches her, he will put one hand behind his back and CrHe a single rose. Base 1, R: Touch (+1), Duration: Moon (+3), T: Individual, for a target level of 5. CT of 23 + die roll of 6 = 29 ÷ 2 = 15.

[color=green]"I believe this is yours," he says with a smile. [color=green]"My name is Ulrich." (Charm roll, if you need it: Com 1 + Charm (Women) 1 + die roll of 6 = 8.)

"Silly. I've seen enough magic around here to know what you were doing. You must be very powerful to do it without words or gestures. I only see Prospero or Maris work magic like that. Thank you for the rose. How did you know my name? Tria never called me by my name. How long will it last?"

[color=green]"Only a month, I'm afraid. Then it will no longer bear to be in the presence of such incomparable beauty and return from whence it came." He smiles. [color=green]"A fate I hope I never have to endure."

He moves a little closer. [color=green]"I'm not that powerful yet, I'm afraid...I'm only a mere apprentice. I do have a gift for plants and flowers and wood, though, and I'm told that I have a lot of potential. In fact, Tria was just telling me the other day how impressed she is with my progress."