The Visitor (Spring 1235)

High Adventure! It is what being a Flambeau magus is all about 8)
And believe it or not, this is only the very first Twilight Episode that Roberto or any other PC of mine has had in all my years of PbP gaming! I was actually looking forward to it, and hoped it would have been a bit higher so Roberto could gain a Minor Virtue. However, 12xp in, say, PoF mastery would double to 24. That would be nice. Or an underwater spell, whatever effect that was cast on me that granted me free motion.
But I am getting ahead of myself. I'm just elated he comprehended it, and am wondering what happens next. Fixer could invoke all sorts of things for having botched the third spell. And I may need to barter for mercy :laughing:

Acutus charges in and chomps down on the closest barbarian!

[hr][/hr]

Attack Total: 11 + 2 = 13 (will use confidence if necessary to make sure he hits, and he can use 2)
Damage Total: 16 + Attack Advantage
Defense Total: 3 + 9 = 12 (will use confidence if necessary, and he can use 2)
Soak: +9

Combat Stats:
Large Teeth: Init -4 (-5), Attack +11, Defense +4 (+3), Damage +12 (+16)
Soak: +6 (+9)
Fatigue Levels: OK, OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-9), -3 (10-17), -5 (18-25), Incapacitated (26-33), Dead (34+)

Active Spells - Already factored in above in parentheses:
Form of the Phlegmatic Heartbeast (+2 Str) – Penetration 12
Gift of the Bear’s Fortitude (+3 Soak) – Penetration 20
Heartbeast of Outlandish Size (+2 Str, -1 Qui, Wounds damage range +1) – Penetration 24+

Seems perfectly fair to me.
You rolled 5 botch dices, whereas you only needed one.

So, the 4 count toward your PoF roll, with the fifth being the 4 you just rolled. So, no botch, and you may ignore all the rest of your post, including warping.
Oh, thanks for counting the -5 for me! I was all "I'm gonna have to calculate this for all damage..."
Which means... 2medium wounds, 2 heavy ones.

This could have spelled the barbarians doom, but instead, this shakes them up, making them fall back on their old warlike reflexes*. They charge!

It takes them all the round to basically reach you and get into position. Luckily for you, although their frenzy means they work like a tide, they act like untrained groups.

(Sorry for the delay, work. I may be unavailable for 3 days.)

Fierce as ever, Acutus bites on the big brute, inflicting a medium wound!

Still, the barbarians were ready for him, and they retaliate!
And they should have hit him, if only Acutus wasn't so damn fast...
6 of them, and they just can't manage to land a hit on the giant shark ^^

Awesome. And don't worry about the wait. I need to process what just happened :smiley:

Tasting the blood in his mouth, Acutus takes another bite at the injured barbarian, hoping to rip his life out of him.
[hr][/hr]
Attack Total: 11 + 2 = 13 (will use confidence if necessary to make sure he hits, and he can use 2)
Damage Total: 16 + Attack Advantage
Defense Total: 3 + 10 (1 & 5) = 13 (will use confidence if necessary, and he can use 2)

Combat Stats:
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-9), -3 (10-17), -5 (18-25), Incapacitated (26-33), Dead (34+)

Heartbeast of Outlandish Size (+2 Str, -1 Qui, Wounds damage range +1) – Penetration 24+

I will go with that then :smiley:
So, with another full round, Roberto peppers the mob with another round of PoF's. Tempting fate, I know.
:smiling_imp:
Five more blasts, preferably five new targets, make sure to include the biggest guy.
Starting with 28 once again (Stamina +1, Creo 6+3, Ignem 12+3, Aura +3, Mastery 4, Shout the Words +1, No Gestures -5)
multicast PoF x five:
1D10+28 = [6]+28 = 34
1D10+28 = [7]+28 = 35
1D10+28 = [7]+28 = 35
1D10+28 = [0]+28 = 28*
1D10+28 = [9]+28 = 37

See, that's what I get for tempting fate. Now i have to check to see if PoF number four botches.
url=CoyoteCode Dice Roller]Botch Check: 1D10 = [5] = 5
1D10 = [1] = 1
1D10 = [7] = 7
1D10 = [5] = 5
1D10 = [9] = 9
[/url]
whew!
So, with Penetration 2 (Creo) and Mastery 4 (Penetration); his Penetration Totals (in the order rolled) are: 21, 22, 22, 15, & 24.
Damage
Fire Damage:
1D10 + 15 - 5 = [1]+15-5 = ! 16
1D10 + 15 - 5 = [8]+15-5 = 18
1D10 + 15 - 5 = [7]+15-5 = 17
1D10 + 15 - 5 = [00]+15-5 = 10 ?
1D10 + 15 - 5 = [7]+15-5 = 17

! Exploder on the first...
exploder: 1D10 = [3] = 3, x 2 = 6, +15 =21, -5 = 16
? Botch Check on the fourth (again)
Botch Check: 1D10 = [3] = 3
Raw magical power is flying fast and furious. Tendrils of fiery-steam shoot forth into the disorganized horde of barbarians.
So...
If I uderstand the pacing, that was the full round they took organizing themselves and approaching? The next round they get to roll Attacks. I forget who has Initiative or if we have to reroll. But Roberto will stand his ground with sword & shield, ready to go blow for blow with their vanguard.
Excelsior!

:exclamation:

As they recede from the fight, Lucas squeezes the princess' hand tighter. "He'll be okay," he whispers to her. "He's always okay."

This is so easy for Acutus, his prey don't stand a chance next to him. The barbarians try to protect their leader, but all they succeed at is letting Acutus rip another man's arm.
The brute screams, blue blood flowing upwards into the sea.

Suffice to say, they can't even manage to land a blow on the fierce engine of destruction that hacks at them.

This proves to much for even these hardened warriors, 4 of whom flee on their own, letting behind their 2 wounded comrades

Right as the barbarians close on him, Roberto unleashes another volley of fiery death, scalding 3 new barbarians (1 heavy wound, 2 medium ones). The 2 last, though, are tougher than their brethren, and are only slowed down by the blast (light wound).

Meanwhile, being finally in the open, and seeing his friend face so many ennemies, Wirth will use the chaos and noise to his advantage, pushing his "Rip my Ennemy" spell to Voice range, also striking at the second group.
Init: 1d10=4 +1 = 5
+26 + 4 - 15 = 15 +
10, 2, 8
It's once again botch fest for poor Wirth, who should really abstain from casting spells.
That's 9 - 2 mastery, -??? from familiar bound (he has clara as a familiar, but for how much? Let's be conservative and say 1 dice) = 6 dices... 7, 3, 3, 3, 6, 3
Phew! Penetration 15, 17 and 23. He inflicts one medium wound on Barbarians 2, 5 and 1, so the second group is down to:
1: 1 Heavy wound and 1 medium (-8)
2: 2 medium wounds (-6)
3: 1 medium wound (-3)
4: Light wound
5: 1 medium, one light (-4)

Luckily for Wirth, they suck at perception and are all focused on Roberto, so amidst the noise and the devastation he unleashes, no one notices his voice.

Round 1:

• Roberto unleashes PoF
  • Barbarians close on Roberto
    Round 2:
  • Roberto unleashes PoF (you just did that)
  • Barbarians strike at him.

In a few moments, Roberto's fury devastated his opponents, laying waste to almost half of them. Such a devastation would have scared witless any man, but, sadly, these dumb brutes aren't men. Enraged by their friends's cries, they strike at Roberto!
He's facing 2 groups, the first to come near him and be injured. Their mindless fighting style and long range weapons mean they can act like big groups (I'd have limited a lot the number of opponents he'd be facing otherwise), but get in the way of each other (untrained groups)
One with one valid vanguard and 2 heavy + 2 medium wounds
Another with 2 light wounds (one of them leader), 2 medium, 1 heavy

The first group strikes for a 16 to attack, +8 damage
The second one strikes for 15 to attack, +8 damage.

If Roberto survives, he can start round 3. Wirth will delay his casting (LoM, delayed actions), so as to strike any barbarian who'd strike at Roberto before he's hurt

(I just realized this is freakin epic! Roberto, alone, facing a rising tide of murderous brutes! With Wirth covering his back from the sidelines!)

The princess hand is dead cold, as she only replies
Maybe not this time...

Looking back, Lucas does his best to put one of the barbarians to sleep. It wasn't much, but it was the best be could do and still get the princess to safety.

[hr][/hr]
Cast Hex of Sleep on the barbarian who looks toughest and least hurt.

Casting Total: 1D10+21 = [3]+21 = 24; not a great roll. Hopefully it helps.

(I just remembered that Hex of Sleep has Sight range)

This is indeed epic!
Taste my fire and steel you motherless sons of dogs!!!!!
A pair of defense rolls: 1D10+22 = [3]+22 = 25
1D10+22 = [5]+22 = 27

Start of the next round, Roberto returns the attack upon the largest most intact vanguard.
Attack roll: 1D10+15 = [7]+15 = 22, +11 Damage

Roberto is a whirlwind of steel, parrying left, ducking right, using one barbarian's attack to inadvertantly block anothers... As impossible as it sounds, despite almost litterally throwing themselves at him, none of them manage to even land a blow on the sword-wielding wizard.

But Roberto isn't all defense either, his steel can bite too, Kindness cutting through a giant's thigh as if through water, dropping the big, mean man to the ground*.

Their counterattack is pretty inneffective: One is profoundly bleeding, and the other gets hit by Lucas spell right on time (although, due to the sounds of battle, he'll wake in the next round), meaning that Roberto should have no trouble defending against them**

Seeing that his friend is safe, Wirth unleashes his magic on unwounded opponents. Next turn, he'll also hold his action. Bless Roberto's intimidation for making them so slow and sloppy. Once again, he almost loses control of his magic***, but his spell penetrates nonetheless. But from now, he'll save his magic for if Roberto really needs it

But Roberto ain't out of the woods yet, as fresh barbarians take the place of the wounded ones (In short, they'll replace the vanguard, since these are the most wounded usually). Despite their inability to hurt him, despite the carnage he's already unleashed, they keep going at him!

Since Roberto goes first, their defense totals will be 11 and 12, you can thus directly give me a damage total..

• Heavy Wound power!

** : A 12 for the first group, a 7 for the other.

*** 10, 8, 7
Rolling for botch (why, oh why?) 1, 4, 7, 9, 2, 8 (Phew!)

Barbarians tally:
1 (Vanguard): One Heavy (-5), replaced by Number 14 on next turn
2: 1 heavy
3: 1 heavy
4: 1 medium
5: 1 medium

6 (Vanguard): 1 light, one medium (-4), replaced by Number 15 on next turn
7: 1 light
8: 1 medium
9: 1 medium
10: 1 heavy

11: 1 medium
12: 1 medium
13: 1 medium

Rush in and die, sea dogs! Die!!!!!!!
Only one attack can be made, so versus the Defense 11 guys...
Attack roll: 1D10+15 = [4]+15 = 19
Advantage 8, plus 11 for the sword, total damage 19
versus a Soak of 6 I think? At Size +1, resulting in a Heavy Wound.
Then in defense...
a pair of defense rolls: 1D10+22 = [0]+22 = 22
1D10+22 = [3]+22 = 25

Botch check Botch Check: 1D10 = [5] = 5
whew
What of the palace guards? Are they still gawking? Have the fled? or are they ready to choose a side?

Acutus leaves the two wounded barbarians as they represented little threat to him, and chased after the group, his teeth lunging at the first he can reach.

[hr][/hr]

For fun, Acutus will spend a confidence point (assuming he hit) to perform a Mythic Feat per his inner heartbeast mystery. In his case, it will be a feat of strength that will "inflict a Heavy Wound on a creature of Size +1 or less on a successful attack" (HoH:MC pg 32)

Attack Total: 11 + 5 = 16 (will use confidence if necessary to make sure he hits, and he can use 2)
Damage Total: automatic Heavy Wound
Defense Total: 3 + 8 = 11 (will use confidence if necessary, and he can use 2)

Combat Stats:

I'm sick, so excuse me if I make mistakes.

Roberto deploys all his mastery. Faced by this, all the barbarians fury proves no match for his years of training, supplemented by his superior equipment.

One on one, he would beat any of this guys with closed eyes. But they're so many, how long until one of them gets a lucky shot? This is what Wirth fears, as he tries to keep track of the fight, hoping he'll be able to save his friend from such a dire fate, hoping he won't have to.
Of course, roberto doesn't bother with such concerns. He can do it! Despite their numbers and size, these guys are like children before him! And he notices one thing: The barbarians seem less eager to die than before, their ranks thinner. Could he have broken their assault?

As per the guards, Roberto is too concentrated on his fight to see what they do, but two things are sure: They aren't coming to his help, but they aren't helping the barbarians either.

Wirth grits his teeth. What are these guys doing? This is now or never!

Attack rolls vs Roberto: 11 and 14.
Defense Roll vs Roberto: 10

Lucas exits the place without being impeded in any way

The brute may run, but he will never run as fast as Acutus can swim.
The great shark's savagery has left a trail of blood and entrails through the city, and he'd just added one spot to the map. The streets are desert, yet his blood boils, and he still aches for battle and slaughter. In the distance, though, he can hear the clash of weapons.

• For the record:
    1 (Vanguard): One Heavy (-5), replaced by Number 14 on next turn

6 (Vanguard): 1 light, one medium (-4), replaced by Number 15 on next turn

14: 1 heavy

PoF, five times, choosing five yet uninjured targets.
Starting with 28 (Stamina +1, Creo 6+3, Ignem 12+3, Aura +3, Mastery 4, Shout the Words +1, No Gestures -5)...
multicast PoF x five: 1 = 1 = 1
1 = 1 = 1
1 = 1 = 1
1 = 1 = 1
1 = 1 = 1

:bulb:
...that...
That was a once-in-a-hundred-thousand roll. I have never ever seen that happen before. And they do me no good! They are individual rolls, and exploder results matter not. Spells either penetrate or they don't.
For academics, I will roll the exploders. But with the lowest possible result being 4 (double of two), it is pretty much a moot point. exploders: 1D10 = [2] = 2
1D10 = [1] = 1
1D10 = [9] = 9
1D10 = [8] = 8
1D10 = [7] = 7

and one more...
exploder: 1D10 = [1] = 1
It just keeps going...
exploder: 1D10 = [3] = 3
So, minus level 20, +3 for Penetration & +5 for Penetration Mastery, I get Penetration Totals of 20, 36, 34, 32, & 30
Now watch the damage rolls suck...
five times: [url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=99349]Fire Damage: 1D10 + 15 - 5 = [5]+15-5 = 15
1D10 + 15 - 5 = [2]+15-5 = 12
1D10 + 15 - 5 = [4]+15-5 = 14

• 1D10 + 15 - 5 = [0]+15-5 = 5
    1D10 + 15 - 5 = [7]+15-5 = 17[/url]
  • Botch check Botch Check: 1D10 = [3] = 3
    That was weird and wild. I will probably never see a quintupple roll of "1" ever again in my life :slight_smile:

:laughing:
Nooo! Poor marko! It really is completely useless :laughing:
Ok, I'll grant you successful defense rolls, since you forgot to do these anyway.

Is Roberto weakening? Or is something bolstering his ennemies? His fiery streams are not do deadly this time, "only" inflicting 3 medium wounds and a light one.
Still, this proves enough, and the assault on him finally collapses, one assaillant recoiling, then another, until all those who are able to do it flee from the wizard's wrath, leaving Roberto alone amongst the wounded and bleeding. If you want to strike at the fleeing or kill the wounded, now would be a good time.

You also get a good view of the place, some of the guards having fled, some still looking completely unsure of what to do, and the people, all looking at you, stunned.

Unbelievable, mutters Wirth

• For the record:
    1 : One Heavy

6 : 1 light, one medium

14: 1 heavy
15: 1 Medium
16: 1 Medium
17: 1 Medium
18: 1 light

There is no need to be a butcher. If they are rendered combat non-effective, let them flee or whatever.
Roberto turns to the remaining guards. Well? What say you now?
Then he contacts Ciditio to communicate through Horus to speak to Lucas.
Ask Lucas if he is clear. I'll fight Attumah if he needs more time. But otherwise I want to find Acutus and get on up out of this place.

Lucas replies to Cidito, via Horus, as soon as he's out of the city.

Acutus arrives on the place just as Roberto is looking around him, making sure no one will try to strike him down. Between the ones Roberto cut down and the wounds inflicted by wirth, the stench of blood is foremost to his acute senses, mingled with the taste of fried flesh.

Lucas, once clear of the place, made his way through the city at due speed. Yet, this all happened so fast, he's still in Herakleion, although, being both invisible and flying, he'd be almost impossible to detect and target without special means.

Ever the cautious one, wirth stays invisible, watching out for Roberto.

And Roberto? Well, you stand amidst a score of wounded barbarians, catching your breath after this intense bout of exertion. Some of your victims depart clumsily, holding their guts, whereas about about half of them just lay there, too greviously wounded to be able of much.

The guards startle, and kneel before you, followed by the entire crowd of mermen.

For a moment, it seems as if they've yielded, but then, you notice something in the corner of your eye. You stand and watch as, out of the palace gate, a massive (almost as bit as an elephant) crab-like beast emerges. Riding it as an oversized horse, wielding the trident of King Triton, you see a gigantic and heavily muscled humanoid, who bares his fangs at you, the guards and croonies behind him as inconsequent as a wave before a storm.
You couldn't wait for me, huh? Ah like dat.
He spits
Dey deserve death anyway, to be beaten so easily.
You wanted to fight. Ah will crush ya.

At that, the crowd roars, although there's something off between their cries of joy and sickly look.
Glory to the king! Attumah!

If you want to try and flee, both Lucas and Soteira are reasonnably safe, only you and wirth remain. Of course, you can take him. After all, he's just an oversized barbarian, isn't he? You eat these like candy, he'll just be the main course.

Roberto stands tall.The Flame does not waver, for the Ghost and the Sharkman stand by his side. He knows in his heart this is what must be done. The lives of many depend on me. The princess will be safe, I just need to buy her just a little more time to get out of the city and out of range of magical search. God be willing, the three of us here will put this beast down now and end this..
Roberto scowls and grins at Attumah. :smiling_imp:
Glad you could make it. You were running late so I started without you.