Thomas ex Tremere (Development)

I just nitpick things I see. No issues at all really. Except Magic Theory. It's legal, I just really think such a low score is inadvisable.

Fair enough! Again, it's something that would probably be getting raised fairly quickly during play. But there wasn't too much reason for him to spend any more time studying it, at least initially.

Nope. I checked afterwards, the bit about talisman bonus only appear in reference to when you prepare it for enchantment or instill an effect. But neither of these can apply before the item becomes a talisman. And making an item your talisman, which takes up a season, is not only none of these, but even if it was, the item isn't yet a talisman.

To be sure, I didn't look at every published magi, but all those I looked at had, at most, as many attunement as they have enchantments, whereas, if making it a talisman gave a bonus, we'd have attunements = enchantments +1. Most notably, Darius, in the corebook, has one enchantment and one attunment.

Sigh... Told you, it's more a feeling than anything else.
Champion, with high totals = flambeau.
Soldier, with lower totals but more preparation and teamwork = tremere.
One of the charms of Tremere, IMO, is that it forces you to think differently, since you can't rely on brute strength (focus) so much as other houses.

To me, a Tremere without the house focus feels off. It feels like a non-tremere.
I'm muuuuuch more in favor of Johnathan Link's rule of considering the Tremere focus a different virtue, which doesn't preclude a Magical Focus (Nooo, with this post, I'll summon him!!! We're all dooomed! :smiley:), although since designing Tremere magi, I've come to appreciate the difference and added challenge (which feels Tremere to me)

You know, I believe you're the first player to have noticed that you could also have "lab texts" for chargen items...

Nope, re-read the rules: Magic items provide bonus as a last resort, if and only if it doesn't look like an existing virtue or flaw.

I believe this is to avoid having a recursive loop: I enchant an item that boosts my lab total, allowing me to enchant an item that boosts even more my lab total, allowing me to create another item that is even better at boosting my lab total than the previous one...

Thanks, you're much more clear than I.

Euh... I believe this is related to what we discussed, and I may just ignore this?
Anyway, IMO, I'd do it a little differently, with the pieces of turquoise being lesser enchantments to imprison ghosts, and the throne a lesser one to rule them.

I'll just post now, this is becoming too long, and take up another post for page 4. Sorry for the delay.

Posting a 'final' copy (for really real this time?) of Thomas here in a minute.

Fixer, that's what happens when you read the CharGen rules a thousand times!

It's quite alright, the lab/enchanting it are a moot point now.

Yup, disregard.

Marko, I've taken your advice into account about MT with this version.

Fixer, I've borrowed fairly heavily from your Tremere concept on the Wiki that you linked me. You need to stop giving me good ideas sir!

Thomas ex Tremere

Int: 2
Per: 1
Pre: 1
Com: 1
Str: 0
Sta: 1
Dex: 0
Qik: 0

Confidence 1 (3)

Virtues:

Affinity - Rego
Arcane Lore
Book Learner
Educated
Flawless Magic
Leadworker
Minor Magical Focus Certamen
Puissant - Parma Magica/Penetration

Flaws:

Driven - Serve House Tremere (Major)
Favors - Flambeau Magus
Mentor - Vocis
Study Requirement

Abilities:

Artes Liberales (Ritual): 4 (50xp)
Athletics (Running): 1 (5xp)
Awareness (Alertness): 1 (5xp)
Bargain (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Brawl (Dodging) 2 (15xp)
Charm (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Code of Hermes (Defense): 2 (15xp)
Concentration (Spell): 3 (30xp)
English - Native (Prose): 5 (75xp)*
England Lore (Politics): 2 (30xp)*
Etiquette (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Finesse (Rego): 4 (50xp)
Folk Ken (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Guile (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Intrigue (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Latin (Hermetic Use): 5 (75xp)
Leadership (Spirits): 5 (75xp)
Magic Theory (Rego): 4 (50xp)
Order of Hermes Lore (Magi): 3 (30xp)
Parma Magica (Ignem): 1 (5xp) (+2 Puissant)
Penetration (Rego): 4 (50xp) (+2 Puissant)
Philosophiae (Ritual): 4 (50xp)
Profession - Scribe (Copying): 1 (5xp)
Swim (Not Drowning): 1 (5xp)

Arts:

Creo: 5 (20xp)
Intelligo: 0
Muto: 0
Perdo: 0
Rego: 10 (60/40xp)

Animal: 0
Aquam: 5 (15xp)
Auram: 5 (15xp)
Corpus: 0
Herbam: 0
Ignem: 5 (15xp)
Imaginem: 0
Mentem: 5 (15xp)
Terram: 5 (15xp)
Vim: 5 (15xp)

Spells:

Aura of Ennobled Presence
MuIm 5, Per, Sun, Ind
Get +3 on rolls to influence, lead or convince others.

Blink Step
ReCo 10, Per, Mom, Ind
Moves up to 5 paces, instantly

Command the Living Air
ReAu 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Allows the caster to control the actions of an Air Elemental up to size 0.

Command the Living Earth
ReTe 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Allows the caster to control the actions of an Earth Elemental up to size 0.

Command the Living Fire
ReIg 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Allows the caster to control the actions of a Fire Elemental up to size 0.

Command the Living Water
ReAq 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Allows the caster to control the actions of a Water Elemental up to size 0.

Coerce the Spirit of Magic
ReVi 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Makes a magical spirit obey the caster, Com + Leadership to see how effective the maga’s threats are. The storyguide should always give a bonus or penalty depending on the potency of the threats, but note that any roll other than a botch compels at least minimal obedience, while increasing rolls indicate a more cooperative spirit.

Demon's Eternal Oblivion
PeVi 10, Voice, Mom, Ind
Destroys 10 Might from an Infernal Realm Creature

Sap the Might of the Mythical Beast
PeVi 10, Voice, Mom, Ind
Destroys 10 Might from a Magic Realm Creature

The Faerie's Bane
PeVi 10, Voice, Mom, Ind
Destroys 10 Might from a Faerie Realm Creature

Thomas ex Tremere
Warping: 1 (13)

Int: 2
Per: 1
Pre: 1
Com: 1
Str: 0
Sta: 1
Dex: 0
Qik: 0

Confidence 1 (3)

Virtues:

Affinity Rego
Arcane Lore
Book Learner
Educated
Flawless Magic
Imbued with the Spirit of Vim
Leadworker
Mercurian Magic
Minor Magical Focus Certamen
Puissant - Parma Magica/Penetration

Flaws:

Difficult Spontaneous Magic
Driven - Serve House Tremere (Major)
Favors - Flambeau Magus
Mentor - Vocis
Study Requirement
Weak Spontaneous Magic

Abilities:

Artes Liberales (Ritual): 4 (50xp)
Athletics (Running): 1 (5xp)
Awareness (Alertness): 1 (5xp)
Bargain (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Brawl (Dodging) 2 (15xp)
Charm (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Code of Hermes (Defense): 2 (15xp)
Concentration (Spell): 3 (30xp)
English - Native (Prose): 5 (75xp)*
England Lore (Politics): 2 (30xp)*
Etiquette (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Finesse (Rego): 4 (50xp)
Folk Ken (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Guile (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Intrigue (Magi): 1 (5xp)
Latin (Hermetic Use): 5 (75xp)
Leadership (Spirits): 5 (75xp)
Magic Theory (Rego): 5 (75xp)
Mercurian Cult Lore (Initiating Others): 2 (15xp)
Order of Hermes Lore (Magi): 3 (30xp)
Parma Magica (Ignem): 5 (75xp) (+2 Puissant)
Penetration (Rego): 4 (50xp) (+2 Puissant)
Philosophiae (Ritual): 4 (50xp)
Profession - Scribe (Copying): 1 (5xp)
Swim (Not Drowning): 1 (5xp)

Arts:

Creo: 10 (55xp)
Intelligo: 5 (15xp)
Muto: 5 (15xp)
Perdo: 5 (15xp)
Rego: 20 (210/140xp)

Animal: 5 (15xp)
Aquam: 5 (15xp)
Auram: 5 (15xp)
Corpus: 5 (15xp)
Herbam: 5 (15xp)
Ignem: 5 (15xp)
Imaginem: 5 (15xp)
Mentem: 5 (15xp)
Terram: 5 (15xp)
Vim: 10 (55xp)

Spells:

Aegis of the Hearth
ReVi 50, Touch, Year, Bound (Ritual)
Mastery 5 - Stalwart Casting. Efficient Casting, Secure Casting, Penetration (2)

Aura of Ennobled Presence
MuIm 5, Per, Sun, Ind
Get +3 on rolls to influence, lead or convince others.
Mastery 1 - Flex to Touch

Blink Step
ReCo 10, Per, Mom, Ind
Moves up to 5 paces, instantly
Mastery 1 - Fast

Circular Ward Against Demons
ReVi 20, Touch, Ring, Circle
All creatures with Infernal Might equal to or less than the level of the spell are unable to enter the circle or harm those within it. If you cast the spell again, the stronger ring dispels the weaker, regardless of the order of casting.
Mastery 2 - Ceremonial Casting, Penetration

Circular Ward Against Faeries
All creatures with Faerie Might equal to or less than the level of the spell are unable to enter the circle or harm those within it. If you cast the spell again, the stronger ring dispels the weaker, regardless of the order of casting.

Circular Ward Against Magical Beings
All creatures with Magic Might equal to or less than the level of the spell are unable to enter the circle or harm those within it. If you cast the spell again, the stronger ring dispels the weaker, regardless of the order of casting.

Coerce the Spirit of Magic
ReVi 25, Voice, Conc, Ind
Like "Coerce the Spirit of the Flame", this more potent theurgic spell gives you control over any disembodied spirit from the magic realm, if you can coerce it into submission. The more lurid and dramatic the threats, the more cooperative the spirit is. If the spell penetrates the spirit’s Magic Resistance, make a stress roll of Com + Leadership to see how effective the maga’s threats are. The storyguide should always give a bonus or penalty depending on the potency of the threats, but note that any roll other than a botch compels at least minimal obedience, while increasing rolls indicate a more cooperative spirit.
Mastery 1 - Penetration

Command the Living Air
ReAu 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Allows the caster to control the actions of an Air Elemental up to size 0.
Mastery 1 - Flex Size

Command the Living Earth
ReTe 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Allows the caster to control the actions of an Earth Elemental up to size 0.
Mastery 1 - Flex Size

Command the Living Fire
ReIg 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Allows the caster to control the actions of a Fire Elemental up to size 0.
Mastery 1 - Flex Size

Command the Living Water
ReAq 20, Voice, Conc, Ind
Allows the caster to control the actions of a Water Elemental up to size 0.
Mastery 1 - Flex Size

Demon's Eternal Oblivion
PeVi 10, Voice, Mom, Ind
Destroys 10 Might from an Infernal Realm Creature
Mastery 1 - Penetration

Leap of Homecoming
ReCo 35, Per, Mom, Ind
Transports you to any place that you have an AC to.
Mastery 1 - Fast Cast

Incantation of Summoning the Dead
ReMe 40, Arc, Conc, Ind (Ritual)
Calls up a person's ghost. You must be on the sport wher the person died, or must have the corpse. Alternatively, you can summon any ghost that haunts the area you are in, if you know the ghost's full name.
Mastery 3 - Stalwart Casting. Efficient Casting, Secure Casting

Rarefy the Crude Air
CrTe 30, Touch, Mom, Ind (Ritual)
This ritual spell rarefies a base amount of Air (up to a 5 pace diameter and 2 paces high) to bring an Air elemental into existence. At its maximum size, the elemental has a Might of 15 and a Size of 0, but smaller fires will yield smaller elementals. The character guides given in RoP: Magic describe typical elementals created by this spell. For larger (and thus more powerful) elementals, this spell must be invented with a Size modifier to the target, with each application of the modifier giving +3 Size. Since Size determines Might (see later), 1 extra size magnitude gives an elemental a Might of 20 (Size +3), 2 a Might of 25 (Size +6), etc. This spell doesn’t need to penetrate the Might of the elemental instantiated; until the completion of the spell, the elemental doesn’t exist.
Mastery 3 - Efficient Casting, Flex Size, Stalwart Casting

Rarefy the Crude Fire
This ritual spell rarefies a base amount of fire (up to a 5 pace diameter and 2 paces high) to bring an Fire Elemental into existence. At its maximum size, the elemental has a Might of 15 and a Size of 0, but smaller fires will yield smaller elementals. The character guides given in RoP: Magic describe typical elementals created by this spell. For larger (and thus more powerful) elementals, this spell must be invented with a Size modifier to the target, with each application of the modifier giving +3 Size. Since Size determines Might (see later), 1 extra size magnitude gives an elemental a Might of 20 (Size +3), 2 a Might of 25 (Size +6), etc. This spell doesn’t need to penetrate the Might of the elemental instantiated; until the completion of the spell, the elemental doesn’t exist.

Rarefy the Crude Stone
This ritual spell rarefies a base amount of stone (up to a rock of 5 paces diameter and 2 paces high) to bring an Earth elemental into existence. At its maximum size, the elemental has a Might of 15 and a Size of 0, but smaller fires will yield smaller elementals. The character guides given in RoP: Magic describe typical elementals created by this spell. For larger (and thus more powerful) elementals, this spell must be invented with a Size modifier to the target, with each application of the modifier giving +3 Size. Since Size determines Might (see later), 1 extra size magnitude gives an elemental a Might of 20 (Size +3), 2 a Might of 25 (Size +6), etc. This spell doesn’t need to penetrate the Might of the elemental instantiated; until the completion of the spell, the elemental doesn’t exist.

Rarefy the Crude Water
This ritual spell rarefies a base amount of stone (up to a 5 pace diameter and 2 paces high) to bring an Water Elemental into existence. At its maximum size, the elemental has a Might of 15 and a Size of 0, but smaller fires will yield smaller elementals. The character guides given in RoP: Magic describe typical elementals created by this spell. For larger (and thus more powerful) elementals, this spell must be invented with a Size modifier to the target, with each application of the modifier giving +3 Size. Since Size determines Might (see later), 1 extra size magnitude gives an elemental a Might of 20 (Size +3), 2 a Might of 25 (Size +6), etc. This spell doesn’t need to penetrate the Might of the elemental instantiated; until the completion of the spell, the elemental doesn’t exist.

Sap the Might of the Mythical Beast
PeVi 10, Voice, Mom, Ind
Destroys 10 Might from a Magic Realm Creature
Mastery 1 - Penetration

Summoning the Spirit of Magic
ReVi 40, Arc, Conc, Ind
The Vim version of form-specific summoning spells, this calls a magical spirit if the magus has an Arcane Connection or knows its full name, and overcomes the spirit’s Magic Resistance. (The name can be a non-magical name; it need not be a magical true name or name of power). A fire, pond of water, earth or wind serves as an Arcane Connection to any elemental spirit that resides in the area.
Mastery 1 - Ceremonial

Sustain the Demanding Spell
ReVi 35, Touch, Sun, Ind
Sustains a spell up to level 30
Mastery 1 - Imperturbable

The Faerie's Bane
PeVi 10, Voice, Mom, Ind
Destroys 10 Might from a Faerie Realm Creature
Mastery 1 - Penetration

The Shrouded Glen
ReMe 40, Touch, Year, Bound (Ritual)
Prevents the location from being found except on a Perception Stress Roll of 12+. Increased difficulty if the terrain is bad.

Watching Ward
ReVi 40, Touch, Special, Ind (Ritual)
Holds another spell on a given target until that spell is triggered by a simple condition

Lab:

Size: 0
Refinement: 0
Quality: -1 (+ Familiar)
Upkeep: +1
Safety: +1 (+ Familiar)
Warping: 0
Health: 0
Aesthetics: +6

Mentem: +1
Rego: +1
Spells: +7

Greater Feature - Library: +2 Aesthetics, +3 Spells

Dedicated Building: +1 Upkeep, +1 Aesthetics, +1 Rego
Superior Construction: +1 Safety, +1 Aesthetics
Highly Organized: +1 Quality
Servant: +1 Safety, +1 Aesthetcs, +1 Mentem
Spotless: +1 Health, +1 Aesthetics

Greater Focus - Library: -2 Quality, +4 Spell

Just off the top of my head I noticed that he has spend 285 out of 300 points from gauntlet on Arts. You're only supposed to spend a maximum of 150 on Arts.

You're quite correct, I messed up when copy and pasting! It's fixed now.

So he has Flawless Magic and didn't spend any xp in 15 years further mastering any spells?

Very odd.

He did, I just didn't label it as such, would you like me to? I lumped it under general 'XP' use, I didn't break down the XP gain seasons. I went the abstract route vs detailed season by season.

Oh, I see the masteries now.

I see you've posted a new sheet on page 5.

I haven't seen it, this is all for page 4, so some of my points may be moot.

Both Stalwart and Efficient are listed as "Rare - Cult of Mercury", meaning "Normally available to a select group, requiring the magus to be part of that group or be taught the ability by one of them".

Secure is "Uncommon - House Bonisagus", so you should write something about it.
Idem for Forceful, with house flambeau.

This is a little too much, since these come up so often (And I'd have put Forceful casting at +3, not +5, but that's another story :laughing:).
Hum... Maybe shift your favor flaw to explain either of these? It'd open up your character story options (since you already have the Driven flaw to cover house Tremere, anyway), and would help explain of you got some of these. For exemple,he could have petitionned a Flambeau from [strike]Doiss[/strike] Aedes Mercury to teach him the flambeau and Mercury secrets, in exchange for future favors.

Otherwise, nice character, nice spell selection, will be useful to the covenant, like it. Very similar to a concept I did, I dunno if I send it to you.

Your basic casting total is Sta 01 + Rego 20 + Vim 10 = 31.

Ceremonial Casting allows you to raise it to 41, and cast the rituals, at the cost of time: No quick-drawing a circle in a hurry.
I think this fits the character, just making sure you're conscious of it.

BUT, IMO, you made a mistake: Penetration.
Best-case scenario, you're in Andorra's aura, your penetration will be around 41 + 5 (aura) + 7 (skill) - 40 = 13 + die. Raising your Vim to 20 (no small feat) will only raise your penetration to 23 + die. You've got almost 15 lost spell levels here. And you can seldom count on Andorra's aura.

I'd suggest lowering the circles to 30, or even 25.
Lvl 30: Penetration becomes 23 + die.
Lvl 25: Penetration becomes 28 + die. Swap Ceremonial Casting for Penetration Mastery, you get down to 19 + die, but your circles are much faster to draw, should you need them.

You might even want to take lvl 20 circles, with Penetration Mastery. Without any aura, this means a penetration of 18 + die, meaning they'll work just fine in any mundane or magical place, are still usable in faerie auras, and only slightly reduced in power in moderate infernal auras (As a comparison, your present circles have an effective penetration of 41 - 3 (aura) +7 - 3 (aura bonus to the demon's MR) - 40) = 2 + die in a lvl 3 infernal aura, assuming the demons let you take your time. If not, it's down to Die - 8 )

Likewise, he has no penetration for his Aegis, I suppose this is on purpose (Useless vs creatures, but great versus enemy spells and powers)?

??? This is a mastery for damage spells. I can't see it being any use there.

I suggest instead you take either Penetration Mastery, or rather Imperturbable Casting.

This is very low, for a magus 15 years PG.
Most importantly, it'll limit the amount of vis you may use in a season to 6 pawns, which will greatly impede your ability to enchant items.

You're also at the point where 1 more point of MT lab total costs 15xp and applies over all arts. This is about as much as 1 more point of Creo/Rego, and only half as much as one more point of Mentem or Vim.
=> Unless you don't intend to enchant anything (including a talisman) and want to stay focused on Mentem and Vim spells only, I'd say it's worth it to lower your arts a little in order to raise your MT.

There's 2 errors there.

• Finesse is listed at 4 on your sheet, not 7.
  • 60xp added to a skill at 4 without any affinity get you to 110 xp, or skill 6, with some XP to spare.

Anyway, IMO, you don't need finesse at all. None of your spells require it. No Craft Magic spells, no Vilano spells, nothing.
If I were you, I'd drop it entirely, and instead pour the points into other skills.

Likewise, your Leadership is only 1, which will be a REAL impediment in all your attempts to control any ghost or spirit (should you later decide to do that, which seems a natural path given your arts). I'd suggest swapping Perception and Presence for that purpose.

Idem, concentration score is crippling.

Sorry, I'm going very quickly, this is taking me too much time already, so I may miss things :frowning:

So, important stats IMO: Intelligence, Presence.
Important abilities for his magic IMO: Penetration, Leadership, Magic Theory, Concentrartion

Herbam is listed at 5 (15xp) on your charsheet.

I can't check yur totals, so I don't know what's the good score, but I'd advise you to check everything.

Cost in XP = 10 + (20 per Virtue Point) - (10 per Flaw point)
Cost in Time = Seasons equal to the formula above divided by 10 (round up)

That's 10 + (20*3) - (10-3) = 10 + 60 - 30 = 70 - 30 = 40xp
Cost in time = 4 seasons.
So, assuming you did everything else right (didn't check), you're due 10xp = a season. However, if yu drop 2 Circles of Protection to lvl 20, you save a season I think, which covers this cost.

Bleeding from my eyes, gotta go.

Well he is a Mercurian, so that covers his knowing Stalwart and Efficient.

As for the others, it's not a bad plan, I'll consider swapping the flaw over.

You did indeed, I borrowed from that concept quite a bit actually.

Sorry, I missed the part where Circle Wards need to penetrate (different Sagas and all that)! Yeah, I'll be adjusting them down to 20.

The wording was... ambiguous. I was intending to use it to have the option to increase the size of the Elemental, but looking at it, I imagine that Flex 'Size' would do that instead, correct?

Your other comments largely apply to the older character, I had actually (ironically) just made similar updates to your suggestion.

As for how I do my totals, I was listing what was spent to raise it to 10, not the total XP. But I understand the confusion.

As for initiating Mercurian Magic, here's the formula as per Marko's HR section.

Time Required = One Season plus One Season per Virtue Point, minus One Season per Flaw Point.
XP Required = Ten times the Virtue points, minus (Cult Lore x 5)
Maximum of 3 points of Virtues &/or Flaws, Minimum Time Requirement of One Season.

So 1 + 3 Seasons (3 Virtue Points) - 3 (3 Flaw Points) = 1 Season and then for XP, 10 x 3 - (2 Cult Lore x 5) = 20 XP.

I will lk clser in bit. But Mercurian Msteries are fine since he has the Mercurian Virtue of Flaless Magic.
I notice you are trying out some of our Mastery options. Not many have ever seen use so some testing and revision may come from experience. Fixer's suggestion for +3 instead of +5 for Forceful sounds about right. I shall look at that.

He's also a Mercurian, got the Major Virtue and the Cult Lore to back it up! :wink:

Don't worry, I looked and it seems like flex to size does what.

Ah, I guess this Saga sides on the side of 'An Aegis needs to penetrate' huh? It really means that an Aegis MUST be group cast, period.

Honestly, as long as he group casts the Aegis, he's golden (but loses the benefit of Mercurian). But I may consider making a slight tweak and have him learn like a level 30 version as well or something.

Up until now we have not required Aegis Penetration. It is in the HR's. But, until now, no individual knew the spell them self. Now we have two, Thomas and Roberto.

I am not a fan of Aegis Penetration and would prefer not to worry about it. However, I will follow along with what the majority in the troupe would prefer.

Agreed, I'm in the same boat about penetration. I've always hand waved it and said, it's a hell of a spell that we have no idea how it works. AKA it's magic! But if folks would rather it need penetration, that's ok too! Like I said, made a slight tweak to him, so now he has a level 30 version for penetration reasons. If that's not the case, I can easily swap it back.

What is the general issue with Penetration and the Aegis? I'm unfamiliar with the debate.

Basically that it's like a Circle Ward and needs to penetrate a creature's MR to keep it out.