Time to play "You're Doomed!"

I was looking at Item Attunment (HoH, MC, page 135) and it seems to be lacking in cost/benefit. That whole "roll to see if it's still attached" thing does look so bad, until you think a little. Perdo Vim is not a good combo for Verditius. Odds that you may have to roll again are ok if not good. So what? Have you looked at what happens if you botch that roll? Eat (WAG) 75+ Warping points! Yes, you WILL Twilight. Yes, you WILL fail to comprehend said Twilight. It's the grossest thing I've seen as far as possible lab failures. I'll stick with Elder Runes, thank you.

S/P no book in front of me...
Agreed. There isn't any "Bonus" to the lab total, that sets apart the Perdo Vim total from any other lab total. So unless you are specialized in that combination... :stuck_out_tongue: . The only real advantage is the material/Vis limit like a Talisman...
I also agree that Elder Runes is much better. With a high Philosophy score, this makes the Verditius the true Champion of enchanting...

Well, if a Verditius had already invested in a very safe lab (positive safety, as per the Covenant book), he might well be able to do it safely : while the rules do say that he gains a potentially gigantic amount of warping if he botches, they don't say that he rolls that number of dice to determine whether he botches in the first place, so I would assume a standard 3 dices would be called for. With safety 3 in the lab, that's 0 dice, and he is safe.

Two things Halancar. The PeVi roll does not appear to be a lab activity (doesn't take any time or vis) and I think the amount of botch dice is (following the format of the Mystery) going to be the amount of Vis you put into the item. So a very safe lab (20+ safety) will leave you with 55+ botch dice.....

I disagree. The very fact that they will be needing to use it for this is a good reason they should study up on this combo, but there are also many other uses for it. Wands that dispel magic, a sword that harms demons (or other supernatural creature) by draining might, masking the powers of an item, and more. The item that won the Verditius contest at the 2008 Grand Tribunal was the "Hammer of Shattering the Magus' Pride", a Perdo Vim device in the form of a hammer that knocks down Parma Magica.

Hi,

Perdo is a fine Art. Where the effects of other Techniques are transitory, by default, things that are Perdoed usually stay that way. Where a magically created medium is resisted, the sudden lack of medium due to magic is not resisted (canonically). Perdo can be used like a cudgel or a scalpel. It's quite nice, really.

Perdo Vim is a nifty combination. It is suitable for a Fast Cast defense versus any supernatural effect. The most powerful adversaries either have Might, various supernatural powers or both. PeVi is a one-stop shop for supernatural pest control. Not good for a Verditius? How about a "demon zapper" (in the form of a chandelier that has a garish violet glow, naturally) that you place in a room, and continually (+10 unlimited charges) emits a Room Target DEO, with lots of Penetration? I can see a market for those....

Anyway,

Ken