Trading of the Tomes (1239)

The conversations vary topically across the table with the input of rumours and recent events providing many jump points.
Observations on the demeanour of each person present range widely. Ethan frequently asking a person more depth on their background, sometimes where he might already know the answers. At times Jeanne speaks quietly to Davok, and other times she gives Francois a challenge for the most talkative member of the table. Banter is swapped between Helen and Jeanne who clearly have a good relationship, although Helene always speaks respectfully to the elder Magus. During the main meal the wolf departs. Davok is very quiet and seems content to listen rather than participate. All the while Ethan's robed figure stands at attention near him, hard to see in the flickering light, statue like.

The food and wine is very respectable, you are each clearly being treated as significant guests.

OOC: now is the time for any specific topics, questions, you may have, or observation rolls.

"Francois, I am curious what will happen to your family estates once your brother passes? Will you be able to take them over or are they held under feudal obligation? Or is there a chance the church or crown will find reason to take it? I understand a lot of lands might be lost in their prosecution of Cathars."

Lucas is happy to pass along what gossip he has - likely far less than Rolicheaux. As for information he's looking for, he's primarily interested in what they can tell him about the other covenants in the tribunal, as he will be visiting each of them soon. He has questions about their own covenant he'd dearly like answered. But he's mindful that a proper guest should not pry to greatly into the goings on of his host.

Helene looks downward as the topic starts; Francois doesn't bat an eyelid with his response, "I hope my brother, by His grace, will pass with no more pain. The families estates will go to my nephew, who is a good man. Fair and oft wiser than I am in matters of statecraft. There was a little contention to resolve with regard to my own succession, and that of our wider standing, but I have removed myself from the picture. Having Royal support for my nephew helped smooth the relations. "

"Mundane politics turn quicker than the Order's in my observation, and some matters we might consider trivial cause concerns. Better one of our own is devoted to it, rather than a Magus nibbling at the edges."

"My nephew's youngest son Rudolph recently came of age and has such grand designs and opinions. We call him the the 'quiet prince' for he is ever instructing the family on this and that. " looking to his apprentice "much like my own experience". Helene looks up "well if you would abdicate less if your responsibilities to me, you'd have to follow less of my instructions; Master. Lucas here is our proposed trade concerning the library." One of her eyebrows is raised at her Master and he just grins. Helene returns your summary with a few additional papers.

After more banter ...
Jeanne asks "Magus Richeaux, I am interested in your next steps in helping the Abbey. We have made a commitment to assist and perhaps we could work together?"

"Given my duties the aid I can render is limited, I plan to journey to the abbey and aid with repairs for the time I am here, but what primarily has me concerned is the pattern of accidents, which suggests the possibility some agency beyond providence or luck may be at play, and I hope to look into that while I am there."

"Oh," Lucas says over a sip of an excellent red. "Is there trouble at the local abbey?"

Jeanne replies "The Abbey has had some difficulty, and approached us to aid through Father Dion who is our itinerant priest. We have committed resources to assist, and I believe the Tribune will be inspecting the abbey personally at some time. Theirs is a case of charity which was difficult to resist. Although the abbey is not close enough to be a real concern to Ara Maxima Nova we do have our moral duty to uphold."

"It's certainly important to keep a good relationship with the Church," Lucas replies. "I hope that the matter gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction."

[hr][/hr]
I get the impression this is more for Rilcheaux. Besides, Lucas is on a schedule!

"The tribune will be inspecting? I had not heard of this before. Is there an indication that this is more than a collection of accidents?"

Francios jumps in, "I intend to travel down to check the work the covenant folk will be undertaking. We need to have a hand in the restorations, at the very least to maintain the work is right and correct. Father Dion will I hope also be visiting as well. I do not think their issues are supernatural in origin."

"Father Dion had indicated he would be traveling that way, and invited me to come down, lend a hand while I may, and look into the situation."

"Then you'll undertake your investigations independently of our covenants name, perhaps you may bring credit to Andorra" replies Jeanne. "Francois please see that Father Dion is clear on this too."
"Thank you all for the wonderful distraction, but I have more to do this night and I do not recover as well as my youthful comrades. "

"Well, technically, he'll bring credit to the Mercer House in Andorra," Lucas observes. "They're a separate entity that occupies part of the covenant grounds. But the members of the Mercer House aren't members of the covenant. My wife, for example, is one of the Redcaps of the Mercere Quarter in Andorra, but not a member of the covenant of Andorra."

"Of course, though I do not expect to invoke the authority of any covenant in this investigation." Though Rilcheaux does wonder why it would be important to her to distance themselves from an investigation that would be at worst a fruitless search that provides a little peace of mind.

As Jeanne leaves "as long as we are very clear. Good night to you all." Her apprentice follows silently in tow.

Ooc: more questions?

As they're leaving dinner, Lucas catches Rilcheaux away from the others. "Be careful," he says quietly. "There's more to this investigation than meets the eye. Something seems strange. Is there any help you'd like tomorrow before you head out? Disguise spell? Invisibility or silence spell? Flight spell? They're all harnessed and tethered, so you'd have complete control over them. Also, I'll be here at the covenant all day tomorrow if you find you need any backup." He shakes his head. "Arachne may be rubbing off on me a bit. But something about here has me wondering what's really going on."

Not that will be asked at dinner.(questions)

"I agree, something is up, and I am most curious about the Maga Jeanne. She begins by asking if I would like to work with her, then ends up telling me to make sure I do not involve the covenant. I have heard she is becoming reclusive, but she apparently is involved with or concerned with this charity. Something is clearly out of sorts, but I believe my best course will be to focus on the monastery. Flight or invisibility could both come in handy, as long as they can be turned on and off at need. I am obviously much more familiar with enchantments than harnessed spells."

"They can be turned off at will. But turning them back on again would require me to cast them again. It's not ideal, I know. But it might give you an edge." Lucas pauses and wrinkles his lip. "I could contrive a story about going to town for the day and accompany you if you like, or at least remain somewhere close enough to be of assistance."

"There wouldn't be much point then. I don't want to draw the kind of attention that flying in invisibly would generate when I would show up and start asking questions. I'd rather take the time and be introduced properly. If you want to come along then I certainly welcome the assistance, or if you would rather stay here and follow up on book trades and internal intrigues..."