Treasure Trove

Our covenant has stumbled across a vast golden treasure, which presents a significant physical and social problem.

The basics: An companion of the covenant and regular guest found a body in a collapsed mine (she got in there by another route); the corpse had metal ingot. The ingot had some markings, which intrigued her, and she consulted the magi. The magi quickly discovered the ingot was gold; investigation follows, a large amount of gold is found, and a ghost reveals that this gold was due to and property of a particular (long extinct) mundane authority. The ghost charges us to deliver the gold to the mundane authority, or haunting and curses upon us.

OK, so on a mundane level, this is a treasure trove. Some very basic research indicates that a trove, under Roman law (we're in Romantic lands and this was originally a Roman trove) is the property of the finder if on their own land, and half if on another's land. The property issue is murky; let's go with Found on Another's Land.

These are not currently Roman-ruled lands, though. The medieval law may be different. Is there any ArM guidance buried in the text?

I don't see that the Order would find any objection to this; we aren't interfering and I don't see how we can be considered to be causing ruin - we didn't find it magically and we didn't create it, and no other magi are as yet involved.

Technically, of course, the first ingot is clearly the companion's - she is due a share of it. The rest was a covenant effort, so shares around, but is that half of the share to the companion and half to the covenant or one share to each mage and one to the companion?

Of course, the amount of gold found will probably bring trove hunters and various other problems, even if we're quiet about it, including armed noble pests and claimants, but those are problems for later. This isn't exactly Monty Haul. There will be consequences, and so far I haven't even gotten to the supernatural pests likely to show up.

In most lands of 1220 Mythic Europe, the Roman civil law holds. For treasure trove in particular, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_trove#Roman_law . If you tell us the exact place and time, we may or may not know more.

So if the gold was found in the wilderness, or in an abandoned place, likely the prince or king - anyway the top dog feudal lord - by the Hadrianic division (see de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadrianische_Teilung - no English wiki text) would claim half, if he got to know of it. But concealing the places to the authorities, where stuff - not only treasure, but even a dead body - was really found, is a popular sport in the middle ages. And magi would excel at it, if they apply themselves. After all, they most probably have things in their labs nobody is supposed to know about.

Cheers

A lost mine in Empuries, in an area co-ruled by a monastery and the communicant count, under the principality of Catalonia and nominal crown of Aragon.

OK, in 1220 the king of Aragon is James I (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I_of_Aragon), who happens to be count of Barcelona as well, under French suzerainty.

At the time being he is very weak and in the custody of the Iberian Templars who arranged the regency, but this is going to change. If you want to stir up trouble, have a Templar in the service of the Crown of Aragon show up. But seven years after the battle of Muret (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Muret) and under a regency, nobody might bother your magi very much, if they don't flaunt the gold they found.

Cheers

There real problem of course is that it's in the form of ingots. Short of melting it and turning it into stuff you can then sell in a major city.. That's going to cause a problem in actually using said gold. Especially as it's marked with a seal.

How many covenants don't have a lab to melt down small numbers of gold ingots?

Cheers

The magic to manipulate gold is not difficult. Actually, considering that we have connections with House Mercere, and are in the same Tribunal as Bellaquin, we are likely to use the ingots directly as trade goods.

The more I think about it, the more I consider that the companion who found the trove has superior rights to whatever gold is left once the ghost's demand is met. That, we will have to play out.