Tytalus hunt Rome Fall 1195

[Sure. I needed to hear the spell result first.]

Marcus says, «we are not the ones you are looking for. You know that. You need to find your real enemy.» He speaks sincerely to the leader under the spell.

Is he the only one waving blank arms? Or do they all?

They are all ready to strike.

"Oh, sorry, you had the red hat." He turns to face the others "sorry guys, wrong guy. We should hide and wait for the right one."

And the group turns and retreats the way they came.

«ou-uh-ouff,» Marcus sighs with relief. «Quickly, Richard,» he says with a low voice. «Let's find the others. We have a diameter, but we need to appear calm.»

Marcus gets his grog, and they continue away from the scribe's house. They head straight to find the other three magi, circling around the area with the twenty swordmen if necessary.

«That was close, Richard. I had not quite expected such a force heading for me.» Marcus says as they walk. «I have not been subtle enough.»

Did the swordsmen wear any insignia at all?

none, nor did they look particularly organized.

The armed men gone, Richard makes big eyes, a small mouth and slowly exhales the tension. He nods and follows Marcus, it takes a while until Richard finds his voice again. «Sir», he asks, «why did they leave us alone?»

«Oh, because I told him that they were looking for somebody else,» Marcus answers sincerely, «and then he was not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.» He pauses to gauge Richard's reaction.

Richard still looks confused. «Were they? They seemed very sure of their target just moments ago...»
He continues while walking along: «They would have beaten me for sure, even if I indeed weren't the one they were looking for. Or they would have laughed at me... and then beaten me to the ground. I know that kind of folk.»

«Yes, they were a bad lot. You are right they were quite sure, but then I corrected them, and they accepted that. I can be quite convincing when I have to,» Marcus says with a grave face. «Alas, it will only last a few minutes, and then they realise that they were duped. I really hope we find the others straight away.»

«Sir? How do I know when it is time that my shield takes the blow intended for you?» he asks, not questioning the convincingness of his lord any further. «I held back, as you commanded. I don't know if I had been able to bring this in between you and him fast enough», he adds pointing to his shield.

«What does it matter?» Marcus asks, «one shield against twenty swords is of little help. In this event, we had but just one hope. Or two at the time when I said to take it easy. I had in fact thought and hoped that they were after the scribe and not myself.» He pauses, and thinks. «But to your question. I'll be sure to tell you when we stand to fight. There is a time for everything. Your shield will be needed some day.»

each of you roll perception+awareness, stress die, 2 botch dice

4 .. spec is keen eye ... and then there is the poor hearing

Richard has got a 9

You arrive at the meeting spot and report, the Criamon magus is assigned to take a collection of arcane connections to locations to the magic site in case they need to cast leap of the homecoming. There is discussion about what the next step should be, and whether there are any leads beyond the scribe.

The twenty swordsmen is obviously a lead, Marcus points out. Probably not a very good lead, he admits, but «does any of you any good Intellego Mentem effects to use?» Marcus looks at the other two who are still there. «If not, initimidation goes a long way, but then we would need to subdue one of them by force. Would we able to do that if we pool our resources? I mean, they can't stay there indefinitely, but it takes some stealth to get them at the right moment. I know I can't do it on my, but there are three of us...»

Do the Tremere or the Bjornar have any ideas? Or is it just empty talk?

If nothing comes from the discussion, Marcus sits down with the letters and study them again. Can he find any other leads about Palermo in Leo's notes and correspondence?

The Guernicus contemplates this "My magic is more directed towards legitimate investigation of members of the order, direct metal interrogation is a bit outside my usual scope, and the divine aura is certainly a roadblock. If the men are still there we might be able to get one for an interrogation, otherwise we would need to know how to find them."

«Sir,... if my service is not required at the moment...», Richard approaches Marcus, «... I would head out and have something to eat.»
«I can», he adds, «try to figure out if there are bullies like those men to hire in Palermo, maybe this leads to anything?»

«Brilliant Richard,» says Marcus, «do that. And if you are able to see if the swordsmen are still there, without risking your neck, that would be a bonus. Don't feel compelled though. If it is too dangerous, don't think more about it.»

Richard leaves and visits a tavern not far from the scribe's house. On his way he's careful not to run into the swordsmen's again.

In the tavern, he takes a free seat at a table, orders a meal and ale and tries to get into a conversation.

It is late at this point, and the primary conversation at the tavern seems to be one comprised of those engaging in a game of dice.