Varinia ex Merinita

Alright, I've replaced The Ollamh Harp with Draw the Shape of Music From the Tree and The First Sign of the Forest's Rebirth, and replaced Revising the Recent Recollection with The First Impression Made a Second Time. The spells should be ready for another review.

"enchant the tree" is a MuVi, it affects the spell, not the target of the spell. There s no reason that he harp being an animal spell would affect your ability to use enchant the tree on it.

Ohh, I thought that most Muto Vim spells acted only on spells of a specific Form, like Mirror of Opposition (Form) or Wizard's Reach (Form). But now that I look again, I see that Shroud Magic and The Sorcerer's Fork don't have such a restriction. What's the deal there?

I think they may be legacy spells from when the guidelines were different- for example there is no guideline that matches the description of mirror of opposition.

It makes a total change to a spell of less than or equal to half the (level + 1 magnitude) of itself, right? Which, adjusted for voice range, becomes the "half the (level-5)" seen in the spell's text?

Anyway, my question is, when I'm designing Muto Vim spells, do I need them to target a particular Form. Or could I have something like Enchant the Tree Grown From the Sapling that adds two size magnitudes to a spell of any Form?

I'm inclined to allow the specific effect of adding 2 magnitudes of size to be independent of form. The only reason I could see to make the form dependent is if the base spell is overly broad.

Huh, okay. I'll make that change to Enchant the Tree Grown From the Sapling, then. Thanks. I assume something like Wizard's Reach, or an equivalent for Duration, would be broad enough to require being form-dependent?

sorry to retcon what I jus said but I do see the pattern now- when a spell raises another spell's level it requires that spell's form, which changes what I said about your sapling spell (sorry), presumably to prevent someone from simply sinking all their points into vim to dominate all other forms- i do not understand why they would not include this in the guidelines though.

It's a separate spell for each form, but it's not a Form Req.

okay...

Och, no worries. I was honestly a bit worried about how powerful a Form-independent version of the spell would be, and I'm happy to change it back.

And with that change, I believe Varinia is completed. She'd be looking to join a covenant in the Hibernian Tribunal; I'll take a look at the options, but I'd also be open to recommendations.

She will need to have at least one adventure in Macgnimartha...

I thought Macgnimartha was only for magi who were going to Gauntlet in Hibernia; Varinia did her apprenticeship in Scotland.

You're right, I forgot she was an "English" maga. In that case we can have her barge right n on the tribunal meeting as a way to introduce herself...

She may have to hide a bit of a twitch if people call her that. :slight_smile: But that works well! I'll put a post together soon.