Verdi has got Tallent - Judging a Verditius Contest

Which Item gets your vote

• Mage - Dietrich Eberheart // Item Name : Dragonscale Aegis
  • Mage : Milena Vaida // Item Name : The Librarian’s Lectern
  • Mage - Speculus // Item Name - Window of the Stranger
  • Mage : Iris of Brocolitia // Item Name : Torc of the River's Bounty

0 voters

Salve Sodales

The Verditius player in my Saga wanted to enter the contest, and as I and my players are all still new to the system we all rolled up Verditius mages and created enchanted items - now we need judges - we need you!

I've listed the items with a physical description of what they are and what they do for those who don't want to look through the effect designs.

For those who want to look at the effects enchanted and their design these are shown below the descriptions - constructive criticism is welcome and if anyone spots a mistake on the way we have worked out the effects I'd be grateful if you could point it out

Great idea & post.

• Breaker of Steel - probably does not need to concentrate. It's instant when triggered. Does it not affect the wearer's own gear?
  • lectern- healing a book and detecting damage are two spells, and wouldn't the repair require a Finesse check?
  • what is the last +2 in the Change clothing effect in the mirror for?

There is only the Inner Mystery of House Bjornaer (Sensory magic) which allows to affect a target based on the fact that it hears/sees/touch/smells the mage. And it cannot be enchanted in item (p98, HoH Mystery Cults).
If he really achieves this effect (desintegrate when touched), then he should be hand down the winner because he achieved something that was considered impossible by standard means - it can be an interesting story twist if you want to leave the effect mimicking Sensory magic. He integrated Sensory magic into Verditius magic (a new mystery) or even in Magic theory. If he does not win (because people did not realise what he truly achieved) - but the effect works as described - he might receive visit of senior Bjoarner magi willing to buy his silence / secret - another potential story seeds or even declare a Wizard's war. The poor Verditius might not realise why he is suddenly targeted by so many attacks and the Bjornaers will attack him on a different basis so no to attract attention to his brilliant finding.

The closest you can achieve is that the wearer of the chainmail can desintegrate a weapon HE touches with the armour. The effect cannot be triggered by the armour itself.
And by the way, the armour cannot differentiate between being it by an ennemy weapon or just brushing the weapon held by the wearer... so he might have to use wood or stone weapon.

Alternatively, it is a continous effect desintegrating anything made of iron it touch, that the wearer can turn on and off. Then again it will affect as well anything made of iron that the wearer hold and make contact accidentally with the chain mail.

Rego-craft magic cannot have a duration of Concentration - I proposed some house rules based on various assumptions and conditions somewhere on this forum but it is house rules.
Second, as it was pointed out, detecting and repairing should be two separated spells. One can trigger the other with the "Trigger effect" (+3 level) set in the spell parameters.
Third, any rego-craft magic requires a Finesse roll. I would guess that this one should be 6 points higher than the normal difficulty to achieve it through mundane means: +3 because it is magic, and +3 because it will take more than a day, but less than a month.

I like both the torque and the mirror. I will vote for the mirror - but I believe you could go without the Penetration of 10 since the user would lower in Parma for the occasion.
But the chainmail has potential for a big plot, potentially leading to a deadly war between House Verditius and Bjoarner, with Bonisagus racing to integrate it into magic theory: once it is public knowledge, no need to fight anymore. But it will leave a lasting hatred between House Bjoarner and Verditius/Bonisagus since one of their precious secret was disclosed.

• Breaker of Steel

The idea was that the user would activate the ability before going into battle and the device would maintain the effect until the user instructed it to stop concentrating - this would have the effect of destroying any iron coming into contact with the chain mail - since the chain mail is enchanted itself then I didn't think the effect would effect the item - with the range being touch wouldn't it be anything that touched the enchanted device rather than the device affecting itself?
The way the player and I were seeing this would be that any weapon striking the wearer rather than anything the wearer touched (it is the armor that is enchanted rather than the user so it would be something that struck the armor rather than the wearer in general - or have I got that wrong?)

• Lectern detecting books

I've obviously not been clear on this - there is a second effect that identifies damaged books called 'The page that bleeds' - the spell allows the librarian to manually find the damaged books and they will put them in the lectern, there is no ability for the lectern to pull the damaged books themselves
It appears I obviously need to re-read rego craft magic rules...

• +2 on the mirror

I don't have the sheets to hand at the moment but I think this should be for the requisites of Herbam and Terram allowing the mirror to work not only on animal products like leather and wool but also on plant products (ie flax, cotton) and also on any metal items of clothing, jewelry, belt buckles etc.

-Penetration on the Mirror

Lowering the Parma would reduce your MR but as I read the rules would still leave you with form resistance, wouldn't it?

This effect uses Base 5 to change one quality of an object, but I cannot find such a guideline in any of the rulebooks. Admitedly, there is a PeTe base 5 that does that, but here you are allowing Muto to do at the same level something that is already defined as the province of Perdo (make an object weightless). Saying that it is "light as a feather" is simply a cosmetic description of a Perdo effect, IMHO.

You are changing metal here, so you should add 2 magnitudes to the base. The effect is also missing +2 magnitudes for D:Sun.

So if you want to do this with Muto, then I think a case could be made for using Base 4 "Change dirt so that it is highly unnatural". ArM5 p.154 states that this often involves a requisite, so I would be tempted to say that a Perdo requisite is needed (with a +1 magnitude). You might let the magus choose a different requisite instead (for example Animal for a feathery weight). So this would be MuTe 25 (Base 4, +2 Sun, +1 Perdo or other requisite, +2 affect metal). Constant effect adds 4 levels, so the final level would be 29. This is the same level that a straight PeTe effect would be. If you are of the opinion that MuTe should not require a Perdo requisite, then the final level would be 24.

You should probably define the actual game benefit of making the armor weightless in the effect's description. Hauberk of Sublime Lightness (from HoH:S p.38) specifies that a suit of armor made weightless still has a Load of 1 (partial suit) or 2 (full suit).

The description is a bit misleading and the duration is not consistent with Rego Craft Magic, as Ezechiel357 as mentioned.

This might be better done as two seperate effects. One is a InAn effect to identify any damage to a book placed on the lectern, as well as the materials needed to fix the damage, with D:Conc.

Then a ReAn(He) craft magic effect to fix it. There would be a Finesse roll needed. Out of hand, I would be tempted to simply use the Ease Factor that is given in Binding the Hermetic Codex (Covenants p.97), including the added difficulty if the book has resonant materials included in its making. So Int + Finesse against an Ease Factor of 12 + 3 for each resonant material to a maximum of 3 materials.

How can the spell know where the book is supposed to be? This is not something the lectern, or the books, know for themselves. So the lectern need a seperate InMe effect to learn from the user what is the proper storage location of the books. Then this effect could use it with a linked trigger.

Why make this T:Group? The item already has unlimited uses, so why not just change one item of attire at a time?

The last +2 is assumedly for the requisites?

Note that since the power has a Sun duration, the mirror will forget the apearance at sunrise/sunset. Since it is assumedly there to make it easier to renew the appearance after sunrise/sunset, this makes it of limited use. A Moon duration would be better.

Also, I doubt this is really a CrIm effect. It directs the item's other power so that the restore a "saved" appearance, so this might be better described as a 2 seperate effect: an InIm effect (D:Moon) to remember an appearance, and a ReVi effect (D:Mom) to control the item's other powers to restore that appearance.

The effect needs R:Touch, as it affects the target's Vision (an item doesn't have sight), so add one magnitude.

Not sure why you would need this to be T:Group.

It is a bit touchy as described. Based on the description, this effect would need to give the wearer a magical sense (thus a sense Target). Otherwise, it needs a physical way to give the information to the user.

Note that some of the items seem to have more effects enchanted into them than what their material and size allow them to hold. You may want to recheck that. Of course, they could simply use composite materials to increase their capacity.

for the mirror, why penetration?

and those objects are not powerful enough and do not use verditius secrets...
anyway the more original is the mirror

Just a quick comment on Breaker of Steel.
I do not think it should be made with D:Conc; nor do I believe it needs sensory magic.
Instead, you should make give it Unlimited uses, and have as a trigger action the "be touched by a steel/iron/stone object". If you want, it's free to give additional activation conditions, e.g. to exclude objects below a certain size (such as coins), or painted in a certain colour/bearing a certain rune. Another free condition is to say that the item activates only if it is in a certain state (e.g. if all its buttons are fastened) which allows the user to effectively turn the effect on or off at will.

The final level without any penetration is then 20: Perdo Terram 10 (R:Touch, D:Inst, T:Ind - Base 3 destroy dirt, +2 metal, +1 Touch) +10 levels for unlimited uses.

Another quick comment, this time on the mirror.
Face of the Stranger is off in terms of calculation:
Base 3, +2 Sun, +1 Part, +1 Touch is level 20, not 15.

In any case, Face/Attire/Presence of the stranger can be combined into a single effect (assuming you don't want Attire to keep affecting clothing and such even after it's taken off) that allows the user and its attire to look, sound, smell and feel differently. This is MuIm Base 4, +1 Touch, +2Sun, i.e. MuIm20, without requisites, without accounting for uses/day or penetration. Unlimited uses brings it to level 30. Frankly, I think Penetration is unnecessary - I mean, a magus would just suppress his Parma and Form resistance briefly to use the mirror, and it's not as if Penetration 10 can really penetrate the defences of most magi anyways.

As above - when working with my player I didn't think form resistance could be suppressed by the magus so he added penetration.

Mainly because this was an exercise in introducing new players (and a new GM) to the enchantment system. All the mages used to create this were aged 35ish with some lab bonuses so I and my troupe could play with item enchantment in a way that fit into the saga.

My understanding is that cannot be used as a trigger as being touched by a mundane item is not covered under the Environmental trigger - since it is not a 'major magical feature' of the environment as defined in the core rules?

The player wanted it to not be imaginem based - by physically changing the body it would prevent second sight and basic InIm spells finding out the true identity just by looking hard (the current effect would not allow InIm spell to detect anything but the voice and smell had been changed whilst second sight would probably show there was active magic on the face but not allow the person with that skill to see the 'true' face) and so he felt it better to use MuCo to change the person and MuAn with the requisites to change the clothing - he was aware it could be done with Imaginem but he actively wanted to avoid using it as much as possible. He also thought it would (in game) be a more impressive effect so he wanted to show off in the contest (the image of a face being physically molded like a sculptor with clay).

Awesome. Good choice.
Learning by doing is good for labs.