Vigil 1195 summer - the arrival

Éogan translates as requested, and adds on his own account, «we tend not to trust strangers here, not for the first two or three hundred years of residence, anyway. We are all invaders of course, but now my people have been here for a thousand years or so, so now we own the place. A few centuries, and even the English may have a say.»

Hugh nods. "So I gather. I received an unpleasant reception in the south. I didn't expect to be trusted immediately, but courtesy was not met with courtesy. I rather think the people I met were planning on starting a war. People keep talking about "The English"... is that just the way you refer to those not from Ireland that come here?"

«Yes, pretty much. There are not many who come from the South, and those who do, come together with the English, and they come to conquer. The others, who come from the East and the North come to trade. They are different.» Éogan presents it as a matter of fact, without conviction either way. Then he asks, «so why have you come in earnest?»

"I come looking for ancient knowledge. Have you heard of the Mead of Mimir? It's said to give great understanding and magical power to one who drinks it. Certain faeries hold the recipe, and will give it to those who meet their demands - a quest, or challenge. I don't know much more than that. I thought about going to Scandinavia, but I thought that place was less pagan, and more dangerous, than Ireland."

Éogan raises an eyebrow. «No, I am not familiar with Mimir and his mead. Magical power you say? Where does this Mimir live?» he asks.

Hugh smiles and shrugs, hands in the air. "No idea! Somewhere in Faerie. That's one reason I'm here, to do research. I do have ways of getting to him directly, if I can find enough information. I just hope the folk at Vigil are more hospitable than those I met when I first arrived. They were Mack-ni-Martha, whatever that means."

«The Macgnímartha? That's when those Gifted ones take a gap year before their exam. It is the last spree of untamed youth. They grow up afterwards. Sort of.» Éogan says with a smile.

A young woman arrives at the gate "Except of course, those who go to Leth Moga, as I wish I had done. My name is Fionna, and I welcome you officially to Vigil, master Hugh. I was on my Macgnimartha a decade ago when an encounter with a fae of no trivial might resulted in my Gift being stripped from me, though at least I did gain unfading beauty in return. I'm not sure but what I might have asked for that in some was, I was trained Jerbiton by a master who fancied my looks despite my not having the Gentle Gift. I sought a faerie initiation in my year alone to give me the gentle Gift and wound up giftless with ageless beauty instead for my vanity. I help out in the labs here now. So you are seeking a gift from the aesir now, are you?"

Éogan looks up with surprise. Did she ask him or master Hugh? He opens his mouth, but does not speak.

Hugh smiles broadly at the new arrival, and speaks in Latin. "Greetings, Fionna. I hadn't exactly considered it that way, but yes, I suppose I am looking for a boon of the Aesir. I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Gift, I hope you can find a way to recover it. I came to Hibernia just intending to search the land, but someone gave me advice that this place is where the lore of the irish traditions is kept, and maybe the lore of the fae as well?"

"Certainly the lore of the fae, as to lore about irish traditions." she pauses to think "Leth moga has better records, but those are closed, and paresis might technically be more of a keeper of traditions, though... oh, you came across with the English, didn't you?"

Hugh looks uncomfortable. "I won't lie; my timing is unfortunate, but I didn't come here to plunder or even necessarily settle. I didn't understand how things were between the residents here and what you call the English, I just came for a visit, and thought it would be convenient to travel with fellow magi. I didn't realize war was brewing."

«War isn't brewing. It is ubiquitous,» remarks the bard.

"Indeed, you see, Vigil styles itself as the defenders of the isle. The reality of the situation, however, well, if you would like to some in, Enri is busy, but his wife will probably be willing to meet you."

"That's a bit... bleak." Hugh remarks to the bard. "But probably true."

Turning to Fionna, he says, "I promise I am not a threat to Vigil or the isle. Lead and I shall follow, and thank you very much."

He follows Fionna.

She leads you inside the fortification, and once you pass into the building the walls are decorated with lavish tapestries and rugs adorn the floors, while magical lights hang in the air throughout the hallways. soon you come to the kitchens where what appears to be a woman in her late 20s, dressed in an impossibly complex dress of blue and green linen and wearing an assortment of emeralds and sapphires is directing an immense kitchen staff, but when she notices you and the girl turns the operations over to an apparently much older chef. "Fionna, we have visitors! But of course we have visitors, it's just early. Isn't it? It feels early. Let us head to the hall, the noise of the kitchen should not disturb our guests!"

Hugh looks around as he approaches, sniffing. "I'm Hugh of Merinita. Is there a banquet or something planned?" His stomach rumbles at the happy thought of cooked food instead of the raw meat he's been subsisting on in bear form.

[Oh, btw, the fox turned into an actual fox and scampered off into the woods, unless Eogan stayed outside the covenant. Can't come in through the Aegis, I'm assuming.]

The woman in blue smiles "Well, it's dinner, and of course we have guests every night, so, I guess it could be called a banquette." she half shrugs "Around here its just dinner. So what brings you to our table?"

Hugh smiles back at her. "I was told this is the place for a newcomer to learn the lore and customs of Ireland, and I was thinking it might have lore of the faeries of Ireland, too. And maybe, since it's so far north, there might be something about the scandinavians that have come from time to time? I was hoping you would be accepting of guests who wished to do research."

Éogan looked at Fionna to gauge whether he was expected to follow or not. Depending on how he read her face and gestures, he tacitly followed them or stayed behind with the faerie.