voyage of Erik the Red

The Norse settlement 10C-14C seems like a historical exception to me, and politically it seems more American than, say, the French department of Guyane. I am not sure what you mean by ecologically.

I am not an inhabitant of the Northern hemisphere, but my internal mental map of pre industrial America includes vast primeval forests, rolling grass filled plains and the occasional desert, with deer, bison, bullfrogs and snakes.

All ecological stuff that Greenland seems to be lacking.
Yes, logically I should be comparing Greenland with Canada above the Arctic Circle, but emotionally I am having difficulty accepting that as part of "America".

Right, I suppose the entire idea of the Americas, is like extending Australia to the North, and have it include Japan, Korea, and half of Siberia.

Pardon me? Greenland is part pf the Kingdom of Denmark, which happens to permit the US to rent a bit of unused space to use as an airbase.
Yes, it has limited autonomy, but it also has guaranteed representation in the danish parliament.

You can keep the US out of it. I said American; not anything relating specifically to the States.

Greenland is part of the Kingdom of Denmark, but not part of Europe; an argument they pushed when they withdrew from the EU many years ago. It was probably still the EEC then, to be precise.

The population, for the most part, descend from Canadian ancestors and not European ones.

The US was not ever part of Europe either, not even when they were colonies under English rule.

Would you say that Guyane is part of Europe?

I don't see how that's relevant? Not am I on any level qualified to make a call on that subject.
I was merely objecting to this: "politically it seems more American".
It is not. It is part of a European kingdom and eg. does not have an independent foreign policy.

1 Like

Guyane is very relevant since that is what he said Greenland seems politically more American than.

Guyane is geographically located in South America, but it is a fully integrated part of the French Republic and part of the European Union.

3 Likes

Now you have quoted half a sentence which is meaningless without the other half. It is not only not what I said, it does not even mean anything. More American than what?

Mea Culpa. I originally read that as "More American" with the implied 'that not-American'.
Because I shouldn't reply to stuff while half asleep.

It's reasonable to treat the European colonisation of Greenland quite distinctly from that of the rest of the Americas, separated as they are by c5 centuries.

It's worthy of note that pre-contact North America wasn't nearly the terra nullis it's commonly thought of as. It might be quite fun to surprise exploring Hermetic magi (and potentially their players) with the settled and complex Iroquois Confederacy or the Mississippian culture.

That's if you decide the Americas are even there, of course. A very, very wide ocean that stretches to the coast of Cathay would be a surprise of a different sort.

1 Like

So there is an established Bishop in 1220AD, meaning there is likely a Dominion Aura wherever the Bishops have consecrated.The Infernal is probably trying for a look-in.

As for Faerie, they probably turn up where-ever the same story stirs hearts and imaginations often enough. Though there is probably no leftover faerie presence from before Erik The Red.
I am tempted to go the "American Gods" storyline, where old world gods (ie faerie stories) cannot obtain/plant a strong presence in the New World (though I will probably go with Greenland is the mostly frozen stepping stone to the New World)

Thus I suspect all Auras before Erik the Red will be Magic, and remain so for a quite a while.

PS I am a victim of US cultural imperialism and sub-consciously equate "America" with the contiguous USA as a first impulse. Apologies to the rest of the geography of the North American plate.
PPS I am very surprised to learn that the area of French Guyana was known in Mythic Europe times. Unless I misunderstood loke's posts, and he wasn't talking ME times.

Guyane wasn't known in Mythic Europe at the time, and most definitely not by that name. But then, nobody had heard of "America", or American politics either.
Some people did know there was land on the other side of the Atlantic, but not much was known about it.

No, that was part on the discussion of the modern role of Greenland.

If Greenland was colonised only once, you would have a point, but in fact, it was settled by Norsemen in 10C, with shipping routes to Europe for about a 500 years. For some reason, the traffic ceased in 15C. Centuries later, I believe Danish missionaries expected to find a Norse colony, but they did not. They were long gone, for reasons unknown even today. Thus we see a second colonisation which is not at all that different from the colonisation of the continent, and they happen about the same time too.

In a sense, Greenland in 1220 is part of Mythic Europe in the same way as the Holy Land is. Not quite, but yet quite. It is part of Christendom, but it is also the gateway to a largely unknown world beyond. Norse Greenlanders certainly knew that there was a world (Vinland at least, maybe more), now know as America, beyond theirs, and I am sure a few mainland Europeans, such as the pope, would have been informed.