Vulcanus of Flambeau - Development

Most excellent then. Is everything resolved & agreed upon? Or are there any lingering questions or protests?

Nope, everything's fine :smiley:

IMO, his hammer shouldn't work as written*, and a spell would have been more efficient and versatile (IIRC, there's such an effect in a book), so I'd have advised him to do that (or have an invested tatoo doing that) but, well, at first glance, he's probably "paying" more than what it's cost*, so I figured I would not bugger him needlessly.

The only thing is that, as an item, there are 2 options:

• Unless restricted, it comes back to the person saying the command word ("Come to me, Mjolnir!"), so it may be stolen
  • It comes back to an AC, like a worn ring made from the same metal. This is actually a good thing, as, to come back to Vulcanus himself, it would require an AC to him, which would make it a danger (although, given the Thor undersides, maybe you-Ryu wants this)
    This will probably never come into play, so don't bother with this if you don't care, but, IMO, knowing what does what is flavorful, and, if you are so inclined, I advise you to write which one.
  • This is a Personnal ReTe effect activated by a given command: Voice is necessary, although it can be considered to be "extra speed" magnitudes so that it comes back fast

"Whomsoever shall hold this hammer, be they worthy, shall posess the power of Vulcanus!"

(and I know that is not the original quote, I paraphrased :slight_smile: )

:laughing:
Something like that, yes.

Always loved that bit, such a classic!

Was watching The Big Bang Theory a few weeks ago, it is a sitcom here in the US dealing with four super nerdy scientist fanboys. Anyway, while the guys are away at a con, their girlfriends decide to check and see what is so fascinating about comics. Three girls, one is uber nerdy, one is super cute and nerdy, and the third is a hottie and not nerdy at all. Anyway, she is the one that picks up on Thor ('cause she thinks he's hot). The girls each buy a comic and read it, and conclude how stupid the hobby is. Then Penny (third girl, the hottie) makes a snide comment about the hammer in agreement. That turns into a super fanboy style debate that lasts the rest of the episode. That phrase is a key point of contention, and they research several boxes of collected comics to prove or disprove each other's points.
"How do you know Red Hulk is not worthy? Who are you to judge him!?!"

It all starts with comics for this SG. Thor comics led to an interest in Mythology, Conan comics led to an interest in fantasy literature, and these led to D&D, so you can figure out the rest :smiley:

If no one objects I'd like to switch out "Driven" for "Pride." He turns out to be much more vain than I thought he'd be, and his major goal of getting into the Contest wasily falls under the scope of "pride."

You could, but that will rachet up your hubris score. Pride is evident in your hubris, so no need to take it as a seperate flaw. Unless you envision him as being proud to begin with, his essential personality even without magic.

So I still have a season to put into the stupid sword. I was thinking to put in DEO. Now, my applicable arts are low, but I figure, I'm a Verditius, let's see what we can do in a single season.

5 Int + 5 MT + 3 Inventive Genius + 6 Perdo + 5 Vim + 5 Blacksmithing + 5 Verditius Runes (destroy at a distance) + 4 Lab Quality + 6 Familiar + 2 Forge Companion = 46.

Huh. That's good enough to get a DEO level 5, 24x/day, with decent penetration. If I roll a 0 it's probably toast anyway; so I'll go for the 80% chance of hitting my target and just say that 0 and 2 are failures; what can I get if I assume a roll of 3? Hmm, odd number, so let's go for a min roll of 4, and shoot for 27, which would give me a penetration of 34. No, wait, I bet there's lots of demons with might 35, so let's add +1 extraordinary risk and give the item 36 points of penetration. Uhh, did I calculate that right? If I want 36 pen I need a final item total of 28, required LT of 56, which I can expect to get with a roll of... uhh, 46 + 3 from IG and +1 from extra risk is 50, so I'd need a roll of 6 or better. Shit. I don't like those odds. Okay, I'll risk +2 ER and then I just need to not roll a 0, 2, 3, or 4. 60% odds is not great, but Vulc is totally full of himself, so let's go for it. Final answer!

So let's experiment, shall we? 7 is greater than 5, so I pull it off. Fistbump!

Let's see if it all blows up in my face... Nope, everything's fine. But that's a Side effect, hmmm. How bad can it be? Vulcanus is super full of himself, so anything it does as a side effect will still be LEGEN... wait for it...

DARY! Legendary! ...Or it's just a minor side effect. WHICH IS LEGENDARY. Can we say whenever the effect is used, clouds gather overhead? Not in a big way, obviously, just a little stormy flavor.

...Nailed it!

how about a thunderbolt/thunderclap alongside the DEO effect?

Yes, you can always say your DEO appears as a bolt of lightning that smithes evil, thor-style. Usually not a problem, actually pretty cool IMO, but sometimes not very stealthy.

I can see a lightning striking through the blade when the DEO affects something (a warning, in practical terms) to be quite useful. Not stealthy, but precisely what it does is warn you that the guy you just hit is a demon. Since that is not always obvious it can be quite useful as a secondary effect.

Xavi

Hum... Too late for that, but next time, I'd suggest putting instead a touch-range DEO effect into your weapon, calling it something like "Bane of the Infernal" (Base 4, + 1 Touch, destroys 10 might). That way, you could, at least IMO, benefit from your Major Focus in weapons, since, well, you're enhancing the weapon and making it more of a weapon against the infernal, instead of just investing it with a power.
And the focus might allow you to make it unlimited uses, so you could have the strike be the trigger: each time you strike at something, DEO! :smiley:

Hum... Xavi: IMO, it all depends if it is a side effect (so it's always there when he uses the power, as a quirk of his magic) or a beneficial side effect (I can't remember the name, but you get the idea).

facepalm Oh, that's brilliant. I'll ask for suggestions next time.

I feel like a moron now!

I like the thunderclap.

Don't! Sometimes, you just don't want to come close to He-Who-Eats-Knights-at-Breakfeast, or can't.

Oh, and I think Vulcanus and Arachné should collaborate on a Ballista project.
Have Vulcanus create and invest a giant crossbow. Something that is commanded by voice, flies, loads and fire itself at his command. Mundane bolts aren't resisted, can go pretty far and do a lot of damage.
Still, some magics can protect against them, and there are limits to what they can do... And this is where Arachné comes in. So long as they're wooden, she can craft "special" bolts that have some powers, such as dispelling wards or parma, breaking stone, creating a pit, whatever.

From the whatsapp I just got from him, Presteris ex Flambeau just did wet himself looking at that idea.

:laughing: :laughing:

bwahahahahaha!!!!
Yes, indeed

Aging rolls for 1231-1234: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4249744/ 3, 3, 5. Vulcanus looks his age.