Waiting for the ghosts (autumn 1235)

Thanks, dear
Arachné closes her hands around the bowl, quietly sipping her wine.

Int 2 + AL 2 + ML 2 = 5 + 1d10=1 + 1d10=7 = 5+14 = 19
Didn't thought this'd pass.
Whatever the answer, Arachné keeps this to herself, at least for now. Speaking some names may attract undue attention.

When the events begin to stir a little too much, she'll cast Sight of the Active Magics, just in case: 1d10=8 + Sta 01 + In 09 + Vi 14 + Aura = 32 + Aura vs lvl 40. She should lose one fatigue, but she has imperturbable casting for this spell.

The ritual appears to be for Pluto. The two 'victim' ghosts appear to have a solid, even, controlled silver aura around each of them to Arachne.

What the hell is this??? Although this could be a ressource. If there's a way I can access the underworld for ghosts... The opportunities are boundless. Teachers, guards, soldiers and scouts...

Uh-oh. It seems that whatever is at work here, it was made more real by young roberto's doing. Interesting.
Sadly, my memory is no longer what it was, and I can't recall clearly whatever happened last year. Just that they saw Roberto's action, and were properly horrified by it.

"Yes," Lucas replies. "I had to leave early last year, so I never saw what happened."

The black cloaked spirit, visible to all, intones "Yes, they did speak to me last year. Where now is my pledge? Has he fled from his oath?"

Your pledge is... detained for a while. What does his oath entail? Who are you, and who are these others?

"These are my initiates. The pledge will graduate to become an initiate. I am Pontifex." Pontifex is Latin for priest, but is as much a title as simply a noun.

"What is involved in him becoming your initiate? Would he become like your other initiates?" Lucas asks.

"That, I'm afraid, is only for initiates to know. I do hope he will be along soon, after midnight it will be too late. If anyone else would be interested in becoming the next pledge, please, say so."

Arachne sighs, her voice weary.

Yeah yeah yeah. Spooky man of mystery. Reminds me of Melantha. Always bothering me with her ancient secrets and all.
She smiles, and voice a little louder, and playful
Now, this ain't the way it goes. You need something from us, or you wouldn't bother. And they... (she points to the couple, and her smile fades, as her voice becomes harsher) They don't seem that much happy to see you.

So unless you tell us some more, I won't let an innocent man, all brashly dumb that he may be, enter a possibly dangerous compact with you.

This ain't how she'd play things out. She's not prepared, and she knows almost nothing about the spirit. This isn't her at all. But she's suffered too many losses, she likes Roberto, and... She feels responsible for this mess. And maybe she's just tired and old.

The spirit becomes somehow darker and more ominous "A contract was already entered into, signed with blood. It may not be reneged upon. Bring forth the pledge!" A sword of blue flame manifests in the spirit's hands.

((Gah! I'd forgotten Antoine knows Ring of Warding against Spirits, which would have been a totally sensible thing to put up right now. May I assume that Antoine didn't forget? If not, does it look like he could walk a Ring now, or is the big spirit too close? What's the Aura in Fleur's sanctum?))

The aura in Fleur's sanctum is 3, and yes, I think that is something he could have reasonably realized he should have done during the hours of watching the lesser spirits run around doing their routines.

Thank you very much. In which case, the group is surrounded by a Level 15 ring of Warding against Spirits (that being the version he knows formulaically).

"And what happens if the pledge doesn't show up?" Lucas asks.

"Then none will leave until another takes his place."

Arachné's grip tighten over her staff.

So now, you show your true colors, don't you?
The pledge won't show, not unless I'm confident he'll be safe, in body and mind. And truth be told, either your attitude nor theirs (she points to the other spirits) incline me to trust you.

So it seems we're at a stalemate. Now, there's a question you should consider: Do you really want to test the might of [strike]3[/strike] 4 mages from the Order of Hermes?

(Well done, with the ring! :smiley:)

Lucas stands ready, silently casting Doublet of Impenetrable Silk, just in case trouble ensues.[sup]1[/sup]

[hr][/hr]
Um, that's at least four magi.

[sup]1[/sup] 1d10=3 + 12 (Mu) + 10 (An) + 2 (Sta) = 27; success.

Oups! I had forgotten Fleur! Editing my post above thanks! :smiley:

"Test the might? I will not be so unwise. But your wits? I will take the blood left for me in the bedchambers, and I will seal this building that none may leave. How long will your precious mortal bodies hold out, separated from the outside world? Will you let yourselves fall to deprivation or will you offer me a pledge?"