Wanted - Apprentices

Successful Matches
Parens - Vocis of Tremere
Filia - Micaela
Born 1216
Arts opened 1226 (by Francisco of Tremere)
Gauntlet 1241

Parens - Lucas of Mercere
Filia - Elena ex Mercere
Born 1230
Arts opened Winter 1241

Magi Seeking Apprentices

Solomon
Ready for apprentice sometime around 1240
Has very high InVi total, so can open the arts of someone with a Major and Minor supernatural virtue, or multiple minor supernatural virtues

Carmen

Fleur
Planning to Bonisnatch an apprentice

Potential Apprentices

Clotide

Gabriel

Lucien
Looks like planning to be apprenticed to Carmen
[b][u]

Apprentice Specific Rules[/u][/b]

Characteristics, Virtues, Flaws, Size, and Advancement

• Characteristic and Size values should be altered downward to suit character age (ref: Appr p 8 ), all negative values stack.
  • Inherited Virtues and Flaws are inactive, and are those which the player intends the character to obtain through the course of play, becoming realized over time.
  • V&Fs still need to balance at creation as normal. Where appropriate one V&F may be replaced by another as the character ages.
  • Virtues and Flaws which influence the quality of training (such as Weak Parens, Skilled Parens, potentially Tormenting Master?) cannot be taken by a potential apprentice (ref Appr p 10 ) as the stats for study totals and library scores are known. NPC apprentice characters or characters with NPC Masters can take these flaws if the Masters skills are sufficiently poor/high.
  • An apprentice gains their "free" House Virtue after 10 seasons of one-on-one interaction with their parens (do not need to be consecutive). [Note: this does NOT apply to Mystery Cult Houses or House Ex Miscellanea as they each have their own process]. This "free" House Virtue MUST be one that the parens has, and that is typical for their House.
  • XP to Age 5 = 45 xp + Native Language 5 (0) + (Native Area Lore) 2 (0) (per House Rules)
  • XP for age 5+ (later life) = 20 per year, or 25 p/y for Wealthy, or 15 p/y for Poor (per House Rules)

Lore & Story

• Apprenticeship is generally 15 years, however each House tends to deal with the Gauntlet differently.
  • A Magus refusing to train an apprentice for one season a year can be charged with a low crime.
  • spells for Detecting the Gift is covered in Appr p 33
  • Opening the Arts legally binds the apprentice to the Magus (see p 35)

Bonus to Lab

• An unskilled apprentice still adds value to a lab, as:
  • Lab Safety bonus = (Int/2) which may be negative!
  • Aesthetics +1
  • Mentem +1

One thing I wanted to throw out there is that Solomon is looking to create a ritual and/or magic item to find the Gifted (ie. his own version of Cerebro). I figure InVi is kind of his thing, so why not. I'll be using the base given in Apprentices (I think it's a base 10) and making it Boundary so you can find all Gifted in a city. Obviously it will be cast/created with no penetration so as not to violate the Code.

So, any apprentices people make could have been found in that way. Just a thought.

Don't forget that Vulcanus' apprentice will be for sale when Fleur is done with him, assuming she doesn't manage some return agreement with Vulcanus, which could give someone looking for a long term apprentice a pre-trained one. Perhaps Antonius...

I'm not going to assume that Fleur gets Vulcanus' apprentice. He could always hide him from Fleur.

The thing I wonder is depending on how long he has had the apprentice and how spiteful he is- would he gauntlet the apprentice to prevent them from being bonisnatched?

If the apprentice has already been taught some of the mysteries, I could see him trying that. But I think that the Code requires an apprentice be an apprentice for at least 15 years. That's why the Bjornaer officially gauntlet their apprentices after 15 years, even though they consider them full magi once they've gone through the Ritual of Twelve Years.

So, I don't think he could actually do that.

Thebes gauntlet their magi at 14 years, so there appears to be some wiggle room...

[size=150]Summary of Youth & Apprentice rules[/size]
Thought it might be handy to have summary notes on the rules for Apprentice characters, and where the character gen rules from the saga may intersect them - for discussion.
Intent is to periodically update this summary as we resolve questions, then when they're solid they might go up into the wiki.

Characteristics, Virtues, Flaws, Size, and Advancement

• Characteristic and Size values should be altered downward to suit character age (ref: Appr p 8 ), all negative values stack.
  • Inherited Virtues and Flaws are inactive, and are those which the player intends the character to obtain through the course of play, becoming realised over time.
  • V&Fs still need to balance at creation as normal. Where appropriate one V&F may be replaced by another as the character ages.
  • Virtues and Flaws which influence the quality of training (such as Weak Parens, Skilled Parens, potentially Tormenting Master?) cannot be taken by a potential apprentice (ref Appr p 10 ) as the stats for study totals and library scores are known. NPC apprentice characters or characters with NPC Masters can take these flaws if the Masters skills are sufficiently poor/high.
  • XP to Age 5 = 45 xp + Native Language 5 (0). See Appr p 8 for samples.
  • XP for age 5+ (later life) = 15 per year, or 20 p/y for Wealthy, or 10 p/y for Poor.

Lore & Story

• Apprenticeship is 15 years. 14 in Thebes?
  • A Magus refusing to train an apprentice for one season a year can be charged with a low crime.
  • spells for Detecting the Gift is covered in Appr p 33
  • Opening the Arts legally binds the apprentice to the Magus (see p 35)

Bonus to Lab

• An unskilled apprentice still adds value to a lab, as:
  • Lab Safety bonus = (Int/2) which may be negative!,
  • Aesthetics +1,
  • Mentem +1

Yes he can.
I do not think the Code contains anything about minimum training. Vulcanus is Flambeau, and they have an honored tradition of a Battlefield Gauntlet. Technically, Roberto became a magus in 1212 after only seven years. His parens was killed in battle, Roberto avenged him and was afterward declared a magus. However, that was just background fluff. He continued on eight years under his mentor and entered play as a normal gauntlet level magus in 1220 (back in Novus Mane, Fixer was there and can testify).
And House Tytalus. An apprentice could murder his master after only five years and the Tytali would accept him and advocate he is a full magus.
And what will you do if he keeps the kid locked up in his sanctum? You want him? Come get him. Mind the totally legal deathtraps though.

I could argue that since I had, as a bonisagus, claimed the apprentice as my own it was therefore mine and by holding him vulcanus was depriving me of my magical power, a marchable offense.

Except the Tribunal will likely only fine the guy and the size of the fine will likely depend on political considerations.

I would assume fine him and order him to turn over the apprentice. Though with Vulcanus' social graces and the reputation of the Wadenzee covenant they may well march him...

So, I think there are a myriad of issues with snatching Vulcanus' apprentice (however I still think it's an interesting story, even though Solomon doesn't).

1. How do we even know that Vulcanus has an apprentice. I think we have a vague belief that he has one, but no proof. It's hard to claim someone that you don't even know exists, and can't name.

2. If Fleur can claim Vulcanus' apprentice (see point #1) and Vulcanus refuses to give him up, who is Fleur going to appeal to? Andorra is not part of any tribunal (a fact that only Solomon seems to be concerned about) and thus has no "higher power" to appeal to. She could appeal to whatever tribunal Wadanzee falls in, but they may be inclined to make the process long and arduous in an attempt to protect one of their own.

3. I guess I need to do some more research, but apparently gauntleting his apprentice is in fact a tactic he could use.

4. If Vulcanus has taught his apprentice any mysteries, he could make an argument that snatching his apprentice would give Fleur access to mysteries she is not authorized to have, and thus violates the Code (I have to think through this some more, but I would think this would be an issue all of the Mystery Cult houses would have a concern with).

5. Vulcanus can always declare a Wizard's War on Fleur and her sanctum is not exactly secure, being at one of the Sa Dragonera locations and an easy target without any collateral damage concerns.

Okay, I've updated the initial post with some more info, to include adding a "Successful Matches" section with Vocis & Micaela and Lucas and Elena. I held off on Carmen and Lucien because I wasn't 100% sure if Ironboundtome was still going that route or not. I also copied the Apprentice Rules Summary that Ironboundtome posted (thanks!), added the bit that (I think) everyone has agreed to regarding the "free" House Virtue, and modified the initial skills part to reflect our house rules.

When doing that, I was reminded that our house rules have us gaining more XP and spell levels during apprenticeship than the standard rules (240/120 standard, 300/150 house rules) so we may need to monitor things to make sure our apprentices are at a minimum on-track to hit the numbers we have for the House Rules. I think we should be fine, it's just something I just realized.

On the subject of Solomon's apprentice, I'm torn. Neither Clotide nor Gabriel really fit what I was thinking in terms of Solomon's apprentice. That's okay, since there is definitely a high-degree of luck in finding an apprentice, and with how rare the Gift is, you can't really be too picky. I think I'm leaning a bit more towards Gabriel primarily because I want Solomon to find his apprentice, vice his apprentice literally showing up on the doorstep. I could also have him take on two apprentices, but I haven't thought through the ramifications of that idea yet, although it could be interesting for him to try to train them to be a team (ie. train Gabriel to be a quaesitor and Clotide to be a hoplite).

Which leads me to my next thought; I'll be trying to work out the particulars of Solomon's Cerebro-like magic item over the next couple of days. Once I figure out what it's going to look like, I can figure out what lab total I need to pull it off, whether I might need to ask for some lab help, and when it'll be ready. It could serve as the means for multiple of the apprentices being found, not just Solomon's.

Finally, with all of these apprentices coming in around the same time, there will be some great opportunities for little "kid" adventures with the apprentice hijinks. So, it might be worth thinking up some grog children in the same age group that they might be able to get into trouble with.

I like that idea.

Donna is looking to pick up a second apprentice weaponsmith (she stills prefer to train girls, but won't insist on it this time around) if someone wants to make her new apprentice as a child grog. Are there any other areas we might be recruiting youth? (we already have one scholar character from the great talent drive)

I don't think it has to be a matter of recruiting youth. We have a bunch of grogs at the covenant (even beyond what have been statted up, like cooks, maidservants, etc) that are probably married and likely have children. There should be plenty running around without any particular child recruiting campaigns.

What timescale and age are we talking here? Antoine's daughter Bella was born Autumn '37, so would be coming up on 5 by the end of 1242.

Great question, which is why I put the "Born" date for the apprentices. It looks like Elena was born in 1230. I don't think we have ages for anyone else quite yet.

Magda (academic grog, not apprentice) was born in 1229.

My thought was that most of these children are going to be some sort of apprentice craftspeople or developing into a position at the covenant, and it might be a good idea to have some idea which way they are expected to develop, especially if they are doing so during the 'skip time'

Also would Epona's child from the twisted cave adventure have any special attributes? I'm thinking I should make a companion with strong faerie blood...