Wanted - Apprentices

Okay, that makes more sense...your wording seemed to make it sound like we're out actively recruiting children (which we are for the scribes, but nothing else). It really boils down to what someone would like to play that fits into standard grog work. Basically, they're going to follow in their parents' footsteps unless they're exceptional (read companion or magus), so anything that fits standard grog work makes sense.

Or potentially make that your apprentice concept instead of Clotide...

I can do it!

We could always say that Lucas and Cecilia's daughter Maria is taking her Redcap training in Arans. That would be another 10 year-old girl.

I'm seeing Lucien as needing to be built partially with Marko's ideas in mind so wanted to slow my own rate of character creation. I think/hope it will still happen.

I'm pondering a magus now too though. Not sure if there will be any objections to that.

Or I could go with Edvard. Depends on whether you want a 10 year-old girl or a 12 year-old boy.

Elena might prefer a 12 year-old boy. :wink:

You guys need to slow down! I cannot possibly follow all of this, and I know Fixer is probably taxed to the limit too. I am going to need more deputy storyguides. Beyond storytelling. Prince of Boredom stepped up to bat creating this thread. I ask hoping he takes it further and manages as the "Apprentice Aquarim Keeper".
I will grant full authority in the matter and power to override me in decisions in this area.
And Jonathan Link, old broseph, I offer you the title of "Eel of Observation", or maybe "Referee of the Reef". Point out everything, keep the munchkins in line. I may often over rule or ask for pass on their behalf. But not always. The idea is that, if they can pass your scrutiny, they will certainly pass ol' easygoing Markoko.

I'd love to try and do up a 'those darn kids' story. Let me see what I can come up with.

Once I've got more feel for the stories I'm happy to run some too.

Sounds good, I'll take up the challenge 8)

On a separate note, I forgot another magi that could possibly take on an apprentice; Acutus. I know, you look at his arts and say "hell no", but the Bjornaer do things a bit differently. In a nustshell, When a Bjornaer magus finds a Gifted child, they bring him/her to their sanctum (or perhaps somewhere else) and train them for at least two years in Latin while observing the child to ensure their personality and temperament would fit in the magus' sept (think a smaller subset of the Bjornaer clans). If their temperament fits, they are brought into the sept and their arts are then opened. At that point they are common property of the sept (essentially the apprentice of the sept, vice a single magus) and called a catulus (cub).

They remain in this status until the Gathering of Twelve Years, which is when they are initiated into the Mystery of the Heartbeast, and their Heartbeast is awakened. How long they've been a catulus doesn't matter; they go whenever the next Gathering after their arts being opened is. After their Heartbeast is awakened, the House considers them full magi, but realizes that the Order won't recognize that because they likely haven't had 15 years of training yet. So the sept (and sometimes the House) will place the new Bjornaer magus with another magus (not necessarily part of the original sept) to complete their training. This new Parens will have a heartbeast compatible with that of the newly initiated Bjornaer.

So, the next Gathering of Twelve Years is 1239. If someone were interested, they could make character that whose arts were opened anytime before that, even just 1238. They would have gotten their standard 1 season of one-on-one instruction plus whatever else (book learning, exposure, etc) and then attended the Gathering. For them to get placed with Acutus, their heartbeast would need to be a sea creature of some sort. He would basically take over their training after the Gathering in 1239.

Awesome idea.

But you've got no choice: it must be a ritual, given the Boundary target :frowning:

I find, however, that making it so apprentices were found that way is a very great idea, showcasing the rewards due to a player's effort AND easily explaining how we manage to find so many apprentices.

Great post, put in on the wiki
andorra.wikidot.com/apprentices

I don't think we need to bother with this.

1. They're likely to be in that range anyway
  2. If they're lower than that? Not everyone is a good master, so that's fine anyway. In fact, it'd be good IMO, since it'd showcase how the PCs were such brilliant and/or spoiled children.

Yes! Good idea again.

IMO, unless you want her apprentice to be as exceptional as donna herself, this shouldn't be very difficult, and you can just assume she easily finds a suitable apprentice with appropriate stat at +2. She can later initiate her into her own virtues.

Totally :frowning:

I think it would be pretty easy to blow past the 300 mark if you give the kid access to good books instead of using him for child labour.

This is what I will/was going to do, but if we are looking for child characters it is an obvious possibility for someone making one.