Warping and Targets

As a long time AM3 player with rather less experience of AM5, I must admit to being slightly unclear about how the Warping rules interact with Targets. Specifically, do entities affected by a powerful mystical power (level 30+) that is targeted at the Circle, Room, Structure etc where they are located suffer the effects of Warping? For example, if a Magus casts a high level Circular Ward Against Demons, do other people in the Circle gain Warping? What happens if they step into the Circle after the spell has been cast? Further, what happens if they repeatedly step in and out?

In the Saga of which I am a member, we have assumed that such spells do cause Warping, with the curious result (particularly from a AM3 perspective) that no one wants to be protected by another Magus' wards! However, I have no idea of whether this interpretation is commonplace or whether I have misunderstood the intent of the rules.

Enlightenment, please?

Since the target is the circle, the people in it do not get warping.
They do however get warping for being in the affected area for longer time IMO. (which is 1/season +1/year for high power effects)

That's interesting. My uncertainty stems from the fact that Warping is the result of being "affected by a powerful mystical effect" (p167), and a Circle target "affects everything within a ring drawn by the magus at the time of casting" (p112). Therefore, we have assumed this causes Warping, despite the fact that the spells in question have Circle, rather than Individual, targets. Is this an unusual interpretation?

In a similar vein, if someone is affected by a high magnitude PeCo spell with a Room target, would this cause Warping?

It's an interesting question and the complication stems from the fact that wards are, frankly, weird and don't fit the normal frame-work. For your room example, yes, they are warped. In the case of the ward however ... the target really is the circle itself and not the contents. Were this not the case, then wards could only be one-directional and the effect would persist if you walked out of the circle. Since a ward stops both entry and exit from the circle, and doesn't protect you if you walk out of it ...

There are those who do play wards as being unidirectional. There are, near as I can tell, more houserules on wards than any other aspect of Ars Magica.

Iffy. We discussed it at some length in our group. In the end we decided that the more reasonable interpretation of the rules seemed to us:

If you are in the Circle, Room, Structure or Boundary and are affected by the magic then yes, you do suffer warping. Note that if the magic does not affect you - e.g. if your MR protects you, or if it's an Animal spell and you are a human, you do not get warping.

Now, with wards you are opening a whole can of worms. There is very little consensus on these. Our interpretation, which might be very well against canon, is that a Ward affects whatever it wards against, not whatever it protects; our argument being basically that to ward a man against wild beasts is Re An, not Re Co or Re Co (An) or even Re An (Co). So in this case (assuming the magic sufficiently powerful) the man would not be warped. The beast would be warped, though. On the other hand (according to our interpretation) a single instance of a magical effect warps only once, no matter how many times it affects you. E.g. you can duck into and out of a ward that affects you as many times as you want, and you'd be warped only once - unless the ward was renewed in the meantime, of course.

I can see the attraction in ruling that wards cause warping to the entities that are the subject of the ward, rather than to the object on which the ward lies. However, would this approach also extend to Ind target wards, e.g. a high magnitude Ward Against Heat and Flames? My assumption has always been that this would cause warping to the target, and this seems to create an inconsistency with exempting Circle-based wards from causing warping.

Inourgame, that's exactly the way it works. This may or may not be canonical - we gave up trying to find out:). Warding a human against flames it's Re Ig. It's not Re Co, or Re Co (Ig), or even Re Ig (Co). The magic affects the flames, not the human - it's only "located" where the human resides. It does not directly affect the human, just like a spell of invisibility does not cause warping to the person made invisible - it affects his speciem, not the person, even if it moves around with the person.