Warping Clarifications

I can heat water with an induction coil under a pot, or heat water by burning wood under a pot. Both cause the water to heat but only the induction coil causes a magnetic field. Doing the same thing in different ways can have varying side effects. Thus it is with warping.

I prefer to be more hesitant to apply warping for intellego spells, my rationale is that the information is the target rather than the mind which holds it, but really it's a feel thing. Reading a mind doesn't feel like it should warp a target.

Hi,

Although InMe seems to have the mind as its target.

How about a group pink dot spell that does nothing but put a pink dot on a bunch of people's heads... and gives them a Warping Point?

Anyway,

Ken

I'd suggest that the key guideline is the "Anyone subjected to a powerful mystical effect" text from AM5 pg. 168 and that the following "any Hermetic spell of sixth magnitude or higher counts" text be an suggestion rather than a hard and fast rule.

I don't much care how you design your "pink dot" spell but a pink dot isn't a "powerful mystical effect", even if cast using some sort of level 100 ritual. If you really want to warp people using pink dots then design them to be a cosmetic effect of the CrVi guideline for intentionally warping targets.

Warping, as I see it, is meant to prevent overuse of magic and to thereby preserve some semblance of mundane medieval Europe. Overuse of warping has the opposite effect if it leads to the frequent creation of horrible magical mutants.

Hi,

Which is fine as a house rule.

Same as deciding that Parma works according to GM fiat rather than RAW.

Or adopting any of the diverse alternate rulings available here.

Anyway,

Ken