What if scenario

A transformer toy is essentially a beginer level chinese puzzle box, possibly with some value as realia for herbem or terram since it is made of plastic. The microscope would probably give a lab equipment bonus given that it exceptional lenses for the period, possibly in Intelligo.

1 Like

In fact, Hermetic magic via Imaginem can easily "replicate" a microscope, and such an enchanted item would be a perfect example of lab improvement.

There are also plenty of examples of a purely mundane lab foucus which provides similar effects, though on more of an astronomical basis.

How about the knowledge of the electron microscope?

On the opposite end of the spectrum:how might people from our culture respond to REAL wizards from the ars magica demension?

Knowledge of it's existence or the knowledge to build one?

Though to be honest, I suspect either would be irrelevant:

The knowledge that it can exist will likely get you branded as a heretic and/or madman, insisting that such small things exist. This was (one of) the reactions when the microscope was introduced IIRC.

The knowledge to build it still depends on several layers of technical skills and engineering that simply were not available. For starters, you'd need a very stable source of electrical power, not something I'd trust anyone's ability to create with only medieval magnets available.
Technologies depend on each other. I'm trying to figure out how many fields of science and/or engineering that would essentially have to be invented from scratch, and it boggles the mind.

knowledge of an electron microscope in ars magica would be as useful as knowledge about Smurfs in modern day America. It simply is not real nor could it be real in that world.

1 Like

The electron microscope relies on physical laws that in the Ars Magica universe do not exist to overcome physical limitations that in the Ars Magica universe do not exist.

In principle, in Ars Magica you can "zoom" an image as much as you like - mundane tools may not be able to do this due to engineering limitations, but magic certainly can. Of course, it's pointless to zoom further once you see individual atoms, because those are shaped like absolutely perfect cubes, tetrahedrons etc. so there are no additional details to observe.

In the "real" world instead, the laws of physics make it impossible to zoom all the way to see individual atoms with ordinary light, so that's where the electron microscope comes in handy.

1 Like

That's a question that's been explored in many books and movies.
I think that people from our culture would respond to Hermetic wizards ... exactly like the Gift predicts people would respond, except that it would cause difficulties even when not interacting directly. People would envy, and terribly fear, a few "Gifted" individuals with the supernatural power to influence other minds, teleport, shapechange, destroy or create large quantities of matter, and live for centuries accumulating knowledge and power. Governments would try to control them and, failing, ruthlessly hunt them down... until those few Gifted individuals decde it's best to suppress knowledge of their own existence from the rest of the world, which would not be that hard to do.

I would suggest that real wizars from an ars magica universe depend on different physical laws than what our universe uses, and as such would most likely be dealt with as lunatics. One major issue is the question of how the Gift would translate of course- whether it allows magi to access some form of supernatural powers which do hypothetically exist in the real universe (obviously far more subtle than swords and sorcery magic) and very significantly whether the social penalties would apply.

There's nothing for a microscope to see, is there? I suppose the substructures of visible objects?

That's right, absolutely nothing to see. No secret markings put upon the atoms by the Creator so that angels can easily find which one to manipulate, absolutely not. Nor is it possible to determine the many genders of atom by examining them carefully.

2 Likes