What is a Knight's yearly income in Mythic Pounds??

As the title says, with the Mythic Pound value of an average Wealth Knight's income? I can't recall where it is in which book. In my mind I have 10 MP per year, with a wealth one is 3x that value?

Note: This is assuming they are not a Landed Noble. I've looked in Lords of Men and City & Guild, but can't seem to it.

Lords of men puts a guard at 1 mythic pound per year, and a group of mercenary knights at 15 pounds- and defines a group as being 5 men, which would put the income of a mercenary knight at about 3 pounds per season assuming no overhead. It also mentions that stewards who are maintained as knights cost 20 pounds a year, which it also lists as the income for a landed knight. It also describes a knight as being 3 inhabitant points (using the system from covenants) which translates to 3=6 pounds upkeep depending on season. Also on page 70 it describes hiring a mercenary knight as costing 2 rather than 3 pounds (apparently the group of knights have a manager who pockets 5 MP)
So there really isn't a single answer.

3 Likes

Thank you, that's about as helpful as can be.

In general, historically the horses are the single largest part of the expense for knights or any mounted man-at-arms.

In AM, they cost 1 MP per year per horse, plus the cost of the stables. Much of the fluctuation in the cost of knights and mercenary knights could come down to if the cost of the horse is included or not in the numbers given. Mercenary knights most likely average about 2MP a year, with an additional 1MP for their horse. The single entry not including the cost of the horse while the group entry does would make them even in cost.

As for landed knights somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of their total income goes to maintaining their horses. Since the landed knight, any knights under him, and his men-at-arms are all in general mounted troops you are looking at a large group of horses. While some of the cost will be offset by laborers, at best you are looking at 50% off (max laborers) on 10 horses (the knight, his squire, and 8 men with no spares) which would require a quarter of their income.

That does bring up a side thought that Craftsmen should not be able to reduce the provisions cost of livestock.

So how much a knight or mercenary knight would cost per year would have to take into account if you or they are paying for their horse.

3 Likes

I would agree that craftsmen should not be able to reduce th cost of provisions for livestock, but at the same time I think the laborer's contribution should be raised to 100% for livestock, since livestock don't require things like baked bread and brewed ale.

Possible exception would be carnivores having huntsmen or herders as craftsmen contributing to their provisions. I suppose if you have a gardener as a craftsperson that would also apply to herbivores.

1 Like

That £3-£6 range sounds reasonable, also for household knights with a mundane lord. I am sure there is that much variation between wealthy and less wealthy lords, and I imagine their standard of living is not radically different from covenfolk's.

Add to that the horse maintenance as has been discussed, if you want to handle that as part of a personal economy, rather than the landlord's economy.

1 Like

One of the things that Ars Magica simulates really well is how much of a mess the medieval economy was...

4 Likes

Indeed. That's why I like it. Once the economy (or whatever other aspect of the game) is streamlined, the players abuse it to play a tactical, rather than a narrative game.

Not that I don't like tactical games, but they work better as board games.

1 Like

Seconded.

Also, I very much feel like I should answer this question with "£6 - and about £6 in expenses for an ordinary knight". Points for recognizing the source.

You are obviously quoting the Pendragon rules. Pendragon is excellent if you want one adventure a year, then aging, and seeing characters mature then age then pass on the mantle to their kids. Pendragon gets a different mix of history/reality/magic to Ars, as you play knights, and whether you engage with monsters, the holy grail or fairies depends a lot on the adventures the SG wants to run. I get the feeling Greg Stafford loved the grail myth and fairy stories, but there's plenty of people out there who want to play medieval battles and jousts, and earning enough money from your estate to afford the expensive business of war and castle building.

1 Like

Obviously.