Where do covenants get their food from?

There is a ReHe spell that makes a tree blossom and give fruit in about a day.

Could a version of that be used to make a group of plants do the same?

That would make the "how to feed a covenant" problem no problem at all.

Do that with 2-3 kinds of cereal during a month in a Room (or structure) sized space. Thetre you go: mass production of rye, wheat, corn and whatever you are planting there. You kill trhe plant after its flowering / fruit, so no biggie in it not providing food in the future.

NOw,l that can break the economy of a region easily, if abused, but it seems a good wayu of passing over the land restrictions for me. A peripheral code on food production is likely to exist as there are provisions on silver generation in some peripheral codes. Easy

Now, warping of the people being fed on this production might become problematic if the SG so desires....

Xavi

Also, a big part of agriculture is sustainability. Iirc, a ReHe spell like that produces seedless fruit, so no seeds for the next planting. Awkward.

Is it seedless? Damn. :laughing: Problems for not having the books with me :laughing: :unamused:

Still, a 2 room system can work:

1. one room with a controlled environment to make the food grow as normal, but extra-healthy. This seeds would then all be yused in the next plantation
  2. A second room with the fast growing cereals using 8/10 or 9/10 of the total seeds that you grew in the first room. No need for seeds if tyou are going to eat it. It is still nutritious.

Requires WAAAAY less space than the usual extensive farming. Kind of a greenhouse approach to farming.

Cheers,

Xavi

If this is Geis and Geis, it was used, but it is credited as "Life in Medieval Times". Bascially this is three Geis and Geis books published in a single volume. Yes, for medieval entry level history, it's excellent.

As the book is on the other side of the Atlantic I can't be 100% certain but Geis and Geis sounds right. It was a husband and wife team, I have two of the apparently 3 books.

I don't know what level the books are, as History isn't my field but I found them very well written and they go a long way towards "enlightening" people on the way life was. Entry level sounds right thinking on it. My interest lies more in Military History. I read them for background to help my gamemastering. I even took a course in university on Human Geography to help me design my worlds better.

I can only add my recomendation to read them (or this compilation book Timothy Ferguson mentioned), along with: "A World Lit Only By Fire" and "A Distant Mirror." Both of which are more general introduction to things Midieval.

Anyway back to feeding covenents.

My character's opinion would be to use magik in a subtle way rather than an overt way. There are a lot of things you can do with magik to: make food spoil less, make yields higher, make harvesting efficient, and even to transport food. But this is a matter of taste.

Speaking as a gamemaster I would say that you loose story opportunities if the food is from the local Mage-O-Mart. But again this is a matter of taste. Hmm...pardon the unintended pun.