Why no love for the Tremere?

Agreed.

I liked the game better when magic was based on Aristitilian understanding of the universe and Magi were enlightened folk having read Greek philosophy.

I think the core material should look at WWI and WWII and the cultural reactions those wars had to understand Magi reactions to the Scism War.

My attacks against the Church are a defence to my understanding of Magi as a whole. The Church threatens Philosophy and free thinkers, just as much as any organized religion.

In 5th Ed most mysteries are based on some sort of pagan Myth or Legend. Mix that with a scientific, yes, scientific, approach to Magic and the world. Mix that with being educated in greek philosophae and what do you get? Anti-paganism? what?

So explain to any character with a Philosophae over 2 or Artes Liberales over 2 or part of a Mystery Cult why they should not fear the Church or Tremere? You say they all sacraficed babies and were infernal... but where is the proof? There is none. Many Magi will feel the pain that Tremere's war was a meaningless sham and they were dupped.

Who's Next? Heretics are being burned in 1205 for beliefs so heretic as "god is everything". So explain again why does anyone at all trust house Tremere when every magi is potentially one accusation away of being a heretic?

Side note, Jerbiton with the Church... lol throw that material way. They're the secular humanists in my book.

same.

Well, as written its because the Tremere are avowed non-believers. Although some are Christians, they tend to think of gods as parasites, and this includes the actual Dominion-inspiring one.

Just because they were anti-Diedne doesn't mean they were pro-Christian in like a Flambeau sort of way.

1 Like

Hmm... well if my PbP ever trusts one long enough to have a conversation, she'll find they hold that in common.

The problem is trusting one long enough for the conversation.
The scism war had to leave a big scar.

Oh, yes, that's fair, because, after all the religious stuff, he wouldn't be talking to you if he didn't want something.

That PbP particular character is trying to join a covenant where a Tremere is one of the most important main members. It is you that needs his support and cooperation. :wink:

Strange how these debates constantly lead back to a game I am running or playing in :laughing:

1 Like

Well thats 'cause your game eclipses all other games.

... Charm roll ...

LOL

:smiley:
Charm roll successful :wink:

Despite all of my rhetoric, I do allow for a wide range of styles and options (even Diedne), so the game does touch on a great deal many different subjects.

I did, though. I used the Australian war experience as my foundation for the attitude to war of the Tremere. The Australian experience of the First World War was that we suffered greater casualties, as a percentage of our population, than any other combatant state. Every little town has a hall for returned soldiers. Every town has a cenotaph for those that didn't come home. I know that other people will want, from previous discussions to go "Oh, we commemorate that too..", but no, probably not like us.

Gathering around these stones, at dawn, in the dark, and promising not to forget what happened is the defining ritual of Australian citizenship. Australia Day and Federation Day are just holidays: the sacred day for Australians is ANZAC Day. The pilgrimage for young Australians is to ANZAC Cove. This is something we, without any prompting from our government, have chosen as the thing which represents the core of us. Our big day as a country is the day we remember.

It is not like the 4th of July. It is utterly different from the way American celebrate their war history. Americans win: their national story is, IMO, about victory.

The ANZAC Cove landings were disastrous and futile. We choose to commemeorate this day, rather than say, the victory on the Kokoda Track, precisely because it tore a hole through the middle of our country that did not heal generations. We are one of the few countries that chooses not to celebrate its victories. We are one of the few that chooses to celebrate in tandem with neighbouring countries (NZ). We are one of the few that choosing to let veterans of the opposing army march in our commemorative parades.

I tried to get across this feeling in the Tremere work, much as I try to get across other bits of Australianess in my other work, because it makes my work a bit different from material you may have seen before.

I think some of the ambivalence turns up in the end work. Should we have landed in Turkey or stayed home? Was it right to go so far away and fight? Were they really killing the Armenians? If we'd let more of our people die, would we have been able to stop that? What if they really hadn't been killing Armenians? What if our invasion had made them kill Armenians? The Armenians for us are the equivalent of Deidne infernalism. Are they doing it? Why won't they let observers check? If they did do it, did we stop it, or did our attack make them go off the deep end and start it?

1 Like

Woo hoo!

If we have accomplished anything of merit in this thread, we have gotten Timothy to post! At length! (Hi Timothy! Always good to hear from you. :slight_smile: )

But this post isn't about Timothy. It's about....

1. Equality. The Declaration of Independence (and even if you're not American, there's only one :slight_smile:/2) is a seminal document whose simple and stately statement about universal equality is fundamental to modern thought.

But if you want to play in Mythic Europe.... if you really want to play in the medieval Europe of myth and legend, it is patently obvious that all men are NOT created equal. Not. And it is even more obvious that women are not equal to men. Not the same. Different. Anyone who is anyone knows this, from the Greek philosophers to the Roman senators to the Church fathers to the Saracen infidels (what? aren't they also Divine? I'll get there....)

Government and society based on equality is therefore wrong, stupid and fundamentally unworkable, except in the rare cases where and to the limited extent to which people are equal.

Correspondingly, all perspectives and opinions and beliefs are NOT equally valid.

1. Fascism. "Fascism" is a word, and like most words it has meaning. Wikipedia has a great article about the definition of fascism (and another about fascism itself.)

None of the suggested definitions other than Orwell's make any sense in a medieval context. Even Orwell's does not, because medieval people had buzzwords of their own for "bad" and "mean" and "nasty."

Now, fascism did have precursers. Fascists tend to mythologize a great past tradition and hold strength as a virtue, but they are not the only ones. Not by a long shot.

To describe anything medieval as 'fascist' is missing the point about what fascism is and is not.

Unfortunately... the Order of Hermes is not really medieval, despite the fine and exhaustive efforts of diverse people to make it so for this edition of the game. Its magic is not medieval, its politics not medieval... it's Jonathan and Mark tossing magic into medieval followed by a bunch of dedicated people working to make things fit. A lot of splendid work has been done. But I think a modern reader who reads about Tremere can be forgiven for drifting to the modern rather than the Greek, or who sees Guernicus in modern rather than medieval terms, the two houses combining to stomp out any dissident thought. And once you've brought Mercere into the picture, the lineaments of fascism do appear, with the military, judicial and mercantile branches of society all 'true lineages,' all effectively part of the government. Fascism. Complete with mind probes.

What of the counter-argument that medieval society can be viewed through a similar lens, in which the church and nobility support each other to crush dissident and heretical thought, with even the guilds increasingly in on things?

That's also a more modern perspective, plucking out the grand theme of church versus nobility from the grand sweep of medieval history. For a medieval feel, I think it is more productive to look at the trees and forgo the forest, emphasizing familial and tribal ties, and even personal goals. (I think that has advantages from a game perspective too, another topic.) There is no grand conflict between nobility and church vying for ultimate authority; there is just me and my younger brother, the bishop, versus the abbot and his knights over yonder, with all the connections we bring.

From a pre-modern perspective, blood ties are everything. We still have a lot of that going on: Tribal wars, tribal law, tribal customs. The OoH perspective on family, that the Order is now your real family to the extent that extensive involvement with your kin is "interference with mundanes" to my mind sits more easily in a modern totalitarianism than among medieval folk.

Am I calling the Tremere fascists? No. But I am calling the Order, as written, every bit as anachronistic as any other 20th century artifact found in the 13th century. Were my choice of characterization restricted to "fascist or feudal," I'd go with fascist.

1. Monotheism. It's out of style these days. Divinity is either a superstition or it is found in everything, especially the Earth. If you don't believe one of these things, you're a fundamentalist

Tolerance is in. Except of fundamentalists.

Diedne are especially sympathetic from this modern perspective. They're sort of like Druids! And the Druids are all about nature! (The PHB says so; what other reference do you need?) The Druids practiced human sacrifice, but so what? Human sacrifice is common among ancient societies and it is a deeply spiritual practice. Joseph Campbell even said so. Besides, maybe it's just bad PR from the Romans who were much nastier.

And look at their enemies: Evil Christian (but I repeat myself) religious fanatics looking for heretics to burn at the stake to fuel their Inquisition and create a society founded upon superstition and ignorance, a stifling and oppressive patriarchy. The fascist Tremere are more of the same. And the Quaesitors are corrupt; the True Lineage book even says so.

Except....

In the medieval world, monotheism is In. There is a Prime Mover. Only a fool says in his heart that there is no god. The wise know that there is One, and being close to the One God is so important that it is worth fighting and dying for to get it right.

Diversity is not a good thing, when it's about evil adulterating the good. Tolerance is not a good thing when you are protecting evil.

From this perspective, wiping out the Diedne was a wonderful thing. Evil pagans--but I repeat myself. The Druids were so awful that even the Romans with their lions and crucifixions couldn't tolerate them.

But from this perspective, I also have a hard time with a largely pagan Order. In the 13th century, the more educated you are the more you know that the pagan gods are false, that only the ignorant and foolish believe things like that. Hedge wizards are pagan, not magi.

Anyway,

Ken

1 Like

So who's next to fall under the chopping block?

Merinita or Creimon?

Seriously which house is next to have war brought to it for being pagan?

When will the Church war against the Order? Why are their even mystery cults, it's all the devil.

and Ovarwa "Divinity is either a superstition or it is found in everything, especially the Earth" Herecy, proceed to the closest gate to be burned.

If i wanted to pretend to be a worshiper of the god-man iesus i'd just go play live action at a church.

There is a "Something" that exists that Says its a God. There is "Something" else it created that is more evil than any other evil unleashed upon man. But the "Something" that says it's a god won't help you find it's evil creation unless you worship him. "Love me and I'll 'show you' the evil" sounds like a scam to me especially since noone can detect this 'evil'.

This is far far far far worse then freeing someone from their body so they can walk the spirit world... or whatever the Druids believed they were doing.

So why aren't Tremere up on the Divine and it's followers?

It wasn't the Paganism. Heck, some Mercurians worship Mercury! According to lore, it was all about and only about human sacrifice causing suspiscion of diabolism.

If you play 3rd edition, it starts soon :smiling_imp:
In 5th, probably never

Because as Ken pointed out, The Order of Hermes is an achronism. Why mystery cults and paganism? ecause Ars Magica is a product being marketed to modern people, and it needs to appeal to their interests :wink:

Not heresy. God created all things, Gid is everywhere. God is not everything, he is just omnipresent.

Kallista, please try to be sensative to diversity. My one old buddy is a pastor who runs games in his church basement. I am a Christian. I have friends who are Pagan and Jewish and Buddist and etceteras. Many people tend to play their character close to their own beliefs (not always, playing the opposite is also common). I want to pretend I am a magus. I want my magus character to share some of my morals and values. One of those happens to be my faith. Another is tolorance for diversity and a third is treating women as equals. Where else can I combine all three in the middle ages except for the Order of Hermes?
:smiley:

1 Like

The Order of Hermes is not just an anachronism: it is fiction.

That too :wink:

Probably none of them. The Order has changed in several hundred years, None of the other houses has a House religion (Possibly Bjornear) , none of them are a rival power block within the order. None of them practice human sacrifice (At least not notabicably). The Diedne may or may not have been diabolists it does appear that they practiced human sacrifice or at least most none Diedne beleived they did.
The diedne where a large and powerful power group at a time the order was falling apart and they refused to allow proper investigation of potential crimes, remember House Tytalus had just been purged when it was discovered to be diabolists.
So unless your saga wants a civil war within the order there is no reason for one to occure there are no fault lines which require a war. If you want one and it could be interesting you can easily create such fault lines along religous, House and political lines.

It is absolutely clear in Canon that it is possible to worship faerie or magical beings without turning to the infernal. You will be turning your back on the divine by most beliefs. However it is perfeactly possible to rationalise that by worhsipping of parts of the divine creation you are still not turning your back on the divine if your character cares about this. The last Pagan character I played who thought about this recognised the christian faith as powerful faith which had much of the truth about it and was very suitable for the weak (i.e almost everyone else) but it did not have a monopoly on truth they beleived that they where following a path towards the truth which was better for them.
Other pagan characters I have played just did not care they beleived that when they died they would go to Valhalla (or other places depnding on their exact belief)

You are letting your personal beliefs dominate the argument here. I am an Atheist I find all of this religion silly. However I don't let that intefere with palying in a game world where religion is important. I have played pagans, and devout christians it is just a game.

An acceptable belief in the real world , has no relevance to Ars Magica. I would disagree in that a belief system which does not involve killing people is less of a problem than one which does as IMO they are both wrong.

Back to the original question
I like Tremere and I think they are quite playable I have played a Tremere in 5th and found no problem with the hosue making demands as I also got stuff from the house. PC's often want to ask their parens for support (quite reasonably) and the Tremere mearly make it clear that you can get support and should ask when you need it and in return they will ask you to do thing shwich will help the house and order. This provides story oppertunities or if the SG does not want to base plots around this he can have the duties invovle labwork or off camera activities which do not take up game time.

In 5th I find Tremere and Criamon the most improved houese as I would not have played either before 5th ed and now would consider both. I also find Diedne descended characters quite interesting for different reasons and have played them as well .

So why aren't Tremere up on the Divine and it's followers?
[/quote]

1 Like

Hi,

May I recommend the Pentecostalists? I have it on good authority that their GMs throw games that rock.

But you remind me of something that I think about sometimes, the way we paint with broad brushstrokes.

When I pick up a non-scholarly history of the middle ages, I learn that Europe was a religious society. But that doesn't make everyone in it pious! Most people aren't. Most people believe, sure, but then they get on with their lives, with making money, with having sex, with getting drunk with friends. Some people are cynical about their society's ideals, even though they, when push comes to shove are part of that society and culture. Of course, when Christianity contacts character design, it's as though we're playing in the 30th century and all ancient American characters are Marines.

Anyway,

Ken

I'd like to make a couple of points.

First, on real history, we don't need to go back to the ancient world to find pagans. Japan is and always has been a culturally pagan nation, and its state religion was a nature-based goddess-centered pagan religion from the late 19th century until 1945.

Of course, in that period it was busy invading Asia, bombing Pearl Harbour, and so on. On the most generous possible reading, its human rights record was no better than that of Christian and Islamic nations around the same time.

Paganism in Japan, and in Japanese role-playing games, has associations with fascism (the real, 20th-century version) and imperialism for a lot of people.

The belief that pagans are somehow necessarily nicer than followers of monotheistic religions can only be maintained if you are ignorant of large chunks of history.

(The Japanese also ran an anti-Christian Inquisition for two hundred years, complete with torture, denunciations from neighbours, and burning at the stake. They were pagan and Buddhist all that time, although, granted, it was the Buddhists taking the lead in the Inquisition rather than the pagans.)

Second, on the game. The Tremere are supposed to be controversial. They are authoritarian and militaristic, and the evidence for the justification of the Schism War is not as clear-cut as would be ideal. They are, however, supposed to be playable, unlike the pantomime villains they tended to lapse into in earlier editions. They do have their virtues.

Judging from this thread, I'd say that their design was a resounding success.

1 Like

Hi,

Yeah, AM5 Tremere turned out nicely, I think. One of the things I noticed and enjoyed when I read True Lineages, is the way the House writeup felt so intensely personal. The contrast with the reputation for crushing individuality appealed to me (as did the rest of the writeup.)

Anyway,

Ken

1 Like

I don't see how using the term "god-man" is offensive, been reading Kierkegaard...

The reason I think the Tremere are so dangerous is they instrumented a war based on an accusation of infernalism.

There is no way to detect the infernal. There is no way to "prove" it. So it could have been true or it could have been made up.

I can hold my suspension of disbelief and pretend that in Ars Magica that the Divine exists. However the normal arguments that Every Magi with some Philosophae should KNOW still apply to the Ars Magica Divine.

Unlike the real world, the case excusing evil in the world because of Free Will does not hold water. In Ars the Divine makes his presence known and the Infernal is real. The Divine made the Infernal with the ability to infinitely lie, how does one know the Infernal from Faerie or Magic? YOU DON"T. So why doesn't the Divine help out humanity and rid it of the Infernal?

Either the Divine doesn't want to or can't.
Reductio ad absurdum.

The problem of evil is compounded near infinitely because the evil in the world is not just man's evil... there is also The Evil that The Divine made and unleashed on man. This enters a NEW idea, in game, that the Divine created the devil to scare people into following him.

You must understand it is simple logic that I think MANY Magi would come to on their own accord.

Magi are the scholars of the time, the keepers of the books of knowledge, many are against the teachings of the church. I'm sure someone has read Epicurus

How do these people NOT denounce the Divine?

I so much liked this game when I thought it was based on Aristotelian paradigm and that magi were educated.

1 Like