Winter 1220, Chapter 0: Introduction

The next time you see her is that night, when they're all gathered on the green partying. There's music and dancing, hot mulled wine and sweet steamed apple buns, and the chilly evening air mitigated somewhat by the bonfire. You can catch Liliana in between songs if you wish.

You are such a foodie!
I will get back to you with Valten's prepared statements :smiley:

((Guilty as charged. Just wait until you get to dine in Faerie...))

When he has the opportunity, Valten approaches Lilianna.
[color=red]Salve Sodale. I apologize for starting off on the wrong foot earlier. I am here to help you. I was sent to be a member of this covenant by the magi of Durenmar, and I have agreed to lend my mind and might to your efforts. I was gravely offended when I was cast out without even eing offered a meal. I understand my brusque mannerisms may be off putting, but I was hungry and I get really cranky when I am hungry.

((Do I need to make a Guile roll for Valten?))

Liliana regards him impassively. "Your apology is accepted, though be aware I am not the only one who found your behaviour unbecoming. We do have all the magi we need now. Should you care to prove your usefulness, perhaps a contest of strength is in order?"

((If Valten is busy with a Certamen first thing in the morning, it gives us a plausible reason that he shows up late to the other thread. Assuming Valten agrees to a test of strength, pick your Technique. Dimicatio would be fine too, though I'd have to reread it when I get home to be sure I recall it correctly.))

[color=red]Hurm...
You don't seem to understand. I am here to help, and you need my help. If you don't want my help, then that is fine. This little errand is a distraction from my personal objectives. It is a chore that interferes with my goals. And you want me to perform labors to earn the right to do you a favor?
You need to make up your mind. Do you want my help or not? If so, then I will set up shop here and proceed. If not, then all I request is hospitality for the night, a meal and a place to sleep, and I shall be on my way in the morning.

As for other people finding my behavior unbecoming, I am really not concerned. Being "charming" was not part of my training, nor is it part of my agenda to be "becoming". It is better to be feared than to be loved.

"Then take this as a lesson in proper behaviour. You come into my home uninvited, insult the covenant I built with my family and my friends, storm off in a huff, attack our fae neighbours, and return to terrorise my covenfolk-- here we have five separate instances of improper behaviour. You insist that I need your help, yet of course you offer no explanation on how you might actually be of use. Rather than decline your ungracious offer outright, I offer you the chance to demonstrate your usefulness. This behaviour? Far and away beyond the expectations of civility; I am being considerably more than fair. Most would simply turn you away, never bothering to wonder why you boldly declare yourself an alumnus of Durenmar yet request hospitality half a mile away from your proclaimed 'alma mater.'

"You may challenge me at dawn should you wish to convince me of this "help" you claim to be able to provide. Come into my home and offer insult again, and you will pray for death before I grant you that mercy."

She gestures, and a small structure of ice appears nearby. "Sweet dreams," she says with a innocent-looking smile, leaving behind a crowd of gaping covenfolk who try very hard not to make eye contact with Valten. :wink: The golden-haired fae knight looks at you with an unreadable expression for a moment, then picks back up her lute and strikes up a song about the Great Hunt.

((Valten gains 1 exp in Etiquette.))

How am I only a half mile away from Durenmar if I am in England?
[color=red]I was in fact invited, indeed I was sent here as an instruction. I insulted no one, I did not attack any faeries, and I am not here terrorizing anyone. I did not storm off, you sent me away.
And now you make the mistake of insulting me.
Pray your death comes quietly in the night before we meet again. You shall hear from me again soon.

You sort of backed me into a corner here. I gave you the dramatic entrance you asked for, and in my opinion Valten has not acted improperly in any way. But yet you are sort of forcing my hand and driving me away. I don't know what you want me to do. At this point, Valten can become an enemy or a villian. The only way to salvage him as a player-character is to have some unexpected attack upon the covenant that Valten helps defend against. Otherwise I can play him out as an enemy (Lilianna can expect a message from him on the next full moon), or retire him as an NPC. You can use him or just say he went back to Germany.
So really, what is it you want me to do in order to facilitate the growth of your saga?

[i]((So, I can think of a few options. Valten could plan to leave, and then I could GM Handwave something terrible happening to one of the other characters and Valten could come to the rescue. The covenant could come under mundane attack that V can defend against (probably by killing them all) though this would have further-reaching saga implications for your character. Alternately if you think you'd have more fun playing him as an antagonist we could work out a confrontation between him and the other PCs. That might work better for your limited internet access but I think (I hope?) you'd have more fun as a player. Anyway, pick whichever option you like best and we'll run with that.

In retrospect I probably should have warned you that in this saga, faeries (and thus most Merinita) are much more like the traditional faerie tales (dark and vicious) than modern faerie concepts. Liliana is totally a sociopath, actually makes Valten look like a fluffy bunny in comparison :p))[/i]

I like the first option, as it allows all parties to save face.
See, for Valten, it would be a loss of face to have to jump through hoops in order to be allowed to help the covenant. But for Lilianna, it would also be a loss of face for her to back down. The "rescue"option seems like the best, and can also explain why he is not part of the next chapter thread (he was busy in battle &/or suffered some injury)