Winter Drake Hunt (Winter 1230)

Vulcanus my friend, do you truly believe that six magi, including four of House Flambeau, would be incapable of 'rescuing' Vibria from this creature should the need arise? No say nothing of our draconic comrades, or the fact that Vibria herself will hardly be a lost little lamb. Vocis smiles to show he means no offense. Have some faith and let's see where Carmen's suggestion leads us.

Vibria looks somewhat unconvinced – she hasn't seen el Gulio, but heard the horrifying description of it, and doubts that her immunity to fire will serve her in good stead against it. She is, however, somewhat reassured by Vulcanus's protective touch and Vocis's words.

"Carmen's suggestion is as preposterous as it is premature. Vibria, you can share my tent tonight, and no one--" he looks around at the others-- "will so much as lay a finger on you that they're not prepared to lose."

Vibria looks at Ryu with a surprised smile. [color=red]"Unless you pitch your tent next to the fire, I fear it would still be somewhat chilly for my tastes."

"It would be unchivalrous not to protect you from the cold of night," Vulcanus replies. He then adds gravely, "I'll pitch my tent wherever my lady prefers."

Vocis takes a deep breath and says Ah, wood smoke, cold wind, and low humor. It's like being on campaign again. He winks at Vibria before turning back to Carmen. We appear to have an overabundance of beautiful women on hand, so perhaps you could elaborate on your proposal? Are you suggesting that Vibria offer herself as the Brute's love interest? Is there a way to incorporate the 'corpse' aspect of the bride in such a way that won't cause Vulcanus to compose sonnets or break into ribald song? The look on Vocis's face can best be described as that of a parent whose child has just said something very funny and very inappropriate. Really trying to not to laugh.

Carmen smirks. I understand your reticence, my dear Vulcanus. But you got to get something out of your head. We are not mundane ladies in waiting. We are magi. Normal gender expectations and roles that mortal women have, it has no bearing on who we are. I have fought as a soldier in war, done battle with trolls and giants and have even slain dragons. No offense, it was a swamp Wyrm, not a noble drake. And that one on the island...
Your chilvalry is charming, but out of place. Not only are we magi, but we women of Hispanic blood are not the gentle and delicate little playthings you may be accustomed to. If Vibria wants you to protect her, let her ask for it herself. But on her own time. We must think and act as a single military unit, gender and femininity have no concern here.
Anyways, my plan is different than you may think. According to the drakes, and legend, Gulio cannot burn nor does he suffer any ill effect from fire or frost. My idea is to encourage the creature to rescue Vibria, thus flushing it out. Recued from what? Ogres, the normal kind. Combining her exceptional allure (hussy) and her immunity to fire, she can lure attackers and retreat to the safety of a bonfire. Make it look like she is camping alone. This will surly attract Gulio's attention, it will kill the ogres, and Vibria can use her beauty to manipulate the beast.
All I aim to do at this point is investigate. I want to see the creature with my own eyes. And if it is a faerie emulating the nursery rhyme character, then this event may help bring about closure or resolution to its story.
Wait a minute, Vocis. Isn't your apprentice a corpse girl already? Maybe she would be better suited for this.

Guillaume at this point is listening with interest to Carmen's idea and with amusement to some of the rest. The looks and smiles he and Astrid share hint at their silent comments to each other about what they're observing.

All traces of humor vanish from Vocis's face and he hesitates as if he can't fathom anyone actually saying that. Absolutely not. Mica is barely more than a child. And I would thank you to refrain from calling her a 'corpse girl' ever again.

(OOC - no worries on this one, Carmen just found one of Vocis's social triggers :slight_smile:)

"In point of fact," mutters Gardaitis very, very quietly, "the word 'waiting' doesn't seem to be in the vocabulary." He is, to all appearances, deeply absorbed in the wood in his hands, shaving thin slivers off it and flipping them into the fire. Very deeply absorbed. Head down and everything. It would not do for this, this.... herd of cats masquerading as magi ... to see the expression on his face.

"Out of curiosity, sodales, has anyone tried talking to this thing? If it speaks a recognizable language, I can probably understand it. Just putting the offer out there."

Vulcanus growls. "Of course not. We must first decide what virgin to sacrifice on the first full moon, if it turns out that is what he desires, and whose soul it will swallow, if that's what he wants. Because it might be a faerie!"

He's not very good at sarcasm, but it is clear that this very point bothers the German knight as well.

Okay, okay, scrap that idea. Oy vey! No one is being sacrificed Vulcanus. And I apologize Vocis, I ment no offense. Just that when I was a little girl, my father often took me along with him on hunting expeditions. And Gardiatius, as far as talking with the creature, you are the only one to have met it face to face so far. Why didn't you strike up conversation? Just pointing out that you are suggesting something that only you have had the opportunity for so far.
I am open to suggestions. My only other thought is simply to go into the abandoned cottage at Bone Hill and try singing the nursery rhyme. Maybe it will get it's attention. The drakes claim that it dwells there. It may be a lair, a haunt, a locus, or whatnot. But that may be a key to our investigation.

Gardaitis' teeth flash in the firelight as he gives Carmen a very brief grin. "True -- and I had other fish to fry just at that particular moment."

He considers for a few minutes, asking a few baseline questions about faeries, and then looks around, shrugging to himself. Not really his place to offer suggestions, but no one else seems to be doing so...

"All right. Tentative plan. Small contingent to enter the hut and attempt to attract the creature's attention. No more than, say, three people. Someone who knows a lot about fae; someone who is empowered to negotiate for Andorra; myself to translate if necessary." He looks up at Vulcanus and Vibria. "Perhaps Vibria as well, if she assents. The sacrifice option is NOT on the table, just to be clear, but if her beauty attracts it or makes it want to talk, that's an advantage. The rest of the magi, grogs, and allies to remain outside -- far enough not to threaten, close enough to come to our aid if the negotiations go pear-shaped... able to reach the hut within, say, a fifth of a Diameter."

He considers, absently tapping his knee with the knife's hilt. "Goals for the negotiation... One, to thank it for coming to my aid against the ogres, possibly with a small gift of vis. Two, to determine whether it is Faerie or Magical in nature. Three, to determine the source of its grudge against your drake allies, and whether it can be resolved."

"Opinions?"

Venkath and Maurice are listening intently. Simon seems to have wandered off (he is hunting an owlbear). At the end of Gardiatius' comments, Venkath bursts into rage.

The only resolution is to kill it! You humans, you are acting soft, tender and week. Nature favors the bold. Kill it! Kill it dead! If you are too cowardly, then just flush it out so I can do it! It is immune to fire, but last time we tangled I managed to get a good bite in. You flush it, you distract it, I can kill it. Didn't fight hard enough last time. I will not make that mistake again!

Maurice rolls his eyes, because he knows better. The Brute is strong enough to literally juggle all three drakes like a circus clown. He then sidles up next to Vibria. So, they say you are also immune to fire. Interesting. You know, you remind me of a woman I used to know when I was but a hatchling many many years ago.

Vulcanus regards Maurice coolly, then turns to Vibria. "Is this guy bothering you?" he asks.

He seems to have forgotten all about Carmen, at least for the moment. :slight_smile:

Vibria smiles. [color=red]"I have no objections to being used as bait. But, the weather being what it is, I would prefer to be as unexposed to the elements as possible. And, hopefully, that's all el Gulio wants to do is talk." She smiles wider at the last.

Vibria looks at Maurice with keen interest. [color=red]"How many years, if I may ask? And whereabouts was she?"

Maurice ignores Vulcanus' attempt to interrupt and amog his conversation. Other than a wry glance.
Long time ago. Decades. 50 years? I don't recall. She was an, ahem, female companion to grandfather in one of his human disguises. He broght her to the lair a few times and even dared to tell her his secret. That secret being that he was really a dragon. All I clearly remember is that she used to feed us as hatchlings, tossing us live chickens and an occasional goat. Strong woman, but with an eerie femenine beauty not unlike yours.

I already know I mispelled Feminine. I am a sloppy typist :smiley:

Vocis accepts the apology with a nod, but doesn't look happy about it.

I can try to scry on it once we're close, though I may need to rely on indirect means of detection if it's as powerful as it seems.

Any thought on how to determine its nature, short of attacking it? Perhaps try to sense active magic if we can catch it using its powers? That would eliminate the penetration issue.

Gardaitis looks thoughtfully at Venkath for several very, very long moments, obviously selecting an appropriate response. His final choice is mild and measured. "Not being blessed, as you, with fangs and claws and scales, we must perforce select our own methods of dealing with things. If our methods fail -- why, you've lost nothing but some time, and your 'kill it dead' plan may then become appropriate. But do let us try our methods first."

For a wonder, he manages to keep the disdain he feels at the drake's outburst, and the utter disgust at the idea of being a 'beater' for the drake's hunt, out of his voice. Mostly. (( Com 0, Guile 2, roll of 9=11.))