Eve ex Verditius

I'm not saying each rock does +5 damage. The bonus to aiming is based off the standard aiming rules. Each increase in size adds a +6 to the aiming roll. A group is generally one size larger. Look how do you think ten rocks targeted at one person should be resolved? Using the standard multi-cast rules?

I'm asking for chapter and verse here. Where did you see it, because the context of that matters.
First, you haven't increased the size of the rocks, so size doesn't apply there. Secondly the size of the recipient hasn't changed, so size doesn't apply there. T:Group is not an increase in size, either. Your spell is not adding a magnitude to increase the size of the rocks thrown, it is increasing the magnitude to throw 10 at once. I'm not sure where these standard aiming rules are coming from that you're referencing. You know them, but you can't point me to a good spot to look for them.

Your spell description was pretty vague. "These stones inflict +5 damage[...]," could mean each stone inflicts +5 damage. So now, you're saying this spell just inflicts +5 damage, in total. This is still a problematic spell, because you're basically building in 6 levels of precision mastery in exchange for a magnitude and using up ammunition. Let's presume it flies (I don't think it does, but I'll play devil's advocate here). You're going to use up a lot of rocks really fast to get to +5 damage. Who is carrying all of these rocks? Remember, this spell is cast at R:Touch. And it also explains why I designed a spell for Ophelia which uses metal ammunition rather than stone, kept the base damage the same but increased the magnitude for metal.

How do you think its should be resolved? You clearly don't like my solution so I assume you have a better one.

Wait a minute. What solution? I didn't ask you for a solution.
I asked where the +6 to finesse rule can be found. If you can find it and show it to me, or point me where to look for it I'm happy to do it.
I suggested that ammunition is going to be a problem for your character, too. That's your problem to solve. Spending 10 rocks per round for +5 damage is going to be tough on the character, even assuming a bonus to hitting applies.

So, what problem are we solving here?

How the targeting 10 rocks at a person should work. You don't seem to like my suggestion of providing a +6 to the aiming roll, so I assume you have a better way to resolve it. The +6 isn't something from RAW its a quick and easy way to modal the ease of scoring a hit if you shoot ten time instead of one.

First you present it as RAW, perhaps not explicitly so, but you certain alluded to it being RAW when you said that's how it works in my request on asking how you get a +6 bonus on this spell. This is a bit of a problem, you're presuming a lot, and not asking how stuff should work. Ask the SG, ask the troupe, but don't assume a +6 is OK, just because you think it is. It may be "quick and easy" but you should be able to see that it's vastly overpowered. To get a +6 bonus to hit to Invisible Sling of Vilano, you need to master it with precise casting 6 times, at a cost of 105 (55, effectively, with Flawless Magic) experience points, and no other mastery ability.

Finally, you're ignoring the much harder question, that even if we get over the hurdle that is the bonus to hit, that you have an ammunition problem, and I'm not sure it's solvable. Yes, you can have a shield grog carry 100 fist sized stones in his pack, but you have the problem of trying to hold/touch 10 fist sized stones, incant your spell and let them fly. In short, you have a huge logistical problem that is difficult to solve.

Ophelia will have about 10 stones, and she'll have about the same number of metal bolts, maybe up to twice as many bolts, I haven't exactly decided. There's a reason I went with metal, because trying to carry around a lot of stones, or bowling ball sized stones (for the increased damage) just becomes unwieldy and well, impossible.

Would you prefer standard multiple casting rules instead? 10 rolls and a penalty equal to the number of distinct targets?

If I may suggest: if it were a direct damage Group spell (that's +2 magnitude, by the way, not +1) then it would do its damage to everyone in the targeted Group. That part is obvious, plenty of canon example.

Change from direct damage to firing rocks aimed with magic (not aimed), as long as the damage only occurs once per target (small t), that's still basically the same effect, just different Arts. No problem. However, one Group worth of rocks is ... well, potentially, as many rocks as feet into 10 cubic feet. A lot. If you start suggesting that several rocks might hit the same target (except for purely cosmetic purposes), then you could be rolling hundreds, even thousands of attack rolls. That won't do. Making the spell aimed at this point is just a quibble.

So change the spell to be an area effect. Say you throw a double fistful of small rocks in a cone, or an area, or a line, and everyone in the zone of effect is hit for +5 damage. If you make the spell an aimed one, you may claim a Finesse bonus if you throw enough rocks. Group only gives a +1 size bonus, but the rocks spread and group is effectively a +2 bonus, so assuming you have enough rocks on hand (or under your feet, this spell is best cast in a rock beach or a gravel pit), I could see as much as a +12 bonus on your primary target (the center of the zone of effect) with regular (no bonus) rolls for secondary targets (anyone else caught in the zone). Conversely if you have less than, say, 3 rocks per separate target (unless it is one rock and one target) then you should really get aiming penalties...

Having enough rocks at hand is your problem. I will point out that the Range to a Group is the Range to the closest member of the Group, so nudging a pile of rocks with your big toe is good enough to affect the whole pile. However a Group must be well defined and separate from any other rock, so on the above-mentioned rocky beach you'd have to clear a circle or something to separate your Group from every other rock on the beach.

Aimed and area of effect are not compatible. Either you effect the entire area or you aim at a certain thing. you can not have both.

If you want to effect 10 stones Targeted at a group then you might want to change it to voice range so you do not have to hold 10 stones.

Earths Carbuncle (ArM pg 156) is similar. Just loose the muto req. +1 mag for stone only ( which now makes it 1 cu. foot. of material) and you create a swirling cloud of stones that cause +10 damage. It is not aimed.

Also realize the Target is the stones not the people you are shooting at if you are targeting.

Area of effect is problematic if your grogs are also contending with the intended recipient of the spell.

Regarding the multiple rocks, there is a spell in AtD that is somewhat like it, maybe it could provide a guideline for damage. It's on page 31 'Abrading Stones' and it picks up a bunch of rocks and grinds them on the targets for +5 damage each round. it's not the same, but maybe can help.

and then there's this...(mechanically it's fine as fas I can tell)

Um...did your character actually make a spell to hurt angels and beings with Divine Might? Is Eve going to take on the Throne then? I've stayed out of this discussion...but seriously if ANYONE in the Order knew that Eve had this spell, invented it etc, I would think it would cause huge problems. That could be its own discussion of course, but even Zoltan (who is affected more harshly by the Divine) would wonder why a Magus would have a spell like this.

That is the spell I was looking for and could not remember where i had seen it.

ReTe25
R: Voice D: diameter T: part
This spell lifts all the loose rocks and pebbles in a 15-foot radis about the target and grinds then against the victim. Damage is +5 per round.
Base 4, +2 voice, +1 Diameter, +1 Part, +1 size

It runs into the Limit of the Divine. Can't effect the Divine with Hermatic magic.

Actually, it would work fine, but I'd hate to be around for the blowback. Just as Angels are blocked by the Aegis and Parma so too would they be hurt by this. An Angel is separate from God and if on Earth is within the lunar sphere. Their will is their own (even if they always do what God says). A free willed being like a magus can affect them. But I'd also easily see that if they cried out for help from the the Big Guy then probably the laws of Magic vs Divine come in.

This is basically reinforced in Legends of Hermes I think, the first Magus who proved that Vim affects all Realms.

Hey, Divine Might doesn't mean not a jackass. I'm pretty sure most angels would have some harsh words about many parts of the Order. And that isn't even mentioning Saints, Nephilim, Relics, Stray Dogs or the like that could also have Divine Might. Plus enemies of the Order abound who can call upon the Divine. There are Sahir's with Divine Abilities out there. Holy Magi can outright create creatures with Divine Might. What if I needed to wage wizard's war on one? Or March on a Holy Magi? What if someone compels a Saint or whatever into fighting for them?

I'm thinking it might be simpler just to go the chasm opening route, and get a multi-target spell with one of my unspent post gauntlet levels.

Not from what page 79 seems to say. Saints, and Angels are not covered. That said, you may or may not end up with Divine blow back.

It's a legal spell, and there's nothing in the Oath about it...

But wow...there would be some serious blowback i would think.

The Limit of the Divine state that you can't affect the Divine, but you can affect the agents of the Divine. So angels and saints, except saints normally don't have Might. That spell will work just fine on an angel, unless it is in the process of carrying a Divine mission (like the Annunciation, or unleashing the Seven Plagues of Egypt). Of course, the kind of angels usually chosen to carry out that kind of mission will probably laugh at that particular spell anyway.

It's still a bad idea, but as a theoretical exercise, why not ?

I think you mean to say that Eve may or may not end up with Divine blow back. Pride, Hubris, seeking to ascend to the Hall of Heroes for her own slice of immortality. I can see Eve having this spell, an an Angel warning her off her path and Eve blasting it back to Kingdom Come. How's that going to work out for her?

Spell design to replace the volley:
Rend the Earth-ReTe-20
Range: Voice Duration: Mon, Target: Part
Rapidly forces out a part of the earth leaving a crater behind, 12 paces across and 18 feet deep in the center. Those nearby may take damage, be buried, or be perfectly fine at the GM's option by the onrushing dirt.
Base 3+2 voice+1part+2 size

Two new spells I want to run by everyone

The metal that follows-ReTe-30
Range: Voice Duration: Sun T: Individual
The maga can levitate a piece of metal, controlling it for the duration. The spell has strength+5 and the metal can be used to carry other items or people. Most notably the spell is fairly easy to control. Items can be set to follow the maga. A couple piece of metal in the maga's boots or metal boots for that matter will allow her to walk through the air.
Base 5 +2 voice +2 sun +1 complexity

Tommy's Gone-ReTe-30
R: Sight D: Mom T: Group
A heavy modification of the invisible sling invented by the Magus Tommy. He designed it inflict heavy pain to a bunch of people so he could run away while they were trying to keep their heads down. This spell can fling metal instead of just stone, and can inflict +10 damage with sharpened metal such as arrow heads. Furthermore with the group target up to ten pieces of metal can be used, although no more than one may strike a single person.
Base 5+3 sight+2 group
???-30 levels