1205 Fall - Trouble with Telsbergs

Otto seems pleased. After a bit more of small talk he asks Guido to accompany Clusius back to his servants, and the two of you begin your walk towards the main keep.

Clusius takes this opportunity to speak with Guido. Slowing his pace, he asks the steward, "Guido, sorry for being blunt, but I am worried about this. Can you see how things can go badly? As I said, Rudolph does not seem to like you much. What will happen when he is Burgraff, do you think?"

The steward also slows down, and chooses his words carefully before speaking. Since you are both alone he changes to French.

"I share your concern, Quentin. The Burgraff believes that it's just pride that keeps Rudolph from trusting me. However, I believe he fears that I might have any aspiration to become the next head of the family. Which I assure you, I don't have."

Guido takes a handkerchief from a pocket and uses it to wipe his head before going on.

"I hope that the Burgraff's desire, his son learning how to be a good lord, becomes true, but I doubt it's going to happen. Rudolph is, as you said, prone to anger, and for much time has nurtured his fear and jealousy of my proximity to the Burgraff into a nasty hatred. If he becomes my lord, it's good enough if my wife and sons can escape alive. As for the valley, I don't think he, as he is now, is suitable as a lord."

"But if he doesn't become the Burgraff, then the lands are likely to be divided between the Burgraff's daughters. I must confess I'd not like that. My lord has toiled too much to keep unity in the family and to avoid petty disputes, and I'm afraid that once all is divided, we are going to see much strife."

He gives you a look.

"It's also uncertain which daughter would inherit the lands where you live now, so I don't think this would suit you either. On that note, the Burgraff instructed me to give you a letter reaffirming your rights to live in the land and levy taxes for the next years. Now it bears your name, not your grandfather's. It's only valid while Lord Otto lives, so let's hope he has many years ahead of him yet. I'll bring it to you after you reunite with your men."

You keep going towards the keep, but there is still some time before you reach it.

(OOC: I'd appreciate a Per+Awareness check).

(Per 2 + Awareness 2 + roll 4 = 8)

Unless Clusius feels they are being listened to (their being watched is almost a given), he replies quietly, "I wish we were able to speak some more, in private. I don't want to give you false hope, but perhaps we could do something to safeguard you and your family, when the time comes."

OOC: Small edit to previous conversation. If Rudolph doesn't inherit it's likely that the Brugraff's daughters will.

No one seems to be listening to your conversation, and even if they are, you take some comfort in that they are not likely to speak French.

Guido is interested in your proposal. He asks you to accompany him to get the document he just mentioned, instead of waiting with the grogs. In a couple of minutes you both enter a small scriptorium, and the man quickly produces from inside a drawer. It's the letter of authorization he just mentioned, written in the same neat caligraphy as the invitation that arrived at Tugurium a few days earlier, and bears the Burgraff's seal at the end.

"While this place doesn't offer much comfort, it should be reserved enough for our conversation. It should also give us an excuse if someone happens to find us here." He rises the letter.

(OOC Some knowledge of French wouldn't be unusual in the area. Belfort, just outside the mountains and less than 100 km to the north-east, is part of the Duchy of Burgundy. Most local servants probably wouldn't understand the language, but anyone who has travelled a bit in the region would have some a good chance of knowing some French.)

"As you know," explains Clusius, "my grandfather built a manor near Chastellion, which I inherited. Over his life, my grandfather gathered a number of odd people who were in need of a safe place to live and work. Although the valley is small, the manor itself is large and sprawling, although a bit... strange. But it would be easy to hide a few people there."

"My understanding is that the manor itself was built on lands that were granted to my grandfather and his heirs for 99 years." Clusius' tone is probably more uncertain than he wished it was, for his grasp of the legal ground of this claim is weak. "The right to collect the taxes from Chastellion, on the other hand, has to be renewed every few year by the Burgraff. Which," he points to the letter, "this does. But which is at risk should the next Burgraff decide not to renew it." (1)

Taking another deep breath, Clusius tries to switch to a slightly different subject. "The burgraff mentionned something that you may be able to clarify for me. He said my grandfather helped him... and that I could do the same for Rudolph and fix things... just like that?" He waves his hand in the air, like the Burgraff did. "Do you know what he meant? Does he really believe I can fix any problem as if by magic?" Clusius tries to instill some incredulity in that last sentence. It isn't totally faked, because he knows that many problems cannot be fixed using magic -- at least not any magic he has control over.

(1) That is essentially correct. Only the source of income is at risk, not the right to live in the covenant's small valley.

OOC: I was thinking mostly about servants, indeed. Unlikely for Otto, Rudolph or someone else to be sneaking around to hear something.

Guido seems surprised both for your offer and for learning about the land.

"I appreciate your offer. I hope we don't reach that point, but if it does, I will consider it. As for the land, I'm not entirely privy on the conditions agreed between the Burgraff and your grandfather, so I made some assumptions. But I don't think someone else - other than Otto - would know more than me. If you are correct, I wonder what will be Rudolph's reaction when he discovers..." The shadow of a smile goes through his face.

After your question, Guido gives you a pensive look.

"Mister Quentin, allow me to drop a few pretenses. Lord Otto has informed me of a few of his dealings with your grandfather. He told me that your grandfather managed to tether his fate to a star in order to increase his lifespan, and that the same was done for madam Vivien. I even feel inclined to ask of you to change his fate once more, even i that would displease my lord for delaying his meeting with her in the realm of God."

"I'm also aware that he helped Otto to control a few minor crisis... Maybe I should explain to you a bit of the family tree."

"Lord Werner is the freiher of Sogern keep. You can consider Sogern to be a branch of Telsberg; lord Werner is the grandson of Lord Otto's late uncle. While he should be a vassal to the Telsberg, he has, theoretically, potential to claim the position of Burgraff. Unfortunately, he is as competent in martial arts as Rudolph, and they both share the loyalty of the man-at-arms at the valley. Two decades ago, Lord Otto married his eldest daughter to Werner trying to appease any ill intent, but this seems to have achieved the opposite effect, emboldening his acts."

"In the past, your grandfather helped Lord Otto to consolidate his stance in the valley. I'm not privy to all that this means, but I know he solved a few troublesome matters around the valley. Lord Otto has also said that things just seemed to go well for him, and bad for whoever was against him, and he implied that this was done with the help of your grandfather."

"I believe that his intent was the same. That you help Rudolph to solve troubles around the valley, gaining the respect of the people, and to interfere in equal measure with Werner attempts to do the same. And at the same time, help Rudolph become a better lord."

Clusius sighs and rubs his face with his right hand, before he moves to the tall window lighting the scriptorium. After a moment spent looking outside, he turns back to Guido.

"I'm afraid what my grandfather did for Lord Otto -- to increase his lafespan -- couldn't be done without his cooperation. I'll look into it, to see if I can find my grandfather's notes about it, but don't get your hopes up about it."

He looks at Guido for a moment, then asks, "Would you allow me to demonstrate something? This will not do anything to you and it will only take a few minutes."

If Guido agree, Clusius will perform his Parma Magica ritual, sharing its protection with the steward.

"Do you feel any different?"

After considering for a few moments he allows it. As soon as you share your Parma, his expression changes.

"It's like... you go to sleep every night with pain in one knee, and you are used to it. But suddenly one day you wake up and the pain is gone."

"Indeed," nods Clusius, "it is a burden that some people like me must live with, which makes it more difficult to mingle with others. The little prayer I just performed allowed me to insulate you from its effects for a short time."

"For some, this burden is caused by a curse they are born with, or which is inflicted on them later in their life. It doesn't grant them any magical power at all, but it makes it difficult for them to lead a normal life."

"Others," he continues, "possess a degree of magical powers. My grandfather was one of those, but he sought to use this power to shelter those less fortunate than he was from the suspicion it causes. That is one of the reasons for which he built the manor, as a refuge for them."

Guido nods, indicating he understands your words... and then his mouth opens in surprise, his face a bit pale.

"This means everyone at you mansion...?"

Clusius shakes his head. "Far from it! As I said, there are many who have the same burden, without possessing any magical power. Some do have a few... unusual abilities that are quite limited. None are as powerful as my grandfather was."

"Others do not share this burden at all, but are unsuited to lead a life in town amongst normal folks. Some are disfigured and would be ridiculed for it. Some are women who chose to learn a man's craft. Others were simply born there and prefer to stay there."

"Why are you telling me all of this?"

"Because the Burgraff seems to think I can make all of Rudolph's problems go away with magic, which isn't the case. And because even if I do have access to some unusual resources, mostly from others who live at the mansion, these are nowhere near as strong as those my grandfather had himself. So I fear that Otto's unrealistic expectation of the support I could provide Rudolph will lead to disaster. For Rudolph, for you, and for those living at the mansion."

"There is also the fact that others seem to have heard of what my grandfather did for Otto, and are seeking our support. A little while ago, I received a visit from Agnes..."

He waits for you to continue, as expressionless as he can.

Clusius sighs, "Basically, she wanted me to deny Otto and Rudolph any support. And support her as she... well, she didn't specify what she intended to do, but probably somthing along the lines of take away Rudolph's place as future leader of the valley. And, of course, threatened retibution if I didn't support her."

Clusius just shakes his head, "I don't intend to support her, but her boldness in approaching me to try and undermine her father -- more likely her brother -- is worrying to me. I don't know what you can do with that information, or even if you can do something with it, but there it is. I would have told Otto that myself, but he seemed... I don't know... too unrealistic in his expectations."

"I will try to bring this to the Burgraff's attention. He has been too caring for Agnes, but maybe this will help him reevaluate things."

He hesitates.

"Thanks for trusting me with this information. Even if it's not the wise thing to do, I want to be loyal to his wish regarding his successor. Even if it seems to bring disaster. If further down the road it becomes clear that Rudolph is not fit... Then I hope there is still time to change things. But to which direction, I would not dare say."

"But anyway, it would not be wise of me to delay you any further. I'm sure you have much to attend."

"I am sure you do also. One last thing," Clusius adds, "if you have to send me a letter or a messenger, have them mention the bridge in Laimunt. This will be a way for me to know that they are really from you."

"I will remember to do so."

"Mister Quentin, in name of the Burgraff, I'd like to thank you for attending and hearing his request. I hope we can have more fruitful interactions in the future. At the same time, I apologize for any discomfort that my poor manners may have caused."

In the blink of an eye, Guido is back to the role of zealous and dedicated assistant. He guides Clusius back to where the grogs are waiting - Klaus is making a suspiciously huge effort to appear well behaved - and sends you off.

OOC: Unless Clusius wants to do something else, you all arrive at the covenant with no further trouble.

1 Like

The feast of all saints day approaches, and the valley gets a little more lively, but the magi are not disturbed in their affairs.

• Father Luc preaches to however attends to mass, and is pleased with the presence of any magi (at least he tries to appear pleased).

• Peter, the cook, managed to get a small supply of vegetables and presents a nice dinner to the magi, seemingly very proud of himself.

• Levi, the carpenter, is getting better. About time - says his wife - because he is behind in his work schedule.

After a few days Agnes sends a letter. She "heard" Quentin visited her father, and thanks him for his trouble. Furthermore, she would be pleased to hear what is Quentin's opinion, as a scholar, about her father's health.

(OOC: Clusius can decide to make a small visit, send a letter back, or even simply ignore her. Either way, I see this as outside of the scope of the current story. It may prompt a future story or become a background event.)

Adventure Results
  • Clusius made first contact with the Telsberg family.
    • Burgraff Otto Telsberg expects Clusius to support his son's, Rudolf, claim to the title of Burgraff. He believes there are people within the family that don't want Rudolph to inherit.
    • Guido, Otto's bastard, right hand of the Burgraff, believes that Rudolph is not fit to rule, but wants to comply with the will of his father.
    • Rudolph is overall displeased with Clusius and the trust his father deposits on the magi, but it seems that their relation can be mended... maybe.
    • Agnes' complete intentions are still unknow. She is the eldest daughter of Otto, and married to the current lord of Sogern Keep, Werner. Guido believes she wants her husband to become the next Burgraff.
  • Clusius received a gift from Agnes: 1 pawn of Perdo vis.
Adventure Notes and Potential Seeds
  • Which type of problems will Rudolph face trying to present himself as a rightful heir?
  • What type of problems will this mean for the covenant?
  • How will the members of the Telsberg family proceed from now on?
  • Is there anything else to Agnes? How did she get her hands on vis?
  • Who will the covenant support?
  • What did the grogs do while Clusius wasn't looking?

Adventure Source Quality: 8
Vis finding: 1 pawn of Perdo vis