1220.0 The First Council

[color=blue]"I cannot cast Aegis of the Hearth myself, unfortunately, but I am able to contribute to the casting with a Wizard's Communion of the third magnitude"

Iosephus adds:

"I can cast neither spell, so I'm afraid I can offer very little help. I have lived alone, and have had small cause to be concerned about security.

Here he nods respectfully to the others in turn, starting with Alexei, who raised the issue of security in the first place.

"But all solitary things tumble together eventually, and I am here to enter into Covenant with others, and to learn. I would very much like to learn Wizard's Communion. To tumble alongside, and with, and through, the Powers of one's sodales! It will be a Change for me, and a Transformation. From Solitude to Covenant and Communion! I do not mind telling you that these things are a large part of why I am here.

Apollodorus says as if remembering something from long ago. "I believe there is a Wizard's Communion of 6th magnitude as well."

Alexei is tracing his finger on the table space in front of him and thinking. After several moments he speaps up. "I would need to study more before I could learn that Aegis spell, though I could probably learn the Communion well enough. What about the vis for it? Is there enough in the stores?"

"No, unfortunately, we do not have any vim or Rego in the stores. However, we do have a ripe vis source now and can trade, or extract the Rego from the dedicated vis, even though it is a waste. There should be a Redcap by by the middle of April. Alternatively, someone could decide to do some farming for the covenant. We do have a Vim vis source, which is extremely valuable due to its rarity and size, but that won't be ripe until Autumn." The way he says farming it is immediately obvious that he finds the idea extremely distasteful. \

"As to books for learning, we have a tome by the inestimable Istavan of Criamon about Vim. If you can actually decipher his riddles you'll end up learning a lot." It's a Vim summa Q9L14.

OOC note about the Vis sources: I've been working on a schedule for when these become available, and adjusting them as necessary. Some of them as written could be considered contested vis sources, that hook wasn't selected, so I'm adjusting some resources so they aren't quite so difficult to collect (the chess game is now ridiculously easy for most characters, for example), or are more predictible for ripe collection. For those wanting a difficult to collect resource, there are always Lucatio to try one's hand at. Known registered vis sources just waiting to be collected, or something. :smiling_imp:

OOC post
Here are the vis sources collated by season.
The Corpus one is essentially contested as written. There's either a boon that you guys are eligible for, or it needs to be rewritten. I adjusted the great game so it wasn't difficult.
Additionally, I boosted the Rego vis source and the Vim vis source with Mad Max's unallocated build points, however they don't ripen until Winter and Autumn, respectively.

So, there are three decisions relating to the Aegis. Wait for available Vis or extract from the Aura or...? Who's learning what? Someone needs to learn the Aegis, and someone should learn Wizard's Communion. It looks like no one can actually learn the 35th level Aegis see chart need to learn some Vim or Rego or do something before learning the Aegis. Would you like me to bump that back down to 30th level or provide a 30th level Aegis of lesser power (there are some available bps), either a reduction in size or in protection? I'm flexible. This item seems to be stymieing the council.

As to Jonah taking the first season, I think this is settled, since he offered, and two of the 4 others accepted, that's 3 out of 5, which is a majority (remember, Apollodorus doesn't intend to vote). I've adjusted the topic names a bit to reflect this change.

[color=blue]"Would the Redcaps or your Quaesitores be willing to trade us Rego or Vim for the dedicated Rego Terram vis from the King on a seven-for-six basis?" Fiona asks thoughfully.

Edit: SG changed Creo to Rego when talking about the dedicated vis.

"I would think that we could do better than that, even." Apollodorus suggests helpfully. "I'm not very familiar with the Redcap, who's coming and his name escapes me at the moment. The one who visited me regularly before recently retired and went back to Iberia. I'll have no advantage or disadvantage in barganining with him. Perhaps you can see to his arrangements and cater to him when he arrives? It would also be a good idea for anyone to have their correspondence ready."

Dedicated vis effectively counts as 2 pawns when used in appropriate rituals of the form, it's very valuable. The weight could be an issue, though...

Alexei speaks up. "I have some Rego vis in my personal stores, I'd be happy to contribute it to this first casting of the Aegis. I believe that the dedicated vis is too valuable to trade unless we get a more favourable rate. If I contribyte my vis for a casting of the Aegis I would like some kind of compensation, it need not be much, the protection of the Aegis is very important."

Apollodorus looks upon Alexei, "I agree, but what do you consider a favorable bargain?"

"We should probably consult with our Verditius maybe. But I think Rego is vis alone is quite valuable, I'd price it at worth 2 pawns of any Form. With dedicated Vis...while it is more valuable, it is also already committed to a specific combination that might not be desirable to some. Having said that we should at least get half again on the return, so for every 2 pawns we trade we should at least get 3 pawns in return. We might also send out letters for the future to such House as Verditius and Bonisagus, those two might find it more valuable...should we wish to trade this vis rather than use it. I know I can find uses for it."

Onesiphorus: Could we not just wait for the resources to become available. First we don’t have anyone who knows the ritual and it will take a season to learn it and that assumes that we don’t have to study anything before learning the ritual. Here is my plan. First someone takes upon learning the rituals and spells needed. Then we should construct a laboratory that is focused upon vis extraction. If we had any apprentices this would be a great task for an apprentice who is in his later years. I could construct some equipment that aids with vis extraction and we could make sure that there are enough supplies to make a very well supplied if seldom used laboratory. At first we will be unguarded if we do not wish to loan vis for payment for a caster and the ritual but then we can set an apprentice to extract vis for us and then use the vis to cast the ritual. This should not endanger our aura as we release the vis into the aura again. This will take some effort but I think that it will be worth it in the future.

"If the person learning the Aegis does not know Wizard's Communion, that must be learned, as well. That means two seasons, so casting it at the end of summer. I'd also prefer someone have mastered the Aegis to minimize the risk of error. The following year, I'd like to remove myself from casting altogether, and just be a standard participant in the ritual to avoid the risk of a miscast spell."

"Based on previous discussions and correspondence with each of you, I'd say Onisephorus or Silviatos are close to being able to learn the spell in a season. Silviatos almost certainly, if he enlists the aid of his apprentice and familiar. And since he knows Wizard's Communion already, it means we could cast it by the end of spring."

Apollodorus pauses to consider the idea of waiting until the vis is available, "The Vim would be ripe in Autumn, and the Rego ripens in the Winter. We can certainly wait for the vis sources to ripen if everyone is willing. Further, it would allow others to learn Wizard's communion, and I could perhaps excuse myself from the casting of the ritual, and just be a standard participant. Given my advanced age, I would like that." Note, Apollodorus looks to be in his lower 40s, younger than almost all the magi joining him (some players don't have age/apparent ages listed for their characters, please update this).
"As to creation of another lab, that is entirely optional, and I have no opinion about it, either way."

"Some excellent ideas all. I don't like waiting until Autumn for an Aegis, but our needs might require that. If so, our Aegis will be in better condition at that point. I could learn the Communion I believe and will focus on our defenses more."

"And just how will you focus on defenses? The Aegis is a large part of that, naturally, what else did you have in mind?"

Alexei nods and brings out a list on papers that he's been working on.

"The Aegis and the Regio figure prominently in our defense naturally. We need to put guards at the Regio entrances, considering that one of them is inside the Sanctum I believe of one of our members, that means just one other entrance, am I correct? From there I will be getting the walls rebuilt. I've spoken with Reynault about securing masons for the work as it will largely be mundane. It will be a long project no doubt. I also have some ideas for adding an enchanted device to the walls to make them stronger and so that damage will repair on its own. Finally, we should recruit a larger turb of grogs as we re-fit the quarters and barracks on the land. It'd be nice if we didn't have so many peasant house arrayed so haphazardly within the lands, it makes it harder to defend ourselves. But I don't think it is necessary for them to move...yet, perhaps those closest to the walls. They should be compensated of course if we have them move."

Onesiphorus: If we do not know of any imidiate threats to our covenant I think that the aegis can wait. After all we are a handful of senior magi and if there are no imidiate threats then I think that we can hold our own for now, especially if we take some precaution and remain alert. We have a some work to do. One season of work to set up the elementary lab during which I manufacture the lesser magical item that will be the focus of the lab. After that is done then someone install the item I crafted as a major focus point in the lab. Onesiphorus picks up a vax tablet and begins to sketch a chamber shaped like an octagon. Like this… Onesiphorus continues to draw and his voice has a tint of excitement. That is at least two seasons of work. With further seasons work we could get a even grander item and install a few more focus points to harness any sympathetic magic that is needed. Then we can crank out the vis needed without much difficulties. Also we must make sure that only the best of laboratory supplies and equipment is used. However I do need a few pawns of vis to do my craft. Onesiphorus frown. Perhaps we should just stick to non vis costing means. I can spend some season later crafting, enchanting the centrepiece. Who can take care of the other tasks?

Alexei definitely is intrigued by Onesiphorus's ideas but still has reservations. "I think that project and the fruits of it are important...but I believe security must come first. I don't feel that I can be as much help in the Aegis and Communion, not in a timely fashion perhaps. Plus with my own focus on the mundane security..." he pauses and regards the Verditius with a critical eye before smiling broadly and offering the carafe of wine to fill his cup. "Surely you could learn the spells and perhaps cast them by the Autumn, could you not Sodale? Your wondrous inventions deserve security and protection first, and then they can flourish. Would you not agree?"

Onesiphorus accepts the refilling of his cup and speaks. I know that I am more than capable of learning the rituals and security is important. I assume that I am the most skilled magus when it comes to vim but that is not the issue. We are many magi here and each of us must contribute. If I would be learning and casting the ritual and making the items that I am suggesting then I will be working somewhere between six and ten seasons for our common good. Does everyone else wish to work as much for the common good? I think it is best if we all focus on our strengths and contribute as such. If needed perhaps we should find a lesser version of the aegis? My invention is a keystone in making our aegis sustain itself without taxing our resources. But yes there is work to be done with both creating the lab and later operate it. If we build the lab as I suggest then it will yield at least two pawns per season if even the most dimwitted apprentice operates the laboratory equipment.

[color=blue]"Nor do I. Would not a 'weak' Aegis be better than none at all? If nothing else, it could serve as the equivalent of a 'No Trespassing' sign. And once we have more vis, and more sodales capable of casting a stronger Aegis, then we can improve on what we have."

[color=blue]"I assume that the peasants have been here for quite some time, then?" Fiona asks. [color=blue]"Then may I suggest that, while recruiting for a larger turb is a good idea, evicting the tenants, even with compensation, would not. There are very few defences more formidable than a group of men fighting for their homes. If we are going to plan a defence against mundane attacks, I think having a mob that is loyal would be a boon."