1220.1a Look who's coming to dinner

"We find it unseemly to veto choices for dueling, generally. In cases where this is used to settle a dispute, it is of course allowed, but for simple duels, we generally stick with the inital choice. I choose Terram for the Form."

Luna seems to grow more uncomfortable as the dinner progresses, once the matter of the certamen challenge details have been agreed to. "Master Apollodorus, forgive my impertinence, but are you aware of the difficulty you've placed yourself in? Iaeptus is powerful, and his public disgrace seems ill-advised." The question hangs in the air and silences all conversation at the table while everyone waits for Apollodorus to

"Luna, you are perhaps a bit young to be in the position you find yourself, so I will ignore the inadvertant insult you dropped and chalk it up to youthful exhuberance." When he says that Luna's face blanches and her mouth comes to her face as if embarrassed by what she said, "However, the question before is valid. I had been content to handle matters with Iaeptus privately, as I said. However, Iaeptus came into my very home and insulted me and expected me to ignore it. Propriety, etiquette and respect for one's elders do matter, and as a Tremere, you should understand that. I had always felt Poena's appointment of Iaeptus was," and Apollodorus stretches this out as if to make a point, "ill-advised. She has a chance to rectify this mistake now, tonight. You took Maris's place, because she asked it, but you didn't think about the implications of her request, you didn't put two and two together. Maris is at Coeris now challenging Iaeptus for her sigil, which is now open to her where it was more difficult for her before, and secondly, I hope, to be Exarch. Why do you think I said check and mate, Luna? Iaeptus is finished as Exarch, one way or another. And while Maris becoming Exarch isn't contingent on anything, it would be a matter of personal pride if Poena accepts Maris as the Exarch after she defeats Iaeptus."

(OOC: did I drop enough clues, yet?)

After most of the next course is eaten in silence, Apollodorus interrupts the quiet diners. "You must excuse my former House-mates. Very few are used to engaging in dinner conversation. I encourage you to ask deep questions of them to draw them out of their shells." All of the Tremere look discomforted by such a prospect.

Alexei is eating his dinner with gusto when he hears Apollodorus's invitation. Licking the grease off his fingers he turns to them. "Sodales...have you ever engaged in Wizard's melee? Or perhaps the Trial of Fire? Certaman will always remain a masterful method of magical challenge, but variety is necessary, don't you think?"

Entirely OOC post.
qcipher, I've exhausted my books, can't find references to Trial of Fire. Can you provide some direction on this?

Sometimes called Inrelte's Certamen, it's in the Societates book under Flambeau in their list of spells. Basically two wizards face off, one casts a spell that causes fire to spring up in a circle (filling the entire circle) that they are standing in. The last one to leave the circle wins. It may have a differen name though.

Test of the Flames, then. OK.
"We use Wizard's Melee as part of training exercises, and not for competition, per se. And as far as the Test of Flames, while it is true that many Tremere have an extraordinary gift with Certamen, it is something that can be overcome. I'm sure you're aware of some Magi who are immune to fire, naturally, and this then is no test of skill. We believe that Certamen can be one by anyone, it is efficient, and it is by and large fair in the way that The Test of Flames may not be, and may even be used to kill someone.
"There are some of us who compete in the Tourney in various events. I finished 7th overall in the Certamen event. Maris won. Kahalf, who's speaking to your Criamon friend, placed 3rd in the joust."

Alexei nods as he listens, obviously a favorite topic and claps politely at the accomplishments.

"Yes the Test of Fire has lost some of its appeal as more Flambeau and others seem to be peculiarly imune to flame. We've actually had to test those who wish to participate in some cases. That it is dangerous though is sauce for the goose we say. However Certaman should remain as the primary magical contest, as you say, any wizard of the Order can compete in it. I'm eager for our contest, what shall you wager against my two pawns of Corpus vis?"

Luna offers, "My gamblers share is two pawns of Vim, but that hardly matters." she gives you a grin suggesting she doesn't think she'll lose.

[OOC, we can startup another thread for the Certamen contest, to leave it out of this thread, and allow any remaining players to draw more information out of the Tremere guests.]

((Sounds good, but I won't be able to make any rolls until tomorrow. I'm at work now and will be out tonight.))

Alexei smiles at her confidence. "You seem rather assured that my master Tristan didn't teach me the famed secrets of House Tremere and their skill at Certamen. He was of House Tremere you know."

((A bluff, but she doesn't necesarily know that))

"We are always aware of those who have left the House, and what they do, though for some it takes longer to see where they've run to ground." Luna flashes a pretty smile at you, but it is cold and lifeless.

"Luna, you may find being Iaeptus pet to be a distinct disadvantage very shortly, I had thought you clever enough to figure out what Maris is really doing now." Apollodorus stares at her firmly until it suddenly dawns on her what Apollodorus is implying, and all the color drains from her face. The tension continues to hang in the air, and anyone from an extended family is suddenly struck by the realization of how familiar the interactions are between Apollodorus and these Tremere.

Alexei quirks an eyebrow at the exchange of word and expression between Apollodorus and guest. "Why, how now Luna? What does Apollodorus mean by this? I gathered that Maris is requiting herself against the...humbled Iaeptus. What does that mean to you?"

Apollodorus coughs delicately as Luna doesn't respond. She seems a bit confused as to what's going on, as if she had one conclusion and is now realizing something quite the opposite. "It is unlikely that Luna will answer you about the true nature of her relationship to Iaeptus, but she'd long desired to assume Maris position within his staff. However, Maris is quite adept at politics among other things. And by having her fortunes so closely tied to Iaeptus, Luna's station falls as his does. I'm not sure what she thought Maris was doing, but I am sure it didn't occur to her that it was a move to the Dragon Banner. I expect that our lovely Luna here will be reassigned by the new Exarch. I had not expected events to turn as they did when I invited Iaeptus here. I expected the chess game that Maris had put in motion would take much longer, and had I not intervened, it would have.

"Iaeptus and Maris are siblings, after a fashion, Iaeptus is the much older sibling, naturally. With most siblings there's an amount of rivalry, and between Maris and Iaeptus it was no different, despite the great differences in ages. I'm not sure that Luna here ever knew. No, I'm sure there's much here Luna doesn't know. She doesn't realize who she's insulting. Well, she didn't, but she should now." As he says that what little color in her cheeks disappears, "Run me to ground, indeed. I've been where I said I would be all along. Iaeptus probably told you I was a renounced Tremere, which would be a convenience if only it were true. Poena would take me back in a moment, but I'll never go back. I've provided service to the House above and beyond what any of you can imagine, and by removing Iaeptus I continue that service. No, he and Maris both took the same lesson of keeping one's enemies closer, and Iaeptus and Maris were as close as they could be, he just understimated her, while she never underestimated him. He is my greatest failure. I could not get the arrogance out of him, even though his arrogance came about as a result of phenomenal skill and mastery of his Arts." Apollodorus refills his glass of wine and broods within it. Luna's face changes between fear, rage and utter frustration.

Staring Luna down he says calmly, "I don't like politics, but I am good at it, and I taught my apprentices well, it's disappointing that Iaeptus didn't pass the knowledge down." Turning to Alexei, Apollodorus says, "Alexei, you should be careful. Luna is a formidable appointment in Certamen, of that I have no doubt, and I'm sure she'd love to take her anger and frustration out on someone close to me."

Alexei clearly is not following all of the various permutations of what Apollodorus just said. 'Is he saying that Iaeptus was his own apprentice?' but he did understand his last statement. He smiles and picks up his cup of wine. "Sauce for the goose my friend. The Tytalus aren't the only ones who long for a difficult challenge."

"So Apollodorus...it looks like I've discovered why you were so busy and unable to pursue your arts as much. It seems you're starting your own House!" Alexei jokes as it suddenly becomes clear.

Iosephus sits up and takes notice at this. This kind of idea intrigues him - many Criamon are loners, mystics, and iconoclasts, or even outright heretics, so there's always talk within the House of people planning to go off and start a new House somewhere else. It rarely happens, of course, and has never yet succeeded... But the idea seems of considerable theoretical interest to Iosephus. He watches carefully for Apollodorus' response.

"Not quite. I'm very old. I've trained several apprentices, some were mine, and some were sent to me. Iaeptus and Maris were both my apprentices." When he says this a couple of the Tremere gasp or look otherwise shocked. "Iaeptus was taken earlier on in my life, Maris gauntleted about 10 years before I left House Tremere. My parens passed after I had left the Tremere, and I had never sought my sigil.

"Usually, when a master passes the sigils fall to the first apprentice, as a matter of Hermetic inheritance. However, since I was no longer in the House, Iaeptus inherited, as my master had only one apprentice alive when he passed into Final Twilight." Apollodorus indicates himself. "Iaeptus has always been shrewd, arrogant and ambitious. He cowed Maris into not pursuing for her sigil, which she could have in exchange for taking her as his chief lieutenant. Maris is, perhaps, even more ambitious, but she is prudent. Challenging Iaeptus for her sigil could be misconstrued as a challenge for the role of Exarch. She is finally doing that now. He's proven to every Tremere present, except Luna, that he is unfit for the role he's been entrusted. He erred in thinking that I would be amused at his antics, but he is not a child any longer. And it took some prodding, but Maris finally overcame her cautious nature. She is ready to lead. In reality Maris has been leading while Iaeptus and Luna played their many games." The Tremere at the table seem to nod while Luna seethes and stares daggers into Apollodorus.

ALexei sighs and rolls his eyes. "Politics and intrigue. I find it so...unmanly. I salute you Apollodorus in staying aloof from it and finally resolving the issue in so telling a fashion. You won't find such gamesmanship in House Flambeau or the Milites. Meritocracy is the rule. Our current Primus earned his spot and will only hold it as long as he can, it's not easy to control the fire in our House. But I digress. With this sudden change how would we expect the votes of Tremere in our Tribunal to change? In our favor I should hope."

"Maris, if Poena confirms her as Exarch, will keep Tremere interests. They may or may not align with ours. However, I can perhaps predict what those interests may be, and how she might exercise her authority. While Maris may personally appreciate what I have done, she will not allow that to interfere with her duty to her House. I may be able to at best predict where Tremere interests an ours intersect. And there is always the possibility of negotiating for interests to align. That process may be more agreeable now."

Fiona has remained silent throughout this exchange, following it intently, her eyes darting back and from from one speaker to the next. She is, for now, content to absorb all this new information, to digest it thoroughly as she starts to get an inkling of what the Tribunal and inter-House politics on the continent, and in Normandy, will be like. Different, yes, but not completely foreign to her.

She is almost looking forward to her first Tribunal in Normandy...the first where she will, hopefully, be allowed a voice and not be simply a junior, silent maga in her Covenant's delegation.

"All politics is local. All human interaction is political at some level. All wars are the result of population pressures. Look hard enough and you'll find this to be true. The Schism was a war with Diedne rapidly out numbering the entirety of the Order. Of course that doesn't excuse the actual war but it explains the reason behind the war."