1220.5 Going the Extra Miles (Alexei's Story)

It seems that (unless you have something planned) the adventure for the fair will be pretty ordinary regardless of what Alexei does. We might as well have that go as planned and concentrate on a Milites story. Alexei intends to mainly monitor and direct the wall reconstruction as well as try to hire experts plus any covenfolk that want to work (and who wouldn't be taken off of important work). I've also been thinking of some labwork that could be done to increase the power of the walls. I'm thinking of a brick used in a prominent portion of the wall that could actually regenerate damage done to the wall through a constant Creo Terram effect, but that would likely mean the wall needs to be intact first.

As I see it, you need to hire an architect skilled in fortifications, and an associated workgang. How are you going to do that?
Also, are you prepared for the temporal consequences of building such a fortified area as the top of the Mount?

He'll consult Reynault regarding mortal craftsman that might be local or regional. If there are none available he might send discreet word to such places as Italy or Germany for architects. As for temporal issues, he mainly wishes to repair existing structures that are in bad shape for now. The main defenses still are invisible; on the other side of the Regio. He doesn't intend to build new ones yet.

Reynault doesn't have immediate contacts, but he could contact some people who could contact some people. He suggests that someone with your background might be better informed about people who do this kind of thing, (hint, this is a good idea to mine/create backstory, and it is entirely reasonable for you to have worked with someone experienced in this area in the past).

I had earlier mentioned the quality of the wall.

The wall, such as it is, is basically a pile of rubble. It must be rebuilt in its entirety. And this goes for both walls.

Then that's what we'll do, rebuild the walls. My idea of an item helping keep the walls repaired might do well then. We'd definitely need some pros to help with the walls, some magic on my part can speed things up also.

Regarding dealing with the mundanes, he'll burn that bridge when he comes to it. His initial thinking is that the local nobles will likely be willing to bargain for skilled mercenaries (like himself), if he takes care of a problem of theirs, he can build the walls and so forth. The nice thing about his magic is that he can easily pass as just a skilled and/or lucky warrior and not jeopardize the Order. At least that's how he sees it.

Plans for rebuilding the walls have been drawn up, and when funds are available you've given sufficient direction for Reynault to see that they get implemented. Recruting grogs has been troublesome at best. You've added only two. Most of the peasants seem interested in pursuing a trade or taking over their family's flock.

When the redcap visits Mons Electi in late June, after he's been seen to and conducted any of his general business, he seeks you out for a discreet delivery.
In your hand he places a scroll sealed with the stamp of the Milites and Garus sigil. After he delivers it, he waits politely, if not expectantly.

"Thank you loyal Redcap." Alexei says and leads him over to an area where he keeps both food, refreshments and the payroll. From there he offers the Redcap 3 silver pennies as well as a pawn of Corpus vis.

((Is this the same Redcap that had delivered messages back and forth before Alexei arrives? Is that an appropriate tip?))

He then offers the man food and drink and inquires if he intends to stay the night or not as he opens scroll.

No, it's a different one. The vis tip is large, but will establish a reputation with out of area redcaps.

Opening the scroll, you read:

[i]Alexei von Kroistau:

You are requested and required to provide assistance to Xander ex Bonisagus, who will be seeking you out at some point of time within the coming month. As the senior Miles in the area, I've directed him to you. This is a personal favor Murion has asked of us, your discretion will be appreciated. Take the Moor you've recently enlisted into service and one other of your choice, someone very skilled at arms.

Garus, Primus House Flambeau[/i]

Alexei looks somewhat confused 'How did Garo know about the Moor?' he wonders. He turns to the Redcap. "Does the sender require word back?" from there he makes sure the Redcap is properly feasted as he attends to Mufarjj, he hasn't seen him in almost a week.

He walks into the room unannounced, careful not to walk on the prayer rug they supplied him. "And how is my guest this day? Feeling better I trust?"

"I am well enough. Give me my sword and you can find out." It's late June, he's healed to the light wound stage, and should be fully healed in a week or so.

"And let's be clear. I am here because I choose to be. I am not your guest."

Alexei smiles. "Unless I am very mistaken.. You are here because I choose you to be here. But, I did not come to taunt you. It saddens me to see a man of action and skill laid up so long healing. You would like to get out and get some exercise perhaps? If you can promise me that you'll show the courtesy I have towards you, I might be able to provide some distractions. How does that sound?"

"While I have been recovering you have been kind and not pressed me for information. I've had numerous opportunities to escape, but have choosen not to, I have been the soul of courtesy. No, you need something from me, you chose for me to stay and recuperate because you don't know your past and what chases you from place to place. And now I sense you need even more from me."

Alexei scowls, the man was rather perceptive. "Very well, I'd like you to come with me. I have errands to run myself, if you've watched me as long as you say you have then you know what kind of errands I tend to run. Perhaps that's something you might enjoy? I won't order you around, but I won't let you interfere or foil my mission. Are we understood? You can have have your weapons back...or you can stay here a bit longer. Which is it?"

"I will come with you, and I will teach you about your past, while you teach me about my present." As he rises out of his chair, you're remdinded of just how large he is. While he's not as large as Fiona he is certainly formidable.

Alexei nods. "Good enough. Come with me if you please, you can have your weapon back as well as some gear should you need it. I shall also be bringing Michelle Le Rouge, I presume you know him? He will take orders from me. I would suggest speaking carefully with him, and I shall severely instruct him to do the same." he leads him in silence to the armoury where they put his sword. "This sword is quite magnificent. With your consent I'll put an edge on it finer than any man can do." he holds the sword close to himself, not offering it yet.

"Thank you. The sword doesn't need much of an edge, so no. It is almost a crushing weapon. Another reason is that when battling those who are protected against magic it becomes ineffective. At least, so my master said. And should he come after me, I wish for him to feel the full edge of my blade. Do you know of the Jinn who tracks you?"

Alexei smiles ruefully as he hands over the sword. 'It also prevents you from attacking me with it.' he thinks as the sword is taken by him. "No, other than I assume he was your master, as you referred to a master throughout our fight. But I think it has something to do with my father and his adventures on Crusade."

"In the name of Allah, I will not harm you. Something greater than the Jinn took control of my sword and stopped it in midair. Something or someone greater than he protected you that day. Our fates are intertwined now. I will serve you for a time, not out of a sense of obligation, but of a sense of shared need. At some point we will be ready to face the Jinn and you will be free from your past.

"The Jinn said you belong to him, that your father promised you to him. That is all I know. I was dispatched to collect you, because he holds my family hostage. When my sword was stopped and your spear penetrated me, I lost his favor. I can only hope my family is still alive, though I believe that they are."

Alexei's scowl and suspicions fade, an oath to Allah was serious among the Muslims. He didn't place it up with his own oaths to the Order or to the Lord Jesu, but he felt reasonably certain of his sincerity, and his own safety. "Wait...I had assumed that this Jinn, left you at pivotal point in our battle. The way that Spirits are known to be, not some other force. But if that's how you recall it."

"My father...promised me? I don't...he never spoke of his time in the Crusades, but he made a fortune. He turned me over to my Master when I was young, I always had the impression, from my Master...that he was protecting me." Alexei shakes his head. "That's something I'm sure we'll talk more about in the future. I am a Milites, a knight within the Order of Hermes. I have certain obligations, one of them is to protect those in the Order that are not as capable. We're going to be travelling to meet one. It is a privilege and an act of trust to hold the life of someone in your hands, to say that their life will be protected with my life. I'm sure you understand."

"My weapon was held in mid swing, and I could not move it. My attempts to move it is what enabled you to impale me upon your spear so easily and deeply, as I could not dodge the blow in time. My reports about your magical abilities do not indicate this is a skill of yours, so I assumed it to belong to someone else, or perhaps Allah intervened directly, but I find that unlikely."