1220.5 Going the Extra Miles (Alexei's Story)

Alexei shrugs. "Well either way, if we find this Jinn we'll find out who stopped your swing and save your family, plus get it off of my trail. What else do you require? We'll be getting a cart and horse. You can have armour or other weapons if you choose."

(OOC: where are you going, by the way? The letter indicated the Bonisagus would seek you out.)
"I just need my sword. I don't wear armor. I can use a spear, but don't care to do so, unless the tactics require it."

(I figured we'd be travelling, so no harm in getting the cart ready in case we need it, he's not one to put that off to the last minute)

"Just a sword? You fight well, but that sword won't stop arrows. You should wear something that offers protection, or allow one of my enchantments."

If I may digress for a moment...

About two or three weeks after Mufarjj arrives at Mons Electi (enough time for Fiona to get a feel for what kind of plants are growing in the regio) and Fiona has heard about it, she will approach the doctor and ask if she may see the patient. I'm assuming that (a) he speaks Latin and (b) he agrees.

She will also ask if the patient speaks Latin, and if not, if he would be willing to translate. Again, assuming agreement.

Before being taken to Mufarjj, she will cast Aura of Ennobled Presence (casting total is +25, well above the spell level of 10, so no roll necessary, I believe).

[color=blue]"Good afternoon, lad. My name is Fiona...I am a maga here, and am somewhat skilled in medicine and herbalism. I would like to help you get better...give me a few days, and I can brew a potion that can help you heal faster."

(ooc – after having reread the Mythic Herbalism rules, I realize that, since Alexei gave him the Ring of Healing +15, her potion would have no effect...but she doesn't know about the ring – or if she does, doesn't know how powerful it is – and would still try to brew the potion anyway.)

(ooc2 - or should this go in a separate thread?)

"If there are arrows, I take cover, or close the distance. Doing either while encumbered by armor is challenging. If there is a sniper, I'm just as much a target with armor. I would not object to you casting a spell. When I was in the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa, I had a spell cast on my clothes, I believe she called it Doublet of Impenetrable Silk. As he says that, his eyes develop a far off look. There were magi of your Order, even your House, on both sides of the battle.

I can't remember if someone had a spell that could heal a Medium wound or not. I think that's where Fiona could be useful, with her Root Cutter virtue, and Mufarjj would be healed by this point.

Alexei is becoming more impressed...and concerned at how much magic and lore the warrior knows. He quirks an eye at the mention of the battle. The dispute about muslem warriors and the magicians of their people was getting quite heated in his House, and he himself was undecided yet. "I know that spell, and could cast it on you if you like. I could also enchant a suit of fine chain to make it lighter and less cumbersome, and even stronger. If necessary I could even conjure such a suit out of thin air. To put it simply, you're proving more and more useful to me, I would not have you die before I find out all that you know."

Silviatos has (had?) Purification of the Festering Wound, which gives +9 to a Healing roll, with a Moon duration, as long as the subject's under the influence for the whole recovery interval.

Alexei has Chirurgeon's Healing Touch (curing light wounds, ritual - can you cure Light wounds if you still have Medium or worse?).

Onesiphorus The Invisible Medicus (which I'm not familiar with).

Neither Fiona nor Iosephus has any healing rituals, that I can find.

Oh, and btw - with the Root Cutter Virtue - does Fiona actually have to be part of the Healing Ritual (which would, I think, involve Wizard's Communion), or does the virtue simply let her provide magical herbs and plants which will replace some of the vis? The virtue description doesn't specifically say either way.

For the record, Alexei provided the ring because he couldn't use a powerful enough healing ritual until now at a Light Wound, and even if he did, he wouldn't use up the vis to cast it. Not against someone that tried to take him prisoner. Using the rign provides a near guaranteed (but lengthy) successful healing. If anyone wants to try to help with his healing that's fine, but at +15 magical already, any other healing is either not going to stack or be superfluous, he's already going to improve as long as he doesn't botch.

And how were you involved in that battle? :neutral_face:

(OOC: I swear I replied to this.)

"That would be agreeable. The spell. Again, I'm not interested in armor, unless it leaves me completely unencumbered, and even then I find it distasteful. It is a matter of reputation."

"Well here, try it on, tell me what you think." Alexei says and then grows quiet and still for a few moments before holding his left hand open and touching it with the end of his staff. The air shimmers over his empty hand and soon a glimmering suit of mail is held in his hand. "Another moment..." he adds as his eyebrows furrow in concentration and he touches it with his staff twice more. Nothing seems to change in the mail but after a few seconds his hand raises quickly a few inches involuntarily, as if the heavy mail suddenly became lighter.

"Try this on. It should fit, I took into acount your bulk and height. See how it feels." he offers the magical mail to Mufarrj.

[i]Silvery Scales of the Knight CrTe(An) 30 +26 +3
Hardness of Adamantine MuTe 25 +23 +3
Hauberk of Supreme Lightness PeTe 30 +23 +3

Alexei can cast every one of these on a Simple die and within the Aura +5 should have no chance of fatigue. The first conjures a regular full suit of mail (though at Mufarjj's height maybe it qualifies as a half suit), the second spell adds +3 to the Soak of it (total is now 14) and the 3rd spell reduces its Load to 2 (if he whines about that Alexei will forever call him a girly-man :laughing: )[/i]

He lifts it.
"It is not weightless. I prefer the spell that makes the clothing strong. Your Arts are impressive, but my requirements are even higher." His manor and conduct are similar to dealings you've had with Germanic and French nobles; they have requirements which must be met, and anything short of that is unsuitable.

Alexei raises an eyebrow in some annoyance and casts the mail away, it will disapear with the sun this evening. "Very well, if it is too heavy for you..." he says with a half smile as he reaches forward with his staff to touch him on the shoulder with his staff. "Perhaps the impenetrable silk will be more comfortable." he adds a little quieter as he focuses on his magic. "Though my spear might not have penetrated when the Jinn fled had you worn something like it."

He should be able to cast Doublet of Impenetrable Silk easily

"If you'd care to grab a wooden sword and find out my true skill, name the time and place. My sword was stopped in mid air, in mid swing, no less, by some agency I know not. Such an ocurrence left me prone to your attack. The Jinn's armor, in combination of my large size and reserves of strength saved my life. The armor was at least as strong as the hauberk you conjured. You should not underestimate his power." Such a battle with wooden swords or a lighter staff, not Alexei's talisman would be fought in such away that damage done would be removing fatigue.
"I'm not concerned with comfort, my decisions about what to wear for armor are built upon a lifetime of battle experience leading the army at my command. There were many times where I joined my men upon the field in nothing but a uniform and came out unscathed. I am not a quick man, and I need every advantage I have in battle." (Note he has the Overconfident flaw, but he does have a point that something did interfere between the battle between the two of them, which gave Alexei the upper hand. And both of them know it, and prior to that point each knows how close he was to capturing Alexei. And each knows that the other knows, it is easy to see in the body language between the two.)

((It ain't going to be a friendly relationship between the two, no doubt. More like The Odd Couple))

Alexei merely shrugs his shoulders. "We can perhaps talk of strategies and exploits at a later time. As well as have a sparring session or two." he says as he leads Mufarjj to the barracks. The tall and burly Grog Michelle La Rouge is attending to the gear there and stands to attention at Alexei's approach. More than once he was likely posted near where Mufarjj rested, just in case.

"Michelle. I have need of you on my left." Alexei says in German using a tactical term Alexei employs, indicating he's to act as his shield grog, two paces in front of and one pace to the left of Alexei. "We shall be protecting someone in the Order, when that one arrives you shall be his left. Mufarrj is accompanying us." Michelle spares a suspicious glance at him but says nothing. Looking at both he speaks again in German.

"This Magus will arrive sometime in the month, so we must be ready for his arrival and swiftly deploy. He shall be protected and treated well. It is our privilege to do so. Understood? Mufarrj, I am not commanding you, but this is the need I have for you. If you find it disagreeable, we'll discuss your further stay here. That is not a threat, merely a reality of your current condition."

After speaking with Mufarjj and examining his wound, Fiona will tell him that she will return in a few days with a potion to help his recovery, which will need to be taken every month until he's fully healed. She will also check on him every couple of days (probably with the doctor to translate).

She is going for an Ease Factor of 9 ("Add Mythic Herbalism Score x2 to Recovery Roll", or +6) on each potion.

Mid-March: Int 1 + Mythic Herbalism (Creating Potions) 4 + die roll of 9 = 14...made it easily.

Just to play it safe (as she knows that she has about a 50-50 chance of getting it right each time), she will start the next potion 21 days later, but give it to Mufarjj at the end of the 30 days.

Mid-April: 5 + die roll of 6 = 11.

Mid-May: 5 + die roll of 7 = 12.

Mid-June: 5 + die roll of 7 = 12. Which, I believe, gets us to where Alexie and Mufarjj are now.

Meanwhile, she will continue checking on him every couple of days, make sure his wound stays clean and doesn't get infected, bring him food ([color=blue]"Ye ever had haggis, lad?") and drink ([color=blue]"Ye don't drink alcohol? Not even whisky? Ye poor, poor lad.")

The conversations she has with him will be either about his condition, generalities, or himself...she will not volunteer much information about herself.

To Fiona:
"I only eat meat that has been blessed in the name of Allah. I do not drink, so that I may always remember my obligations, to Allah and otherwise." The only food he eats during recovery are vegetables and bread. "I thank you for your treatment." The treatment can begin mid-March. Heavy Wound takes a season to recover, followed by a month for a Medium wound, which is where I figure this is at. It's close enough that I'm going to SG fiat that he's at LW level, unless someone intervenes at this point. You notice that he only seems to have the ring on when Alexei or the doctor are in his presence.

To Alexei:
"I'm happy to assist. I have been in bed too long, and though I'm not fully healed I'm interested in being active.

After a few days Xander arrives. You had warned the perimeter guards to expect a Hermetic magus, but you had no description. When he arrives, you see a man who looks like...
bigspace.celerity.co.uk/moviedea ... zini-3.jpg

((Inconceivable!))

Alexei gathers Mufarrj and Michelle and heads out to where the magus has been reported. He would have brought horses, but they have none that are at ease with the Gift and he doubts that the magus has a Gentle Gift as Alexei does. He and Michelle are wearing the armour and tabard of Alexei's crest, emblazoned on the torso or breast with the hourglass mounted on a spear. Mufarrj is wearing whatever he chooses.

((Spells cast already on Alexei: Silvery Scales of the Knight, Hauberk of Supreme Lightness, Hardness of Adamantine
on Michelle: Hauberk of Supreme Lightness, Hardness of Adamantine, Doublet of Impenetrable Silk
On Mufarrj: Doublet of Impenetrable Silk))

Upon arriving he bows to the wizard and then approaches, planting a kiss on each cheek, while Michelle bows. "Salve Sodales. I am Alexei Von Kroitsau ex Flambeau of the Milites. I have received word of your arrival and it is my honor and privilege to offer you hospitality and protection as you require."