1220: A Brave New World

You guys started on a mountaintop that was poking out of the sea as an island. That's now just some random mountaintop (Well, not a random one, probably the tallest mountain on the island, but not associated with the temple). You then went underwater and went to the confluence of the ley lines and found the temple city that became the covenant. I think you also explored a bit more and found some of the city on the bay.

Andor speaks up "Yes, I'd be very interested in the old Monastery as well. Truth be told, I have little interest in making my home here in Atlantis proper, so it seemed a fortuitous find when I stumbled upon it a few seasons ago. However I am open to discussing the site's future if you'd like."

"So you'd like to leave the New Atlantis covenant and found your own on the island?" Magnus replies, a mixture of shock and understanding on his face. "I suppose that's not unreasonable. As we've said, we'll need more covenants on the island if we're to have any hope of calling ourselves a tribunal. It couldn't hurt to have someone experienced at the helm. And as much as I want to take a slow and steady approach, we have a Grand Tribunal is just eight years. We need to have four covenants up and running by then - that's us and three chapter houses that we can convert into covenants. And I don't expect the founding of our chapter houses to go as smoothly as ours did. We had the backing of numerous covenants across several tribunals. Our new chapter houses will just have us. And we'll need magi for those chapter houses as well. Finding them will take some work."

Andor smiles and nods. "Of course my friend! By your own admission, New Atlantis is hardly the only covenant we need. It would only make sense then that we expand as soon as possible, hence my suggestion. In fact in time we may need to consider raising more islands..." He pauses for a moment and chuckles. "But look at me getting ahead of myself. Obviously our first priority should be ensuring the covenant is self sustaining, but yes, expansion should be our top priority after that."

"More islands," Magnus says with a smile and a nod. "Yes, I've given that some thought. But first things first, let's get New Atlantis up and going. We've got wide open spaces just asking for colonists. Let's fill up what we have first before we expand."

"Thankfully we're doing fine with the covenant. Nearly a year and a half of constant building has gotten us well situated for structures, both here and at the docks. We have soil and crops to eat. We have roads now, which makes getting around the island much easier. We have a solid group of grogs, who are starting to get used to each other. The Latin lessons are helping a lot. Having them able to speak to each other is huge. We have enough vis sources to keep us going, though we could always use more. Right now we need people more than anything else. I've spoken to our steward and he says if there's anything that's causing trouble with the grogs it's the lack of a nearby town. There just aren't enough people to keep them entertained. No traveling minstrel shows passing through. No tavern to go to. No village festival. And it'll only get worse. We need new blood on the island."

[hr][/hr]
OOC: We need to name the chamberlain and the steward. Andern?

"I also think we should stick to the one for now. We can iterate later. We definitly should aim for self-sufficiency as much as we can."

"That's another reason we need more people - self-sufficiency," Magnus adds. "Right now we still need those shipments for survival. Realistically, we'll always need to trade for rare lab supplies and the like. But I'd feel safer if we could support ourselves a bit better. For one thing, I'd prefer some larger herds of sheep and cattle. Arviderax is going through our supply with shocking speed."

Meliai answers "I believe if we can decide the nature of each covenant in advance that will allow for some planning. Clearly I intend Artemis Grove to become a pagan settlement and religious community. I discovered the site, set the forest upon it, and plan to build both the aura and the forest through my own efforts. If we likewise decide what the monastery, and I must say I do not like that description a we have no way of knowing that the Atlanteans practiced any form of monasticism, site is to be like, then one or more magi may well cooperate on that. Indeed if any other magi were wanting to work with me to create a pagan society I would certainly welcome their participation. As to the next Tribunal, I would recommend that we apply to become a new Tribunal, but move to have the decision tabled until the next Grand Tribunal, as this will give other tribunals a chance to woo us for membership, give us a chance to build up for Tribunal status, and everyone else a chance to consider the impact and how they would wish to vote."

Magnus stands from his chair to respond to Meliai. As the others have come to learn, he sometimes likes to pace as he speaks.

"First let me say that I don't believe any of us have a special claim over any of the Auras we've discovered. Everybody has been doing valuable work toward making New Atlantis a success. There should be no punishment for lab work or reward for being able to explore. I believe that we all own the Auras in common and should allocate them fairly. Do I have a claim to the - well, if we're not going to call it the monastery, what can we call it? How about the Aerie? Do I have a claim to the Aerie just because Sophia found it? Can Andor claim it because he identified the Aura?" Magnus shakes his head. "No, this is not a first come, first served sort of operation. Just as vis we find should be owned in common, so too should Auras."

"That all having been said, I suspect that the Aura at the Artemis Grove is well suited to you, Meliai. Somehow I don't see you settling in one of the towns."

"But this leads us to a quandary, one we would have faced inevitably. We have a number of Auras available for patronage. One is level seven, two are level five, one is level four, two are level three, and one is level two. Someone will have to get the short end of the stick. Someone will get patronage of a level seven aura, while someone will get patronage of a level three aura. How should we decide? What would be a fair method to distributre patronage of the Auras?"

"As for the question of our status, are you suggesting that we bring it up before the Grand Tribunal in 1208 and request that they defer judgement for another thirty-three years? I very much doubt that would work. The Houses won't want that kind of uncertainty for that long. Or were you suggesting that we get the Order to defer the situation for another eight years until the next Grand Tribunal? That seems perfectly reasonable."

Andor nods as Magnus speaks. "I couldn't agree more my friend. However I am willing to make a concession. I propose that first pick of the sites goes to the Magus who is willing to spend the most time in direct support of the Covenant. While we should be proud of what we have accomplished in such a short time, there is still so much that needs to be done around here. After all, it would only make sense to reward such loyalty..." He pauses, glancing around the room before continuing. "As for our status, we will need to resolve this sooner rather than later. I'm afraid the cat is already out of the bag as it were. As such, it's only a matter of time before other Tribunals seek to force our hand. I suggest that we prepare to make our best case to the Grand Tribunal in a few years."

"I like that idea," Magnus replies. "I'm eager for something useful to be done with those sites, and it would be nice to know that they'd be given to the care of someone who was going to put some effort into them. But I'm concerned that puts those of us with apprentices at a disadvantage. After all, we can only spend three seasons a year in support of Atlantis. That fourth season must go to our apprentices. Although training the next generation of New Atlanteans is certainly a noble task."

"This also brings up another issue I'd wanted to raise, not a serious one, but one better handled sooner than later. It's about the name of the covenant. We've been calling it New Atlantis, but that's also what we're calling the island itself. Once we have additional covenants on the island, that's bound to get confusing. I was thinking we should rename our covenant before people get used to the name New Atlantis."

"What would you think of Cor Atlantis (Heart of Atlantis) as a name? I also thought Stella Insula (Island Star) or Domus Magis (Mages' Home) might also work. Do any of those appeal? Do the rest of you have other ideas?"

OOC: when is the next grand tribunal? 1208 has already passed, which would suggest the next grand tribunal is in 1241. That would give us 21 years to establish ourselves and for other tribunals to "pressure" us- hopefully more bribing than coercion (that may be why we have some of the resources we do).

Slip of the fingers. It's actually 1228.

Bribing and coercion are perfectly acceptable ways of getting votes.

"If we're measuring seasons of work teaching apprentices should count. Need those new magi. I'm partial to Divine auras and the Divine when it comes to religion. As long as we make sure they don't spill into the magical ones. Scaring off the infernal and all that. Regardless we'll want to impress upon settlers the value of religious tolerance. If you aren't infernal you're good."

"Unfortunately, the Church may not see it that way," Magnus replies. "They're not known for being particularly tolerant of heterodoxy within Christian doctrine, much less paganism. We'll be setting ourselves up for conflict with the Church, possibly even armed conflict." He sighs. "But our path is set. If there's to be conflict, so be it. But we should all go into this eyes open as to what it will mean to be accepting of pagans. It may mean war with Rome, and it may make us enemies in the Order. It could even potentially lose us our petition to become a tribunal."

Andor shakes his head. "Our path set? Hardly. Conflict with Rome over this is unacceptable. We can not afford to alienate a good majority of the Order and almost every major power in Europe over this, lest we find ourselves marched or a new crusade called just on principal. I have no issue with a forest of Pagans... provided they stay in that forest. However this Island will be Catholic, if for no other reason than to ensure good relations with the outside world." He pauses and looks around the room for a moment before continuing. "That's not to say that we can't have members of other faiths present, but the benefits of having the vast majority of our covenfolk as members of the church can not be overstated."

"Traditionally a covenant between two or more tribunals is allowed to choose which tribunal to join. If they refuse to allow us to be a new tribunal there will be many tribunals which will want to annex us. In addition to those along the Western Coast of Europe one could make the argument, being aware of the math that the world is round, that the Tribunals on the western front could make a nearly equal claim, laying claim as well to all the lands in between. No tribunal can be certain of coming out on top, and eight years is not much time to allow Hermetic opinions to settle. In addition there are tribunals currently separate which might easily be joined at some point- Provence and Normandy, for example, lie under the auspices of a single political entity. Thebes has been conquered by Rome in the secular sense, and to some degree by the religious authority as well. I understand Rome has tried to establish chapter houses in Thebes and has come into conflict with their tribunal. They might well be willing to support us having our own tribunal in exchange for us supporting Thebes coming under their domain."

"I expect we will occupy more than the one forest, may well grow further over time, but I will make this offer as well, any who give Pagans not merely tolerance but at least equality with the dominant faith of their communities, I will do the work to raise the auras of these communities to the level you desire. As to making the Island Catholic, I have no desire to compromise magical auras to provide political assurance to those who likely won't be able to reach us, especially if the Atlanteans are intercepting ships and are unaware of the animosity."

On the Religious choices...

"We already have a Christian priest among us so while the broader church might be an issue, the faith of those here can be maintained earnestly. Those of you who attended our first meeting know Father Augustus."
"It means we need to establish a site for a church too. Away from the magical auras but close enough that the island inhabitants will be able to travel there easily, and there will be those people who wish to stay close to the church rather than the old Atlantean temples. "
"Perhaps the other side of the bay from us?"
Ooc: location open to suggestions, needs to be close to the main population. Over time there might need to be smaller chapels around the place for each of the religions.

For the housing and buildings...

One of the changes I've made to Constantine is to add a spell which creates a building, which is a smaller version of CtMT. This would be a good basis for establishing the Chapter Houses, and can set them up quickly with accommodation .

On the Tribunal,

If the order forces us to pick then we should have a backup plan,like a pre-chosen tribunal that we could be linked to and the separate from later. Just saying in case it goes that way. LOch L seems to have very open attitude.

For the sites...

First come is frustrating as a player, as those who post less will get left behind or miss out. Shitty way to run that kind of choice and the game in general.

OOC:

I never said first come first serve, as I agree with you. Andor's suggestion was to reward those Magi who spent the next few years doing work for the Covenant as opposed to studying books. Though something to keep in mind folks, those Auras all pale in comparison to Atlantis proper.

As for buildings, awesome! We have Tremere 'Architects', finesse trained grogs, using Rego Craft magic to do a lot of our building. However I'll never say no to more help!

Agreed on the Tribunal. Not sure I agree on which one, but there's plenty of time for that.

Andern, I missed the spell your Magus is using to create buildings. Are they listed anywhere? (I'm reading on the damn phone again)