1221.0 Council Meeting

How long is the probation and what happens when it is ended. Are we all full members?

Alexei stayed quiet since he arrived, but with the talk of the only thing on his mind (the bandit turb of Grogs and Jormungand's reiterating of his role in the Covenant) a smug smile begins to creep across his face.

"I am glad that some recognition is being discussed. One...that the reputation of some in Atsingani is that of mere bandits and brigands. And two...a role that I cherish and took on without reservation is acknowledged. And I'm glad that I was not the first to bring these up.

"That said I can see opporunity and I am not unreasonable. There are matters that need to be settled, but I can be patient. What I will not be patient about is how the actions of the turb reflect on this Covenant, nor my House, or myself. I have not built a reputation of excellence in my magic and martial skill as well as honour to have any of it tarnished by another. So...Jacques, and others within Atsingani, we will come to an accord. I am willing to stand by my original vote, allowing you to join the Covenant as probationary members rather than vassals. I don't believe vassalage is very seemly for magi, so I disapprove of such a relationship. Your own feelings may differ of course.

"But whether you join as a probationary member with potential full membership or as a vassal...this banditry will stop. If I have to stop it myself...I will. And believe me...most sincerely...I can stop it, I have the method and the inclination."

He sighs again, reigning in his humours. "But it needn't come to that, I would rather it did not." he nods to Fiona as if to show he is indeed trying to reach a peaceful accord.

Com 2 + Guile 1 + 1d10.extra(10)=8 = 11 to keep a straight face instead of throwing a nasty glare at Alexei for drawing a hard line in the sand, verbally, which Jormungand was trying to avoid. No midnight handjob nightcap for you, tonight! thinks Jormungand. Even if it is my own dreams!

[color=blue]"The probationary period is seven seasons. At the end of that time, then you are elevated to the status of Full Members, unless we are given testimony that you are unfit to swear the Oath of Covenant in good conscience. And, mind, that if we do go the membership route, that it will be offered to each of you individually and not en masse."

Fiona has been watching the various exchanges quietly, yet attentively. She leans forward, however, as Alexei talks about the actions of the turb.

[color=blue]"Forgive my interruption, Alexei, but would you be so kind as to enlighten me? I can certainly see how the actions of the turb, with you as its general, would reflect upon you personally, and it would most definitely reflect, for good or ill, upon the name and reputation of the Covenant of Mons Electi. But I'm not seeing how the actions of the men of Mons Electi would tarnish the reputation of House Flambeau. Surely you're not suggesting that your house's reputation is so ephemeral as to be damaged by the actions of mortals at such a remove?"

"And our charter is lenient, with regards to probationary members. Truth be told, Jormungand, Korvin and Fieltarn are probationary members. They get voices and votes at the council table, and of course for amending the charter, so do not take the term 'probationary' to represent a diminished status."

Alexei looks over to Fiona as if distracted. "I'm sorry, what? Oh...I am a member of the Milites, a Miles. I am held to a standard by my peers within the Miles as well as many within my House and the Order which has come to rely on us for protection and stability. The House has spent decades rebuilding its tarnished reputation from the Schism War and the debacle with House Tytalus after it. The Milites has proven to be the most succesful thus far. The notion and rumour of a turb of bandit grogs under the baton of a Flambeau hearkens back to our lawless days and would do much to besmirch us. There are many who eagerly await for such a thing to happen in fact."

He clenches his fist around his staff. "And I personally find the notion of a magus with a bandit turb...intolerable."

"If the magi of Atsingani join us, then I suppose you will find your own company intolerable?

"I think, whether the magi of Atsingani join us or the covenant stays as our vassal, that the two of you have something to teach each other," Apollodorus indicates Alexei and Jacques. "So I'm going to ask that you initiate joint exercises between the turbs and work on integrating them for future missions requiring a large military contingent. And if I hear of any objection, from either of you, I think I'm going to have to insist. And the way that I will insist will by asking the council to decide the matter, and those two votes would be, that Alexei take our turb and work with Atsingani on our behalf, and that our request for service from Atsingani be to work with our turb on joint exercises. I can imagine that the votes to carry these motions exist." Apollodorus looks at the rest of the council. Note, he is not asking for an explicit vote, but everyone should get the hint that he would be... discommoded if anyone voices their dissent.

[OOC: I want to get qcipher going on his story, the particulars of Atsingani can be decided in this thread over time, and it makes no difference to me how exactly this plays out, as regardless all the Magi are going to have to work together on some level.]

Alexei shrugs. "I see nothing wrong with that, in fact I was going to insist on it. I've been wanting to increase our turb since I arrived. But they will gain new skills and a new reputation...one of excellence and service, one that I could proudly send to Castra Solis. This brigandage will stop. We can assemble in the field after the Sabbath. Speaking of Sabbath, it would be good for the turb to attend services. I suspect they have...much to confess."

Fiona leans back, with the faintest hint of a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. [color=blue]"I see."

Jacques waits for the discussion to play out between Alexei and the rest of the council.

"I will insist on a joint command. If we elect to accept you offer of membership, we can work out how it will work." He paces around the room for a moment then turns to Apollodorus. " What of our Seisins? It is too far to become part of Mons Electi's. It has been quite...good these last two years."

"Jacques, you can insist all you want, but there can be only one in charge. I can invoke the vassalage agreement, and make your service the submission of your turb to our authority. We would of course compensate you, per the agreement. If you want command of the turb, I suggest you leave Atsingani and join us. And then, when your turn to be Princeps is at hand, you have full command."

Not true. There can be many leaders within an army or even a turb. If you wish to see us in joint exercises then we will have joint commands. I will accept commands from my Senior Brother of Flambeau but I will have the right to refuse foolish commands. Until Alexei learns of our talents.

Alexei raises an eyebrow at this...but says nothing. It seems perhaps he can accept this.

"Yes, that is a chain of command. For now, as it will be his turn as Princeps of Mons Electi, Alexei is at the top of the chain of command. Do you understand? And as to refusing foolish commands, certainly. One would hope that Alexei can exercise leadership and delegate the tasks he needs done. And while he is learning of you, you must take the same opportunity. But realize, whether you are a member of Mons Electi or Atsingani, Alexei is your superior for this period of time. In the future, as we change leaders, those leaders may delegate responsibility for the turb to Alexei. If you want the freedom to lead as you see fit, you have one simple choice."

While Apollodorus challenge to Jacques hangs in the air, asking Jacques to make a choice he doesn't think he can.
"And, of course, your men will be paid, if the magi of Atsingani join us. When was the last time you paid your men? How often do they get hot food? How often do they have warm beds? A roof over their head? Yes, you might have that eventually at your new home at Paul-Henri's. But it will take seasons, if not years of work. You can have that here, now, and put all that effort into building your sanctum here. Where are your women and children? Your men are rough because they lead lives of desperation, not lives of purpose. And you live a life of desperation."

Fiona lets the silence hang over the council and its guests like a storm cloud for a few long moments.

[color=blue]"It seems, then, that a motion needs to be placed before the Council to invite the magi of Atsingani to join Mons Electi as Probationary Members, whether individually or en masse. Would anybody care to make such a motion?"

Fiona is determined to place the onus of the decision on the others. She has already made her preference known, and still believes that a vassal-liege relationship is best for the both, at least for a few years. But she is willing to yield to the will of the Council, and hopes that her vote is not the deciding one.

"I motion that the magi of Atsingani be invited to join Mons Electi as Probationary Members if they wish."

Alexei sits, scowling. He was truly conflicted about this. On the one hand he'd now have the large turb of grogs he'd been wanting the enitre time plus easy access to the Flambeau who had allowed Brione to be beaten. Plus vassalage just did not sit well with him. On the other hand adding this covenant to Mons Electi brough numerous challenges. When the motion was seconded he was relieved, at least he'd onl have to vote and not second it. Plus he would be Princeps when they joined...hmmm...

Fiona nods at Korvin, then looks at Jacques. [color=blue]"It seems that we have a motion before the council. If you would retire to the next room with your sodales of Atsingani while we take our vote."

Once Jacques has done so, she will then look at each of the magi in turn and ask their vote on the matter.

Alexei continues scowling until the other magi leave and then raises the spear head he recovered from the cushion of the chair. "I vote that they join the covenant as probationary members with the ability to become full members in time as the Charter allows." he says through gritted teeth, it's obvious it was difficult for him to say this.