1221.4 Hazy Shade of Winter

Next question, then, would be "How many wolf pelts do we have lying around?" Or are we going to have to swipe Wilhelm's vest? :smiley:

And I'm half tempted to invent a new version of the spell without the fershlugginer wolf-pelt Material Component, just because...even if it does mean wasting a season (or two).

((Isn't the pelt and other such props used to allow one to end the spell before the Duration runs out though? I always wondered what it was for until I read that Jerbiton in the Magi of Hermes who uses animal transformation spells all the time while exploring Africa. If that's what it does, I'd count that pretty useful, Harnessed magic is a Merit I hardly ever see.))

Alexei's scowl melts a bit at the kiss and the Grogs' temper also softens. He finally makes a sly smile; "So a kiss every time I pronounce 'Laetitia' correctly, is that how it works...Laetitia?" and holds up two fingers. Then he becomes a bit more serious.

"I hope as well though that pagan means will not be used to access this regio. I tend not to advertise this as much, but like my Founder, I am a Christian."

This is one of those spells that fits poorly into hermetic framework. Why? Because it can be ended at will by the recipient of the spell. Inventing other versions that don't require the pelt will not have the same benefit. Harnessing and tethering would be required, and are not available to any characters in this saga.

So it would have to have a set duration, say, Sun, like Taking the Raven's Wing does. Got it.

Alexei leans over to whisper into Brionne's ear with a mischievous smile on his face. Brionne's cheeks turn red and he takes off his hat, wringing it in his hands. He then whispers something to the large Michelle who smiles and quickly whispers to the other grogs.

"Uh...Mistress Lye-TEE-tee-ah?" asks Brionne shyly.

"Begging your pardon Maga Lye-TEE-tee-ah." Michelle asks with his rather deep voice.

"Mistress Lye-TEE-tee-ah?" asks one of the other warrior grogs and then is echoed by the other. At this veritable chorus of names, even the serving grogs mutter:

"Lye-TEE-tee-ah?" in some confusion as Alexei struggles to hold back his laughter.

((is Wilhelm included in the shenanigans?))

((To my knowledge no one knows that Wilhelm is a woman.))

((Alexei doesn't know Wilhelm is a woman, but the Grogs are basically 'da boys' so he went to them first, this is the first time he's travelled with Wilhelm so he might not have thought to include 'him' in the joke. Wilhelm can certainly join in though))

((Only one who knows/knew is/was Silviatos...I was just wondering if the 'boys' would have included in the whispered set-up for what they're doing to Laetitia. If not, no big deal...he sees himself as an outsider anyway))

Laetitia presses her lips together and glares at Alexei.

Since Wilhelm doesn't seem to be participating in the jackanapery, she'll pointedly take his hand and stomp off to find a rock. She babbles at him in Latin, and Glaukopis translates, "The maga will be returning to the covenant to fetch Mistress Fiona. If you could inform the... I'm not going to repeat what she called him, but please let Alexei know that she will be returning with Fiona, and-- ahem, yes, she would be quite pleased if you were to make sure Alexei's tent leaks tonight."

then she pops off to get Fiona, and begin the ride back.

Alexei hastily responds before the owl flies off. "But she seemed so generous with her kisses! Tell your mistress that Alexei apologizes for having some fun and allow him to make it up to her!"

"She was generous only with you," quips Glaukopis, before he follows Laetitia.

Wilhelm gets a definite deer-in-the-headlights look on his face when Laetitia grabs him and drags him off, and starts to protest [color=green]"But, Maga, I..." before she starts talking. He listens attentively, and answers with a simple [color=green]"Jawohl, Fräulein Maga." After she pops off, he looks at where she had been standing and breathes a quick sigh of relief before rejoining the others.

[color=green]"Erm..." he says, looking a tad uncomfortable, [color=green]"Maga Laetitia has returned to the covenant and will be returning with the Maga Fiona."

He will go into the woods and set his rabbit snares, trying to catch some dinner. Dex 2 + Survival 5 + die roll of 5 = 12 (15 if he gets his Ways of the Forest bonus).

That afternoon, if Laetitia has not yet returned with Fiona, he will start making camp and will offer to help any who want it.

I think I recall JL saying it was a five hour walk, which would make it roughly ~15 miles, so on horseback Laetitia and Fiona should make it back in about an hour.

Fiona has one pelt. I believe it is not far enough along in the curing that there is also another pelt from Wilhelm. So, at most two can be transformed. Who are the two? Let me just suggest that sending non-magi only might not be the best idea...

May I suggest Laetitia and Brione?

Why not Alexei and Laetitia for the two pelts, and see if Fiona can transform herself spontaneously without a pelt? (should be easier, and L wouldn't know that Fi's focus only applies to one and not the other)

[color=blue]"My Tradition is...not particularly suited for spontaneous spell-casting," Fiona says sheepishly. ((Weak Spontaneous Magic, which kinda sucks sometimes))

Brionne sheepishly steps forward and speaks in French. "M'lady Laetitia...I am so very sorry if I offended you. I'd...I'd be willing put on the pelt if that'd help..."

Laetitia waits for Glaukopis to translate, then says something in Welsh to her familiar. The owl turns to Brione and replies, in German, "You and the maga cannot communicate without use of a translator-- which could mean the difference between life and death, in a precarious situation. The maga means no slight against your capabilities, but she would prefer your master at her side."