1221.4 Hazy Shade of Winter

((I can't make any rolls right now, I'm at work))

Alexei takes a look at the space Latitia is working on and scans the surrounding area. "Brionne, poke around, see if you can sniff out any spells or active magic. Michelle, there's a door somewhere keep aware of it and be ready." Both grogs nod and get to work, familiar with the situation. Michelle directs the two grogs that are new to get into position. One by the servants and luggage and one near Latitia who is by a doorway only she can see.

"A regio I presume?" he asks Latitia.

I'm confused. The description of Second Sight is such that, as long as you can see the boundary, you can cross it and lead others through as well.

I guess she'll bring up The Discerning Eye and Impression of the Faded Sigil. I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

No. Page 189 says if you can see into the regio. The boundary appears to be closed. The Discerning Eye was cast forcelessly and doesn't penetrate the boundary (if you want to try and penetrate, do the roll and lay out the Casting Total). There doesn't appear to be any effect here that the Faded Sigil can identify.

There are sufficient clues within the thread to figure this out; you can feel free to read through the thread if you haven't already, since Willhelm detailed items to you.

Brione is able to sniff out the boundary, but not much else, especially with Laetitia casting spells in close proximity.

The Discerning Eye is for detecting illusions. Illusions, unless cast upon a being with MR, do not have any innate resistance, so Discerning Eye doesn't need to penetrate. I was looking for whether or not the thing she thought she saw with Second Sight was illusory. In which case she'd be able to discern any illusion up to 5th magnitude. That is also what the Faded Sigil was for, as confirmation.

I have no idea what Wilhelm would have told Laetitia, and reading back through the thread it's not really clear how much he saw of what went on. Just because as a player I have a pretty good metagame idea of how the regio needs to be entered, doesn't mean I have any reason to believe Laetitia has any such ideas.

A being, a thing. I'm posting in spare bits of time while pulling out flooring and demoing a partition wall between our kitchen and dining room. Since InvisibleCastle is up, doing rolls isn't hard, and you can give me a proper total for me to tell you more information. I need players to do more work, not less for the forseeable future.

You should have an idea, I'll leave it up to Peregrine as to what he saw and what he related, then. Again, on the principle of having the players do some of the work themselves. I had asked for volunteers to run this story out, didn't receive any, so everyone involved has to step up.

Ah. Reading back, it seems I said that he will tell the magi what he saw happen that night, but didn't actually. So, either while they're preparing for the trip or when they arrive at the Temple (which is about a five or six hour walk):

[color=green]"The magus Fieltarn asked us to accompany him as he looked into reports of wolf attacks on the residents here. We arrived at the cottage of Vincent, and I could hear wolves gathering in the distance. The magus said that there were other wolves closer. Spirit wolves, that were hunting for a boar that Fieltarn had already killed. Fieltarn said that he would try to get the wolves to accept his sacrifice in exchange for our safety. The wolves appeared around Helmut, who barely made it into the cottage. I was able to kill one of the wolves that was attacking him.

"Fieltarn threw some tusks in front of one of the wolves, who..consumed them, somehow. The magus then told us that the situation had been resolved, asked us to make sure that Helmut and Vincent's family was safe, and said that he would follow the wolves, warning us not to loose any more arrows. He then told me, specifically, not to leave the cottage until dawn.

"He had us leave a bundle of his clothes by...that post there," he continues, gesturing to the post that Fieltarn had specified.

[color=green]"I went into the cottage with the others, and sat by the window to watch. After a long while, Fieltarn turned into a wolf, and ran with the others into the ruins. We waited the better part of the next day, but he did not return, so we returned to Mons Electi. I have kept watch for him for several days before I decided that you should know."

((edit - replaced "Fieltarn threw some bone in front of one of the wolves, who ate them" with something closer to what Wilhelm saw, per PM from JL))

Laetitia prefers to cast that particular spell forcelessly so that areas of MR stand out. Unless I specify otherwise (in which case I'd give a penetration total) she always casts it forcelessly.

The boundary appears dark, as if has MR.

"Hmm. Are there any wolves about which need appeasing? Or perhaps only those with four legs may enter."

[color=green]"The only wolves I saw, appeared out of nowhere when Helmut ran for the cottage."

"Wilhelm." Alexei addresses the forester. "Where is the cottage in relation to where we are now?" he turns to Laetitia. "Do you speak German? If not, I will translate."

If they're at the ruined temple, Wilhelm will point to the cottage (which is close enough to the temple that he was able to see Fieltarn transform and run into the temple with the other wolf). If not, he will give a ballpark estimate.

((ooc - I've been assuming that Wilhelm is speaking German, with Laeticia's owl translating. The only other language he speaks is French at a 2.))

"I can't speak it, but I can more or less understand it." Yeah, I have also been assuming Glaukopis is translating for L telepathically :slight_smile:

((made an slight edit to Wilhelm's story))

Laetitia checks out the cottage.

[color=green]"Don't forget to knock before you enter, Maga," Wilhelm says as he sidles up next to her.

Are there any signs from the outside that the cottage is still occupied? Smoke from the chimney, the front porch being swept of snow, what have you?

Children playing in the snow, smoke coming from the chimney and a couple of men working to the side of the house are plainly visible from the ruined temple. It would appear that the wolves are no longer a problem.

Wilhelm will call out to the children, in French, [color=green]"Hello! Is Vincent around?"

((I wasn't sure how close everyone intended to get.))
It's plain to see that Vincent is one of the men working.