1221: One Thread Fits All

"Of course, yes my good man, of course. Just find an appropriate master for him and I will rescind my claim. I have already taught him for a season, so I am entitled to his aid in my lab for the next three... but if your negotiations with your sodales are successful, perhaps I can delay those seasons until the boy is older. And we can have those seasons non-consecutively, of course."

"Let us see how things turn out, then, and we will work out a mutually beneficial agreement all around."

"The wee girl? Aye she was a charmer. Wasn't disturbed by my Gift or size at'all. She did mention about ghosts, seemed rather knowledgeable, and her Da too. She even asked me if I was a ghost when she first saw me. But she said there weren't any dragons, just ghosts from a battle a long time ago I think."

Attravere raises a brow as Aulus seems to grow a bit bold with his bargaining. "I will speak with the magi of my covenant and together work out which to accept him. It would be best that he work off those seasons of assistance sooner so that he might be available to his new master when needed - afterall then the favor is a little greater."

"Of course. I'm certain we can all benefit from strengthened ties. Afterall, it would be a shame to waste your potent powers and political prowess on a pupil lacking penchant for them. If all goes well, perhaps the next apprentice you claim would be particularly adept at his master's chosen craft?" Attravere winks with the look that he is aware of some of Aulus' desires in an apprentice.

"Oh ho! My apologies, my good man. I simply thought I detected a sense of urgency in your desire to bring the boy back to your covenant. I would be happy to keep him now rather than utilise his abilities later-- but he does spend an awful lot of time crying in his bunk, so I thought he might be homesick. He may grow out of that somewhat, given some time, and if he is not away from home for more than a few months at a time."[/i]

"I find I prefer a more well-rounded approach to teaching, actually. If I take an apprentice who already knows what I could teach him, then what use am I to him? But if, on the other hand, I take an apprentice who excels in the areas I have not spent as much time in, but to whom I could teach him something of my own forte', then we may complement each other nicely all around."

"There is urgency, yes. I'd much prefer to remedy the potential situation before any hastily drawn emotions can settle in." Attravere sighs at the mention of Shmuel's cryig.
"Homesick? I'm sorry to hear that. I can speak with him about it, if you like." He offers.

Nodding in an approving fashion, "I am glad to have met you. My own pater, an excellent teacher, taught in much the same manner and while he had great depth of knowledge he knew that it was important to emphasize breadth in the young before they choose to specialize overmuch. If I am lucky I suspect he even learned a few things from me."

(Would it be uncouth to leave their covenant with a casting token so that he could return later - within the same day sort of thing?)

"Oh, it would be better not to give him false hope if it turns out that you cannot find a master to take him," demurs Aulus. "Also... it is likely that Blackthorn would be willing to throw its weight behind supporting your contested vis claims, were you to declare loyalty to their cause, and vote accordingly. They control enough votes that regardless of the strength or validity of your rivals' claims, Gallus Florensis will win."

You'd probably want to ask your hosts about it first.

Llamrei, the Divine horse, seems to have an affinity for gardening. She spends much of her time in the fields, aiding the covenfolk with their work, whenever she can't get people to help her read.

"Well, in the effort to take care of this matter sooner rather than later, would you allow me to leave Duos Flumen for a couple hours with the casting token?" Attravere inquires of Aulus.

"Certainly, my friend. Cheers."

Attravere will smile and nod his thanks, offer his hand in friendship and agreement on their discussion and go to his guest chamber. Once there he'll pick some small AC to the place and then return to Gallus Florensis.

He'll track down each of the Magi in the covenant to explain the situation.

"Shmuel is in Duos Flumen now, under the care of Aulus of Bonisagus. He has agreed to rescind his claim to the apprentice if one of us is willing to claim the boy, and for some effort on my part to convince those with able votes to side with Blackthorn against Voluntas at the coming Tribunal. While I refrained from any guarantees as I do not know your feelings with either covenant, Voluntas does have two claims against our Vis Sources and Aulus made mention that Blackthorn's considerable political structure might be willing to back our claims on contested Vis Sources for declarations of loyalty. I am willing to take Shmuel if no others will, but it would be a black mark against Shmuel within my house. Are you interested in taking an apprentice at this time? He has a scant 6 years more before he would be ready for gauntlet."

"Attravere, Sodales. I have discovered in my time that I a singularly atrocious educator when it comes to the youth. I don't have much of an urge for an apprentice, and furthermore if I took one it would be quite a terrible state for the apprentice. No, no. I'd simply not be a valid choice." Iapetus sighs deeply, turning to stare into the distance a moment, frowning. "I wish I could help," he finally says, a bit weakly.

Before Tribunal, Cygna will be non-committal, since she's been away long enough to not feel terribly comfortable with the situation. However, once she makes the deal with Iulia at Voluntas, she will argue for that deal, as Iulia seemed more approachable and seemed fairly certain of her influence with Libellas and Schola Pythagoranis. [color=red]"And from what I remember of Aulus, I doubt his ability to deliver on any promises of getting our vis sources restored to us."

[color=red]"Black mark how? And, unfortunately, by the time I would be able to learn the rest of my arts to a level where I would not cripple poor Shmuel, he would be old enough for his Gauntlet."

(in this saga, all members of House Mercere are blood descendants of the Founder. Also, a new master would not need to have 5's in all arts-- he's already had his arts opened.)

((so, if she were to take this kid, she wouldn't be giving him a Deficient whatever because of her score being less than 5?))

Attravere simply nods in acceptance of Cygna's statement regarding her vote. "Chin up. I am certain the ratification will pass tomorrow. You shouldn't worry about that; Adorjan's death was justice."

"Ah, well, you see all of my house who employ the arts are of the blood of Mercere the founder. For someone to be of our house, not of that bloodline and cast magic... well, he would be a bit of an outsider." Attravere may seem a little uncomfortable describing this. (Perhaps a Folk Ken of 6 would tell that, maybe on a 12 or higher one might also get that he isn't entirely okay with things being that way.)

Not by nature of opening his arts with insufficient knowledge, no. You can still pass on a Deficiency organically. (He doesn't have his full V/F complement yet.)

But his Arts are opened and he's spent the better part of 9 years puttering around unsupervised in the GF library... since before Josef and Liliana had to sell some of our books off; Shmuel could open an apprentice's arts himself.

((Per 0 + Folk Ken (Magi) 3 + die roll of 8 = 11. Barely missed out on the not being comfortable part.))

Let's see...we're in 1221, and he's got six years, so he'd be at Gauntlet in 1227. The same year as the next Gathering of 12 Years.

And, to be honest, I just don't feel Cygna's where she needs to be to take an apprentice until she gets some stuff resolved. I've thought about it, but it's not the right time.

(You guys write waaaaay too much and too fast for me :frowning: )

Hiems, too, is pretty embarrassed, although also quite happy to see cygna. He'll respond in kind, formally, politely, distantly.

(Well, I dunno exactly where he is, so I gotta improvise)

Hiems is both puzzled and embarrassed
Well, of course I live her.
voice toning down
I came here with you, after all.
Normal voice again
I'd like to relocate elsewhere, but not only does this take time, it seems there are... mundane complications, shall we say.

He'll be quite embarrassed about the velum thingie, especially as he knows it to be, indeed, problematic and costly.

That's because the Target is the Room, including its contents, and that's what you need to perceive. See the Corebook p113: "The spell affects everything within a chamber"
The same goes for T: Structure: if using a sleep ritual on a castle, sleeping beauty style, you don't need to actually perceive all its inhabitants, just the Structure (castle)

This was discussed recently regarding room-sized DEO
This is why Vision of the Haunting Spirits can summon ghosts you can't see: it targets a room and its contents, including any ghost in it. The same spell, with a target of Individual, would fail if you were unable to perceive the ghost (the individual)

For exemple, look at "Summoning the Distant Image": The range is Arc, because it is the range to the Target (room) (yeah, by the raw, the only valid connection should be to the room, not to a person into it). It could just as easily have been Vision, Voice or Touch (in which case, this'd have been quite similar to Prying eyes).
It allows you to see and hear everything that's inside the Target room, although you have no arcane connection to them!!! (Although, it they are silent, you'll hear nothing, and, as your vision is normal, you won't see them unless you have Second Sight or another InIm spell)

Not so easy.

The easiest way I can think to do that is, at best, to have it all inside a T: Circle.
Then, either you destroy the hay, or you use ReTe to move ALL the metal inside it.
I fail to see the "read mind" analogy.

For muto, this is interesting, and debatable.
First, you'd need to have it inside at least a Circle, most probably a Room or Structure. Which ain't easy, and means the spell is harder.
Then, could you muto it to Blue? Or would it become Invisible Blue? I'd tend to favor the second answer.

((If it's something that I think Hiems should respond to, or something involving Hiems directly, I try to slow it down and give you a chance to get caught up.))

((I think it's safe to say that, even if someone didn't know what was going on, anyone seeing Hiems and Cygna interact now could tell that there's a history there, and might hazard a guess that it did not end they way they would have liked.))

((My understanding,or assumption, of the timeline was that Hiems came with Cygna from Phoenix, Death and Taxes happened, Hiems left to be with Lisette, she was told that she was the new Lady hereabouts and showed up with her entourage (which I can see Hiems kind of hanging back in the group out of awkwardness) to set up residence in the Manor House, Sinmore and Gleep ate all the sheep, Hiems wrote a letter to Cygna about the coming Tribunal, Cygna (not knowing that Hiems was so close) wrote back, then we both got sent to the principal's office.))

Yup.
There's this mix of joy to see each other, and that whole "Oh sh*t! What will I do? What must I say?" thingie

((My understanding,or assumption, of the timeline was that Hiems came with Cygna from Phoenix, Death and Taxes happened, Hiems left to be with Lisette, she was told that she was the new Lady hereabouts and showed up with her entourage (which I can see Hiems kind of hanging back in the group out of awkwardness) to set up residence in the Manor House, Sinmore and Gleep ate all the sheep, Hiems wrote a letter to Cygna about the coming Tribunal, Cygna (not knowing that Hiems was so close) wrote back, then we both got sent to the principal's office.))
[/quote]
Ah, well. You probably get a better hang of this than me.
I thought hiems and cygna had settled somewhat, Death and Taxes happened, he wanted to go elsewhere but just got stuck here due to lisette setting up residence there.