1222.0 Council Thread

(Who are you calling an Gentile? Viscaria is an agnostic faerie-upbringing!)

...Yep, still not a Jew, so... still a Gentile.

Fiona did put a proposal out there, but no one's commented on it yet.

(i.e. "hmmm...how about: Fieltarn > Jacques > Onesiphorus > Fiona > Alexei > Korvin > Jormungand > Laetitia? And any future members, we can put them in somewhere as well.")

[I know, I just wanted it decided before this breaks off into odd tangents. After this, have at it at the council meeting.]

Assuming the little risqué repartee is in the council chamber or where the Council can hear it, Fiona will turn roughly the same colour as her hair.

I think Viscaria is sitting outside with Jacques.

(Let's say that it happened as Alexi opened the door to let Viscaria and Jacques in.)

Let's put this another way: Does anyone object to this order? Reply if you do not object. You have a week IRL to object to the ordering.

(Viscaria's stories will, I am guessing, take place over the entire year as she explores, ReTe's various structures, argues with Alexi about defensive strategies, tries to talk freeholders into letting her install basements under their houses, etc.)

Laetitia does not object, so long as there's a caveat that if she's called upon to perform any official Quaesitorial duties during the season she's scheduled, that she can defer it until afterwards if necessary.

I believe that's called "kicking it to the vice princeps's office" :smiley: I.e. the vice princeps is there to help out the Princeps where needed. And I think that, as a Quaesitor Laetitia has a duty to the Tribunal and Fiona would have no qualms with her fulfilling her House obligation when necessary. I.e. if Fiona were vice princeps for Laetitia, she'd be fine with it. After all, Fiona was trapped in the blizzard last year for a week or so when she was Princeps, so she has no room for complaint.

Alexei seemed rather pleased the entire time of the meeting. When there was a lull he proudly produced a scroll case bearing the seal of Murion and showed it to the assembled magi.

"My covenmates, it brings me great delight to share the fruits of my labours last summer. I was unexpectedly given the honour of acting as Hoplite for the Primus of House Bonisagus and her party. I shall not bore you with the details, but she has sent a truly noteworthy reward for my service." he unrolls the scroll and begins reading.

Please be advised that for your service to me during my visit to the Tribunal, that I have deigned to allow you or another member of Mons Electi to come to Durenmar for a period of time to not exceed two seasons, which must be taken consecutively, to copy books from our library. Any such books would be bound by Cow and Calf to the original author, be he Bonisagus or no. This is an invitation to study, but it does not waive any of the normal vis costs associated with studying at Durenmar. It does, however place you at the head of the line for the opportunity to come and you can be assured of the choicest selction of books from which to choose. This offer expires by Grand Tribunal.

He rolls it up proudly. "As much as I would love, and sincerely I would love to visit Durenmar, I think we shall get our greatest advantage by sending our best copyist. I would accompany that magus for their protection of course. I am decent at writing, but I feel we can easily improve on whatever meager skill I have at copying. This is a chance to bring back perhaps two famous books from Durenmar! Or even just one impressive book! I do have one question, perhaps this is a term used by House Bonisagus. What does bound by Cow and Calf mean? Perhaps it is some kind of protection system with arcane connections they put on their books?"

((See? Boastful...and Generous!))

"It means that you cannot make any copies of the text, but can use it only for direct study," Laetitia responds. "And-- good heavens. I can't even tell you what I'd give for a good text on Mentem or Imaginem. Or even Vim."

Alexei looks genuinely confused by the answer and returns to the letter to scan it. "I...I don't understand. She said in the first part of the letter we could copy it. Here:"

'...I have deigned to allow you or another member of Mons Electi to come to Durenmar for a period of time to not exceed two seasons, which must be taken consecutively, to copy books from our library.'

He reads the section aloud and then carefully points it out on the letter he has. "Why would she say we can copy the book and then say we could not? Did she make a mistake?"

[color=blue]"It means that, should we wish to sell or trade our copy of whatever books we copy," Fiona says, [color=blue]"that we would need the original author's permission."

Laetitia sighs melodramatically. "Allow me to reiterate: A book bound by Cow and Calf cannot be copied. The originals are not bound by those limitations; the copies we would make would be bound by Cow and Calf. This is to ensure that you cannot devalue the Durenmar library by turning around and making copies of your copies. Do you see now?"

I should've been more clear. My intent was to allow Mons Electi to copy books from Durenmar, but not allow those books to be copied from Mons Electi. So, Durenmar will handle the trouble of securing permission from the author (indeed, they already have it regardless of House, if the book is in their library).

You were clear. I think Alexei just likes to contrive reasons to keep Laetitia talking to him :slight_smile:

Alexei nods at both Fiona and Laetitia, he's in such a good mood he seems unaware of Laetitia's dramatic sigh. "My thanks, and that makes perfect sense to me. If we were to try and sell copies we make or allow others to copy them we'd need permission from the original writer. It's likely a foregone conclusion that the writer would either disaprove or be dead, so we can avoid wasting time asking for that permission. Well, this is still a most handsome offer, and one we shan't miss out on. I acquired this for us, but will ensure that we get excellent books. Who is our best copier? I believe it would be proper if I picked one book for us to copy, and a second book by covenant vote. If it seems we can only get a full copy by using both seasons...well, I'd say it should be one of my choice. But, I'm sure any Art I choose would be an excellent addition to our library!" he looks around the assembled magi. "What say you, does this sound fair?"

I've been known to be obtuse...

[color=blue]"As Jormungand said earlier," Fiona says with a smile at the Vor Si'r, [color=blue]"It seems that our library, while adequate for us, is somewhat lacking in material appropriate for apprentice or newly gauntleted magi. And, since I suspect that all of us either have or will soon be taking an apprentice, it might behoove us to take advantage of the opportunity to remedy this situation?

"However, I notice that the Prima says that this invitation does not waive the associated vis cost. How much vis are we likely to pay for the privilege?"