1222-1227 Defense Discussions

((I've got Fiona's bucket o'slops up for discussion on the main forum, with a mock-up here, if anyone wants to pile on.))

"I of course approve of outfitting the Grogs with better equipment and spells." he stops and his usual semi-serious face takes a down turn. "There is...a downside to that of course and some of you may know of it, but perhaps haven't truly seen the problem. My trusted shield grog Brionne. You've seen him...he didn't always look thus. He was actually quite handsome once. His talent at sniffing out spells, and the peculiar but pleasant nature of my Gift has unfortunately had a severe affect on him. We thus need to be somewhat careful in not applying it too often." he sighs and pours some more wine.

"For my part I can easily transcribe some of the easy spells into a charged item for ease of use and translat my lab text so we can have plenty of versions of those enchantments. It would be good to perhaps get some more of those items I got from a Verditius, they are enhanced, but not magically so, at any rate they do not get stopped by the Parma. As for the design of the walls...I hope my ideas of having clever ways to confound teleporters while enhancing our own is useful...but I wouldn't know the first thing of how to build them."

Viscaria smiles broadly. "These wall modifications are easily within my grasp, especially after all I have learned in preparation for the Tribunal.

"For myself, I think the greatest potential threat we need to defend against is the one we have already experienced -- when a core group of magi enter the covenant with specific goals. We should protect our library, vis and sources from pilfering or destruction. And prepare ourselves to deal with Hermetic assassination attempts. Alexei's turb should be able to handle an encroaching army just by virtue of training themselves to deal with all the other things that come up.

"Given the immense size of the regio and the number of doorways and boundaries throughout it, I should think that we needn't look so far as Stonehenge to create reliable back up and refugee zones. It should be possible to design such retreats right here within our own Regio.

"My concern with your wall idea, Isen, is that it is a large blanket-effect spell triggered by an enchantment. I would much rather have an Intellego device which monitors the condition of the wall, and then gives one of us the capability to do something about it, after further examination."

Sorry, yes, I got confused and thought Isen was speaking to Alexei :blush:
This is why I try to put Isen's name as often as possible when answering

Isen nods
Of course.
Maybe it can speed things up, or not. Do you know of some suitable place in Loch Leglean where we could basically establish what amounts to a secret chapterhouse?

Isen scowls
Aye. You are, of course, perfectly right. This is why I wanted the magi team to be invisible, and strike at a distance using misdirections, since they would be the ones tasked with facing magi. I hadn't thought about common soldiers, and I thank you for this reminder. Nonetheless, as they are warriors and Mons Electi is their home, I think they'll be willing to defend it anyway. So we'll have to find a way for them to warn us quickly, and for us to be as fast as possible where we are needed.

Isen is alarmed.

My god... I assumed they would have some shred of honor. But you are right. If they can cripple us, they will. Some circular wards can lessen the damage, but we'll need to do more.
I wonder... Could it be possible to invent and cast a modified version of the Shrouded Glen that would affect a Large room? This would allow us to protect our library and vis stores efficiently from such an intrusion.

Isen appears puzzled
And why is that a problem? You said yourself that you feared an attack similar to the last time. If doing so, they'll need to destroy our walls to enter Mons Electi. But we won't know where. We don't need to monitor the damage, for it'll be evident. We'll need to strike hard, and we don't know where.
Really, I fail to see how a "is this wall in good shape" enchantment would be of any utility if a band of magi destroyed part of it. Likewise with examination. Would it help us react? You're thinking like a builder, not like an assaulted warrior.
Would it slow them, or give them pause? No. Of course not. But now, if a magus cast a spell at a wall and have it crumbling, triggering both a massive conglagration that burns half his sodales and creates new, diamond walls he can't destroy, he'll go in more cautiously, or even retreat.

If I may, I have some notes in my lab describing various spells and enchantments we may add to our covenant. I'll submit them to you next time we convene

(OOC: enjoying this very much)

[color=blue]"Hand me a map of Scotland and a dart," Fiona grins. [color=blue]"But yes, the Highlands, the northern part of the land, tends to be more barren then the border lands. If we have to, I think we should be able to find a place to settle relatively easily."

Fiona raises a brow. [color=blue]"They sent three masked and hooded men into our covenant, killed Apollodorus with an assassin's blade, and fled when they faced opposition, and you thought that they still had honour?"

((Looking at the spell description for The Shrouded Glen, and it looks like the spell itself is what it sounds like you're looking for, although we could drop it to "Target: Structure" instead of Boundary if we want them to not be able to find the library once they're inside the manor house. We can drop the Duration to Moon, and thus make it not a Ritual and not need Vis, which would give it a spell level of 30. But, if I'm reading the spell description right, that would mean that only the caster is unaffected by the spell.))

I guess it depends whether we interpret the 2nd-to-last sentence as "Those who are present for the ritual are unaffected by the spell, since it's a ritual" or "Those who are present for the ritual are unaffected by the spell, since they were there when it got shrouded".

Yeah, rereading the sentence ("Those who are present for the ritual are unaffected by the spell."), I'm inclined to think that if you're there when the spell is cast, you don't have to make the roll to find it again. Main reason being that it says "are present" and not "participate" like it does for Aegis of the Hearth. Probably because, since you're there in the room when it's shrouded, you have an "anchor" and can find it again without any more problem than normal. The maga with No Direction Sense is still in for a bad time, though.

Isen smiles at the news

Perfect.
All that we need, then, is send a team of competent grogs there, with enough money to hire people and build us a chapterhouse in a secluded space. This will maybe never be used, but we will be happy to have it should we need it.

Isen laughs
You are so right. I must be becoming a proper flambeau, then, so all hope is not lost on me :smiley:

(Actually, this would hide the structure. I was more thinking of a Room version, with 1 magnitude for size, in order to have a "lost room". Yes, this is as hard as the actual structure, but makes more sense IMHO. And is cooler).

At the next reunion of what is becoming quickly the Defense Council, Isen brings with him a bunch of perchments detailling various effects and mystical considerations, which he spreads out on the table, using them to illustrates his points

As promised, here are my preliminary studies on the spells and enchantments we might do. This does not include Watching Wards, although we will need to think of them, probably on a separate council.

First, there are the items for the grog team that will be tasked with confusing and delaying an attacking force. From easier and more utile to harder and less needed:

• They should have a charged item casting on them a Veil of Invisibility, for maintained concentration duration. That's a fourth magnitude enchantment, and will ensure them some mesure of protection from ennemy casters. This will be the easiest part.
  • Another charged item to cast Doublet of Impenetrable Silk would be nice, but not nescessary. This is better for the "normal" turb, which will need the soak.
  • Then, an item to create fog. I was thinking of Wreath of Foul Smoke, at least 12 uses per day.
  • Another item to create visual illusions. This is easy: Base 1, +2 sight, + 2 sun, add one magnitude fer size, and we've got a second magnitude enchantment. I suggest also 12 uses per day.
  • On the subject of mundane, or not-so mundane items, I'd suggest Bone Daggers, and, if Viscaria can create some diamond heads through a ritual, crossbows.
  • I'd say it might be good for them to be mobile, to further avoid detection. I'd suggest Lesser items to teleport them. At least 12 uses per day. The farther, the better
  • Last but not least, what if, despite our precautions, someone targets them with a Mentem effect? I'd say we counter it. With a Perdo Vim enchantment, to destroy Mentem effects, with a restriction so that it doesn’t work against effects cast by us. And then, unlimited uses, with the effect being cast constantly when worn. This means, to dispell a 4th magnitude Mentem effect, a fourth magnitude enchantment. Well worth the cost, in my opinion. (Base 5, +1 touch to dispell up to Base + (4-1) magnitudes + 10 for unlimited uses = 20)

I also want to invent a Ring duration version of "Maintaining the Demanding Spell". Aside from the obvious uses, this would allow us to imprison elementals in circular wards that'd maintain the Command spell that kept them here. When needed, one would only need to cast his own command spell, and break the ring, to have an elemental under control. Breaking the ring could also be done by grogs, to unleash an uncontrolled elemental upon our foes.

Then, for the stone wall of Mons Electi:

• An Intellego Terram spell that ascertain the wall’s state. This is probably a third magnitude effect, brought to fifth by the need for a constant monitoring (Base 2, +1 touch, , magnitudes for size, unlimited uses => probably lvl 15 +10 unlimited uses). This will be linked to
  • A CrAq Ice spell, or a Creo Terram/Herbam/Corpus/Animal one, that creates a gigantic Ice/Diamond/Wood/Bone Wall around the covenant for Sun duration if part of the wall is destroyed. This is a huge enchantment, probably around 8th magnitude, for 1 use per day, but it should put an immediate stop to any non-airbone attempt to breach our defenses.

For the buildings proper, we will need to be able to perceive if we are spied upon, or, worse, targeted through an Intangible Tunnel style effect.
This means a Structure-sized Invisible Eye Revealed effect. Cast at Touch range, for Sun duration and a Structure target, this means 4 magnitudes over the standard hermetic spell. Thus, to detect second magnitudes effects, we'll need a 5th magnitude enchantment, brought to 6 for being constant (lvl 29 exactly). It would be better to be able to detect higher magnitudes scryings, though, meaning I'd like a 6 or 7th magnitude enchantment, brought to 7 (lvl 34) or 8 (lvl 39), to detect effects up to the fourth or sixth magnitude.
(The normal spell is + 2 mag, this is +6 => detect spells up to 2*(lvl-20) meaning a spell at lvl 25 detects up to lvl 10, a lvl 30 detects lvl 20, and a lvl 35 detects lvl 30).
Sadly, this won't allow us to perceive the effect, and we'll need an added enchantment to show us what the item detected. Either a Creo Imaginem effect, or a Muto Vim one. The imaginem solution, of course, would be way easier.

I also spoke of the need to reach most covenfolk discreetly, without any ennemy magus being able to eavesdrop. This can be done as a spell or as an enchantment, probably a charged item.
All we need is a Creo Mentem effect (base 3), cast at touch range (+1) for, say, Sun duration (+2), and using the whole Structure of the manor as a medium (+3), meaning a final enchantment of 5th magnitude, with absolutely no penetration^^. Not that hard.

If evacuating to Scotland, we'll need a Leap of Homecoming style effect. I've come to think that the easiest way would be a Structure sised effect, but this still means a 11th magnitude enchantment (base 35, +1 touch, +3 structure. And they all arrive naked), with is no small feat, although it could be done as a charged item. Of course, it would leave all magi behind, which is not a good thing for those unable to flee.
The other solution, which has the advantage of auspicious shape bonuses, means a gate, through which people may step, allowing a magus to supress his parma. Assuming it translocates groups of covenfolks, this is only slightly easier (lvl 50), although we would need multiple charges.

I realize that these are important undertakings, requiring some commitment from all of us. Yet, this is not much when you consider the forces arrayed against us, and it may save our lives, or those of our covenfolks.

Peanut gallery comment: rather than charged items for Doublet of Impenetrable Silk, it would be only a level-25 enchantment to create an item that can bestow DoIS with unlimited uses. They could keep it in the barracks....

Note that some of these enchantments make the new magi attractive :smiley:

He'd also like a CrAu effect to ward of flying ennemies, now that I think of it.

All theses are very good for the long term but what can we do right now that will alert the Covenant if we are under attack? Perhaps a lined set of bells or alarms.

Isen smiles laughingly
Aye. This is cheap, and efficient enough.

This has been simmering for a month... Who's doing what and how are you going to integrate it into your 4-5 year plan?

It should be clear now, given the timing of Isen's story when and how Valerian makes his move. At least outside the realm of the Tribunal...

As Corvin noted, most of Isen's plans are even more long-term.
He had counted on having spend time in the magic realm by tribunal, which would have allowed at least some traps and costly one-use "items" through Watching Ward, as well as casting the more powerful Aegis, but, sadly, events and more pressing priorities kept conspiring against this, utterly foiling his plans.

So, for now, our magical defenses are mostly non-existent.
He feels guilty and shameful about this, since this is his domain.
He'll have to make do with spontaneous magic (yes, I have the embryo of a small backup plan to compensate partly). But mostly, we'll have to rely on mundane thingies.

That is:

• Have the wall in the regio be rebuild. This means little, but will both slow them down and serve as an alarm. Although this is not very useful for now, so if anyone opposes this, he'll yield
  • Have a set of bells put at the edges of the covenant. The bells having clearly different rings. The idea being that, by sounding a bell, one can clearly identify from which side comes the attack.
  • He'll insist that every magus able to teleport and willing to fight carries with him small pieces of rock which are arcane connections to various points of the covenant. These will be painted. The idea being that the paint serves to quickly select the AC to the place you want to go, allowing us to answer quickly to any threat, and translocate easily through Mons Electi, even to places unseen.
  • Send a small team of grog in scotland, with enough money to acquire land and build a fallback place. He'll have an AC to each of them, and later take an AC to the place, visiting them regularly if possible to ensure that everything's okay (not spending much time, just popping in, ensuring that there isn't a big problem, popping out)
  • If our finances permit it, he'll try to push for the Monjoie Company (from Grogs p41) or a team of Almogavars, and have these placed under the leadership of Alexei for the tribunal. He wouldn't be able to command them effectively, but is sure that Alexei will, and that these men, with their hermetic experience, will provide a much needed added security.

Tranquillina can teleport, and she will certainly agree to carry the collection of AC rocks. (That is, once she realizes she's gotten herself into a potential war zone here. :wink: ) She's not particularly capable in a fight, but she could probably make a pretty good scout at the very least.
She will also be willing to assist the expedition to Scotland, her native land, to procure a fallback place. There's a lot of deserted land there, so it shouldn't be too much trouble.

so rebuilding the wall will happen with the extra stones from the Tribunal building.
How soon can we have the improved AoH up?
I was thinking of a magical bell(s) so that once it was rung in some place then a larger, central alarm would sound. but just having an alarm and people trained to do something when it sounds will be a good start.

sketching it out. Not as easy as I had hoped:
ReTe base 4 ( base 2 x2 for metal) D: Diameter +1 R: AC +4 T: Part +1
3 uses per day +2
Trigger +3 When smaller bells are rung.
Material metal 4 size small x2

Total is 43 for each small bell.

• It's the SG's call as to how much time Viscaria can spend using ReTe Craft magic to add secret passageways and archery nooks. Also, until the other shoe drops, it is unclear how effective she'll be at this.[1]

• She enchants the Quarryman's Rings as part of Tribunal effort in 1223, establishing a 4-man quarry team [2], and the quantity of stone they produce and much is needed for each project is subject to SG's call.

• Directing Melanie to split her time between her cursor exercises and actually being useful to the covenant by using her Area Lore to design and establish escape routes which take advantage of the many boundaries and what not, and then directing the military grogs to set up periodic defenses and weapons caches on these routes: probably requires some die rolls from someone.

• Creating Illusory walls, floors, magically and mundanely concealed pit drops, etc. Again, it's a question of how much time this takes, and, not to put too fine a point on it, what lab texts we have available. Depending on what the lab texts from Confluensis look like, Viscaria will have anywhere from 1-4 seasons that she can dedicate to actively working on defenses like this.[1]

• Drilling the grogs with these new procedures and intentions in mind? Happens as part of their general experience gathering.

Beyond that, we're still deciding on spell and enchantment formats, and who would be responsible for them. Vis

[1] You are explicitly asking me for answers which I cannot give you until you answer questions I have asked you. Some of these are in-character revelations, like "what are the results of Mother's Footsteps," but some aren't. ESPECIALLY with the discussion about changing lab text rules, the difference between what Viscaria can do in 1222 and 1227 is huge, and it isn't clear when she gets any of that.

[2] Actually, depending on our rulings about Talismans and Lab Texts, this might be a 3-man team, with Viscaria pocketing one set of the spells to become her Talisman later.

It all hinges on Isen being able to cast it... Which apparently in turn hinges on fiona

Isen has a partial solution to this.

As part of his backup plans, he came upon this spell:

Circular Ring of Enduring Concentration ReVi 20
ReVi general (Sustain a spell you have cast whose lvl is less than (lvl +2 magnitudes of this spell)
R: +1 touch, D: +2 ring, T: +0 Ind
As "Maintaining the Demanding spell", but with Ring duration. This maintains a Concentration spell of lvl 15 or less, if the caster was inside the ring at the time of casting (note that the Target is the spell maintained, not the caster), the spell is centered on the ring, and the spell is static (which would make it "leave" the ring), so long as the ring is intact.

This isn't very flexible, due to the Ring limitations, but it nonetheless allows us to create static illusions, lights, fires... and have them maintained. Due to the risk of botching, though, Isen will not be very keen to do this a lot.

Why not just make ring/circle CrIm illusions?