1222-1227 OOC

I like it! Thanks amul. I'll edit the letter post.

This brings us back to an important issue, what's going on with Apollodorus's sanctum? As soon as the covenant has someone who knows Greek, some things can be done... It is entirely reasonable for Henri to receive letters and put them in Apollodorus's sanctum, assuming a magus will come along later and take care of things.

:open_mouth:
The very first sentence says that it protects a covenant like the Parma protects a magus.

That, in itself, is at least as solid as a sentence near the end of the text saying that it doesn't have a Perdo requisite, especially as it never says that the Aegis cancels or suppresses spells that were cast before they entered the Aegis: it blocks them, which is quite a different term, and which is exactly what the Parma does (blocking magic).

After that first sentence, it then goes on to say how the Aegis differs from Parma, which is a normal way of proceeding: You first enunciate the general rule, and then the differences/exceptions.
You talk about the intellego spells? Well, it says "The Aegis is also able to block foreign Intellego spells, even if they cannot normally be blocked by a Parma Magica".
Why compare with Parma on this, a point where they differ, if the Aegis does not act like Parma otherwise? This is like saying "Parma blocks spells, but can't block some Intellego spells. The Aegis, being better, can block even these".

With all due respect, saying that is akin to saying "if the general rule is not repeated each time you list specific differences to it, you must assume that the exception differs in every point from the general rule, not just the points listed".

I'm sorry, but it is easier to say "B is like A, but also does x and y, which A can't do", that list again all that A can do, and then add x and y.

The fact that "the aegis protects a covenant like the parma protects a magus (...) (but/and, whatever) is also able to block foreign Intellego spells, even if they cannot normally be blocked by a Parma" absolutely does not imply that the Aegis does not act like Parma otherwise. On the contrary, since Parma, here, is the reference to which the Aegis is compared. Note, again, the use of the term "blocking", both for the Parma and the Aegis, which implies the same type of action.

You may rule however you want. I can even understand how people could believe that the Aegis dispels the Parma (like Arya did) or suppresses it.
But saying that it is clear that it doesn't work like Parma? Please.

Aegis of the Hearth does different things than Parma Magica. Granted, the very first sentence says it is like it, and then it goes on to differentiate all the things it does differently than Parma Magica
Parma has no mechanic for reducing a casting total.
Parma can block Intellego spells which cannot be blocked by Parma (this is pretty powerful).
Snuffing out spells as they are being cast is the realm of PeVi more than it is the Realm of ReVi.

What is this discussion about? It seems you want to argue with me to see your point of view. You want someone with a flight effect on them to be unable to enter an Aegis, period, unless the effect can penetrate the Aegis. I want people to know that an Aegis is coming, have time to act, and decide if it is in their interests to keep going into the Aegis? Which one tells better stories and seems more Mythic? With yours, I get this cartoon image of someone hitting a brick wall repeatedly unable to get in and having to wait until the effect expires. I also see some room for shenanigans in the vein of pink dot with your proposal.

Luckily, Henri both speaks and reads Greek (score of four). Yeah, it is ever so slightly meta-gamish, but seeing as how he was being taught/tutored by two people who did (I can't see Reynault not speaking and reading it, seeing as how he was Apollodorus's "major domo", and Apollodorus did speak and read Greek, I couldn't see them not making sure that Henri was proficient in Greek, as well.

Oh, Gerg, Gaston totally needs to check out the sideplot I started last night.

Well, he could get through some things... not much, though...because Apollodorus's writing is in Classical Greek/Ancient Greek. The translation (according to Sundered Eagle) subtracts 2 from the score... I think I had mentioned this earlier with Jebrick that when I say Greek, I mean Ancient Greek...

As the apprentice to Apollodorus's major domo, would he have been taught Ancient Greek as opposed to modern Greek? The reason I gave him Greek was to be a resource for the magi in those cases where they either need to read Apollodorus's stuff or other Greek writings they come across, or to teach them how to read it themselves.

He'd learn Greek, he'd be useful to send back to Theban tribunal, but neither Renault or Apollodorus would need him to get into Ancient Greek...and there would always have been time to cover that later.
He can still be useful, he can probably give a rough idea what something might be about, but as far as being useful to magi in that way, no.

So, Korvin is doing it 1224.3, and I'm trying to talk people into taking over the Korvin's Princeps duties in 1225.1 instead of me.

He's there! Or will be, given half an excuse. Wait - Gaston needs to practice his axe every once in a while.... (goes to post)

As things stand now, yes. I'd prefer to re-write the governmental structure, but the only character I play who would make a strong argument for it would be my familiar.

Au contraire. The only real impact Code of Hermes has on the covenant is being able to identify violations of the Code or Peripheral Code in the context of the covenant. Typically, covenants can determine their own method of governance...

That's not a "what skills do they have" thing, it is a personality thing. Viscaria tends not to think beyond her own lab and personal safety. Thera is the one who wants all the pieces around her to line up right.

Still... Viscaria can determine what works best for her... And not being a Princep in charge of all day-to-day stuff is a big deal. :smiley:

I will update the Mage planner to reflect this but we need someone to take Precept in 1225.1 if Korvin is going to do this.

I do question why it must be done in 1224.3 and can't possibly wait until 1225.1.

And I now know what it feels like to almost die laughing.

:laughing: Glad I could be of service!

I'm currently taking Precept in 1225.1, and take responsibility for finding a pasty to put in the role.

As for 1224.3 / 1225.1, it was you that offered to do it earlier. I just asked that it get done. I am fine with you doing it in 1225.1, or with Jacques doing it 1225.2

Is it weird that I am squicked by the apprentices making out as too young?