1222-1227 OOC

Korvin's one request is a lab text for Leap of Home Comming. If not I'll have Alexei teach it to Korvin as a price for the LR

I was just going to say, don't bother taking time on that, Alexei can write up a copy or teach it.

[color=blue]"Allow me to pursue a couple other avenues first. It need not be Ball of Abysmal Flame, specifically. But events of the past couple of years made me aware that my skills are sorely lacking when it comes to defending myself and my covenant."

She will then check with Jacques and Isen (and, ooc, I have no idea how we can have a covenant with three Flambeaux and none of them know BoAF. :unamused:), and then maybe Marcus. (and this would be probably in '23, not '25)

snort

I think someone is stereotyping Flamebeau. The are quite a diverse House.

It's 9 / 18 / 180, if you take Viscaria's Ordinary Mirror.

Viscaria's list of spell's she'd like are posted. Particularly the Efficient System of Composting ReCo(An)(He) 60, which she can't make without the lab text and which would probably cost a fortune (or, I suppose, we could just go for a PeCo(An)(He) 30 version).

In a height of anal retentiveness to match Peregrine's, I have added a 2nd sheet named Arts/Arcane Skills, which compares the wiki-listed stats of the magi versus our book collection. If a magi cannot learn from the summa in stock, then their level is red.

We seem to need better summae on Creo and Magic Theory.

It's going to be tough to get a better summa on Magic Theory.

Consider that the rules for writing apply the same to Arts as for Abilities.
That means a summa Level 6 was written by someone with an MT of 12. This is the reason why Ra'am believes Gilderoy Lockhart is a fraud, if they are roughly contemporaries, there's almost no way his MT is going to be higher than Ra'am's at the time in 1213. 1213, Ra'am had an Ability score of 8, the only reason it was so high is that he didn't have to spend all those XPs in Latin, because he earned those from his Magister in Artibus...
Even in 1226, Ra'am is just now getting to the point where he could write a Summa 6. So, IMO, you're not going to find one much better than that at Durenmar...

We also have 3 good (Q14) tractis on MT

So we need to trade for Magic Theory Tractii.

I just did some book-writing math. Assuming that Theraphosa can enjoy the benefits of Viscaria's lab while she's not using it, Theraphosa can write an Order of Hermes Lore L2Q12 in a season, and with resonances could get that to Q15. If she pumps her OoHL to 6, then she could write an L3Q12 book, and then get it up to Q15 with resonances.

Her Tractus-writing levels are not so impressive. Maybe she'll spend some of her seasons writing books...

Tractatus...

And how does Theraposa write? I initially ignored this with the whole letter to the Presiding Quaesitor of the Tribunal thing, but now we're starting to get into an area that is... troubling.

Really big and blotchy, I assume. She has the Limited Gestures Minor Magical Inferiority (RoP:M 42). I imagine it as pincer like digits on the end of her legs.

I think that when I first had her writing letters, I was imagining her dictating to the Scribe, since no one seemed to be using him.

Perhaps we'll wait until she gets an enchantment that lets her turn human?

Why does she write? What does she get out of it?

I'm still trying to get a feel for how she transitions from being a cave-siren-spider to being a familiar. She spends the first 6 years of her new life voraciously reading to take on the duties she's agreed to (MT, Code of Hermes, Philosophiae(natural). She'll be spending the next 5 years helping in the lab 3-4 seasons/year. So, I'm trying to figure out what she does with her down time.

Wanting to reach out into the world she's discovered seems natural. As a spider, she'll want to see the webs of power and intrigue, and then dance along them. Writing primers on OoHLore and CoH "from an outsiders perspective" is a good way to step into the arena.

(Plus, I thought it'd be nifty if she were to write books on cloth spun from her brood's silk, using ink distilled from their venom.)

Having her correspond with the familiar of another magi about how the Code applies to familiars was going to be an extension of her desire to understand her place in the new world.

I'd like her to get involved with the political machinations of the larger order, especially since Appolodorus was so well-connected. Her intrigue is only at 3(plotting), and her Loathesome Appearance means she'll want to work through catspaws and letters. Maybe she corresponds with Andru's familiar? Ariel's? Neither actually seemed to have one.

Basically, I'm trying to find interesting things to do with her, lest I have to re-write her flaws and just leave her in the foyer, playing violins all the time.

EDIT: Hrm....she has Free Expression, maybe she'll write those summa disguised as Wagnerian operas!

Rereading the letter Alexei got, it says "a period of time to not exceed two seasons, which must be taken consecutively, to copy books from our library." So I'm not sure we'll be able to get away with copying spell texts like I thought. So, we're back to trying to barter for or invent the spells we need/want. For example, a better Aegis, maybe 7 League Stride or Leap of the Homecoming, or whatever.

cough

We already have better AoH that came from Apollodorus.. Seven league stride is already in our spell lists and Alexei has agreed to make a lab text of Leap of Homecoming.

I would recommend a Summa on Parma Magica

Yes, it's all a tactic.

We are warriors first and foremost, so we seek to surprise our ennemy. He expects the one-trick fire pony, and gets hit by Alexei's mundane attacks, Isen ice spells and Jacques arrows.
So he diversifies, and this is when he stumbles against the FireGuy and gets toast :smiley:

Great!
Isen is keen on learning Leap of Homecoming :smiley:

Peregrine suggested this in Fiona's story, so I thought I'd take an opportunity to revisit that here.
Make some companions and play some companions and/or grogs in some of the other stories going on.

Fiona
If last time was any indication, Peregrine's story probably has the most potential for conflict, so combat grogs and companions are especially well suited to this environment. If a combat oriented magus wants to go along, it's going to take some convincing. Also note, that going into this regio has a time dilation effect, so it will impact seasonal activities.

Viscaria
She's got Vin, but who else is going along, besides those mentioned already. This is about the only Fairie story I plan on running...ever, in this saga.

Korvin
This one's up in the air, pending the player...

Isen
Isen suggested springing a trap, so someone helpful in that regard might be a good play...

Alexei
Both are plagued by the same supernatural entity, one got caught, and the other is going after him. This entity, as created by qcipher is from the Levant. Mufarjj was last seen taken by a great whirlwind which took him in that general direction. Again, this is likely to be a long story disruping seasonal advancement plans.

Isen would gladly visit the realm of magic (he's curious), but, well, he'll be mostly brooding, as always (ie don't know how much I can participate, so will be silent)

Moved this over here. See above, about my post about combat. While Isen is a worthy combatant, your character is also going to be quite busy with Tria... Not that you can't do both, but I ask you to really weigh where you can focus your attention...