1222-1227 OOC

fiona would not be able to give the token. Another Magi would have to sign off on it. Normally Korvin or Alexei or Isen I would think.

Of course it could be done for the game but this is the exact situation that the rule was made :slight_smile:

Don't see any dates on that discussion, and Isen suggested much the same, when I responded that this visit was the impetus for the change...

No. It was changed because Laetitia gave a token to Valerian. You can have wave it for the story. Just say she seduces Korvin as well.

That was a reason it could be changed, but nothing there indicated that there was a concurrence of the magi to implement such a change. I'm not waving it, I'm just asking the troupe to be very clear on what the restrictions are, and then follow those restrictions themselves. For example, at the beginning of the story, when Praxiteles arrived, Fiona gave him a token, and she gave Petronius a token. So, I think fairly, Fiona isn't clear on what the procedure is, and she's made comments in the Defense Discussion thread.

Yes, that thread could be over a number of years, and like I said this could be an impetus to actually make the change. Then again, some magi might see this as too much of an imposition and never agree... And then what. Depriving a magus and his power and all that.

While Alexei was talking, Isen had entered the war room quietly, and sat on "his" chair, as usual, listening to Alexei without interrupting him.

When his sodales is done

There's also that little bit you're not aware of. While you were all occupied, Tria, the Tenens for this tribunal, came to me. She was being followed, and feared for her life. Not knowing if her pursuer was mundane or not, nor his means, we endeavoured to set up a trap. It almost backfired on us when Valerian collapsed a cave on us. Without a declaration of wizard's war, of course. He seemed quite proud of himself, cackling and all.
If I add that to what happened to you, roberto, I'd say he's getting bolder.

Again...timing. 1227.4 comes after 1227.2 and these events have not yet transpired.

Moved the two preceding posts over here from Enter the Kangaroo, because they aren't applicable to anything going on in that thread.

Correction: Tranquillina provided the token to Praxiteles, and Fiona later provided a token to Petronius.
So we can handwave whatever... If Gerg and Peregrine want to handwave that they had gone through the motions of getting permission of another magus to retrieve the tokens, they can. Of course, I need a clearer idea of how they were secured. And I will have Marcus point out in the Defense Discussion thread how you now no longer trust your own members. Laetitia was a special case, and not something that could have been predicted. It's pretty simple now not to allow any Guernicus members join. Or something. :smiley:

The objection isn't to what the players want to do; the objection is that it didn't appear to be settled, and it didn't appear to be observed by other players characters. Like I said previously. This entire story could now be the impetus for things to change, and now there needs to be two keys to unlock the cabinet with the tokens. Just means I need to subvert two magi instead of one. :laughing:

I'm happy with this story being part of the impetus for tightening up the token rules, and then making those rules explicit and following them. In this particular case, I gather that Viscaria had spread the word beforehand that a magus named Praxiteles would be coming to Mons Electi on business; that probably made her feel comfortable in bringing him a token on her own initiative.

Wait until you are in 4 threads over a year. Perhaps 2 in the same season for two different events :stuck_out_tongue:

This saga has me keeping a log for Korvin so i can try to keep track of what I know when. I suggest it to start. I have too many characters now to track them all this way so only Korvin gets that privilege.

What idiot came up with this format?

To be honest, I had forgotten that we had discussed, agreed to, whatever, having another magus "sign off" on giving out Aegis tokens. But on the other hand, even if that had already been agreed to, it would be in Fiona's character to secrete a casting token or two on her person during the casting of the Aegis, simply so that she doesn't have to let people know who she's giving a Token to and why. It's not that she's up to no good or has nefarious plans, it's just that she's Secretive and she doesn't think it's any of their business what she's doing.

She doesn't much like talking about herself, she doesn't let anyone into her house (I think the only people who have made it past her foyer are Sheelagh, Jormungandr, and Alips, and the last two she had what you might call ulterior motives for it :wink: ), and she only lets people know her plans if there's a need to. Case in point: she had been sending out letters all over the Order about her Giant Summit and getting it organized basically since the last Tribunal, and only told Alexei a couple of months before it was to take place so he wouldn't panic when a bunch of magi twice his size showed up out of nowhere.

So, basically, even if it was the "new policy" already in force, Fiona would still do it anyway, just because.

Couple questions about studying from books - one general, one Mons Electi-specific.

• Can a character read from two different books in a single season, getting fractional experience from each in proportion to the time spent? Like say, 2 months on one summa and 1 month on another? See "Distractions" (ArM5 page 165).
  • In our description of Xenophon's summa Control, it says "An attached note cautions the reader to be able to cast 2nd magnitude Rego spells 'as there may be an unintended side effect'." Do the magi know anything more specific about this? For example, if Tranquillina has Rego 9, is she in some danger if she reads from Control (or is that unknown to them)?

I think #1 is no because you can't get experience from two different sources.

Try #2. I want to see what happens :smiling_imp:

If you have Rego: 9, you can almost assuredly cast a second magnitude Rego spell without getting tired. Mag 2 is, what, Level 10? So all you need is Sta + Technique + Aura of 1. Easy peasy.

That sounds like what we remember the rules saying, but the exact wording (page 163) is: "A character may only gain experience from one type of advancement in one season." Might that mean that Studying is the type of advancement, but multiple books are okay? - similar to inventing multiple ReTe spells in the same season.

but i'm scared

Since there are no rules for 1/2 studying a book ( that I know of off the top of my head), I think you must FINISH a book to get experience points for it.

Hmmm? That can't be right - summae don't work that way, for example.

It is certainly possible to read, say, a Quality 12 book for only two months of a season, gaining 8 xp from the exercise (page 165). I'm asking if one can use the other month profitably, or just count sheep.

Not necessarily finish, but spend a whole season. If you spend part of a season, you only get partial xp for it. (p. 165). You lose 1/3 of your xp for every month you're distracted. I suppose it's conceivable to be "distracted" by another book (take 2/3 xp for studying one for two months, and take 1/3 for studying the other for one month), but that sounds kinda like gaming the system to me, and I don't know that I would allow it.

((I'm not inclined to allow it...))