1222-1227 OOC

According to the audiobook narrator from whom I first heard it, it is pronounced /dough-NAR/

Awesome.

Working on it, it's gonna be a beast :smiling_imp:

Growing in size, no problem, but I'll tackle the problem the other way: His "natural" size is gigantic, and he has a power to make himself smaller. That way, his giant attacks won't me resisted by MR :smiling_imp:
I absolutely LOVE the idea.

A bark that causes fear, check^^
Strong and Tough, check
Smell and Tracking, check.

Note, though, that any active bark would be resisted. This may be okay for a "cause fear" effect that will fail against magical creatures, but you don't want that for a DEO, save if you want it to affect only minor demons.

Well, IIRC, you can't enchant a DEO in a familiar bond. Effects can only affect the familiar or the magus.
But you can put it into an item, yes.

Know what? Isen has the same idea of doing items for Helest (his horse familiar, almost finally stated), so maybe they could trade lab texts or such :smiley:

Isen agrees.

It will also be quite useful if we're attacked.

If you can enchant a familiar to have razor sharp claws made of steel and an aura of fire, then you should be able to enchant one of his attacks to be a might-stripping attack.

Sadly, lab texts from enchanting only apply to that specific mage/familiar combo. You can't even use it to enchant a new familiar for the same magi with it.

Qcipher, could you tell me what flaws you want for your familiar, if any? Aside from the mandatory "No Hands", of course. As it is, I need at least 2 points of flaws. More would allow me to do, well, more.
Also, consider Minor and Major magic inferiorities.

V 1.0 is almost done, I need this to finish it :wink:

Corebook p105: effects invested in the bond are limited to effects that target the magus, the familiar, or both.

A MuAn(Te) spell clearly targets the familiar (he is the Target and the target).

An aura of fire is, technically, more problematic, since the Target is the fire. Yet, he is the target, so I guess that counts. Apparently, it is all that counts, even.

OTOH, a Pilum of Flame? The Target is the fire. The target is the "victim". So no.
A DEO? Both the Target and the target are the demon. So no.

Of course, allowing effects where the familiar or the magus aren't the target would be a fine area of original research :smiley:

We were talking about enchanted items :wink:

I love the idea of having him naturally being big and his power is to shrink, that's a great idea, then he's not magically resistable for being a large magical being.

As for flaws, I like the idea of a strange fear, one of those ironic fears like an elephant and a mouse. And another maybe could be a weakness, like a weakness for a certain kind of food, or type of person. As a guard dog a weakness like that could be pretty serious. But I don't want to make a bunch of personality flaws maybe. Clumsy seems like a must also. As a huge dog, he's likely misunderstood, so maybe Infamous too?

One of the flaws that would make him similar to Alexei in certain ways was if he was promised to a different owner, like Plagued by Supernatural Entity. Maybe he was supposed to go to a giant?

I'll take a look at the inferiorities and get back to you.

Weakness: Whiskey! So that even MORE people hang around Fiona's cottage!

I think that Vin Diesel has Weakness: Giant Cats and Small Children, but it's entirely possible that this wolfhound will apply, just so that it comes up more.

So now Paul and Donar are going to be scrapping for who gets to finish off the barrel, then?

Awesome. I'll send it to you once I can (meaning I must get back at home, grab the sheet, and take hold of an internect connection. Hopefully in a few hours :smiley:
Knowing that I'll be able to adjust it easily.

The weakness is a great idea, as is clumsy. What about a weakness to music (Orpheus, Cerberus)? Infamous, for those who saw it in its natural form, yeah.
The fear... Yeah, there must be something classic about it, this is good. Maybe a fear of being chained/chains?

A weakness for music...hmm, that could work, not sure how much that will come into play but yeah. As for fear I'd like it to be something ironic, like cats or something.

The first fanboy for Theraphosa/Sheelagh's band!

Does anyone have any more suggestions for what Fiona will be getting at Durenmar besides a summa on Parma Magica? I think I heard "some stuff for the apprentices," not sure.

And do we have any preferences for summae vs spell texts?

I think Summae over spell texts, unless we need a really high level or rare spell.

Summa on Finesse?

Given the holes in our library, any high-level summa on Creo, Ignem, Imaginem or Mentem will also prove quite useful sooner or later.

May I safely assume that Gunnar is available to teach Fiona how to ride in Summer of '26? And that we have (or can acquire) a horse big enough for Fiona?

How much does Fiona weigh? Armored?

Might have to Creo Animal such a beast to account for the large size...

Fiona weighs 360 pounds. And a quick Google search indicates that a full set of mail weighs somewhere around 40-50 pounds, so a larger size for Fiona would weight probably about 60 pounds. So, about 420 pounds in all?

And I glanced at The Wizard's Mount (CrAn 35) and a couple of animal control-type spells that might make them more amenable to having a 400-pound-plus maga sitting on his back (which look like ReAn 25+), all of which look to be beyond Fiona's spont range. Too bad we don't still have Laetitita's saddle laying around somewhere.

((edited for stupid cat-age))

To big for a horse, unless it is quite magical in strength. A mule would carry that load. Not being mean. Just some experience with riding mounts.

The Book of Mundane Beasts has the destrier (Heavy war Horse) at Str +6, weighing about a ton, and standing 16 hands tall. Wikipedia says that horses can carry up to approximately 30% of its body weight, which would be about 575 pounds. The smaller courser only weighs about 1120 pounds, so that would be not big enough to carry Fiona, methinks.

She should be able to take a normal horse, and cast on it Beast of Outlandish Size. It is MuAn 15 and, hopefully, will be enough for the Horse to carry her.

CT Mu 16 + An 7 + Sta 2 + Aura 5 = 30. She manages this easily.

If using ritual sponting, she gets to 32. With a good die roll and/or some vis, she can even cast it for Month Duration.
Even if it ain't enough, she should be able to decrease her own size through Preternatural Growth and Shrinking.

No, THE problem resides in getting a horse to accept a Gifted rider.
However, Isen may be able to help, at least a little:

The Magus's Gentle Mount ReAn 25
Base 4 "Calm an animal", +1 Touch, +1 Size, +3 Moon
This spell calms an animal (up to size +4) enough for it to accept a Gifted rider. The magus still suffers the gift's penalty to his interactions with the mount (including Ride rolls), but is nonetheless accepted by an animal that would reject him otherwise.
Isen is Rego 26 + An 5 + Sta 2 + AL 5 + Ph 3 + Aura 5 + Rego Aura 5 = (51 + Die)/2 :smiley: :open_mouth:

Which Fiona actually has. facepalm

Excellent muah ((that was from Fiona, not me). And being Moon duration, it's not something that she needs to bug him for every day.

And she's been planning this since last Tribunal, so we have plenty of time to pick out a horse and get proper tack and saddle made for him.