1222.1a Listen, Do You Smell Something?

(I'm a little lost there, I thought the entrance to the regio led underwater...)

When he sees viscaria disappear into the regio, Isen walks to her rescue. He does not rush like Vin, in case there's a trap, so he takes notice of his surroundings, but he won't leave her alone.

It's a different one, at the back of the cave, well within the sanctum marker. The first one is just inside the entrance to the cave.

This regio is like swiss cheese. Holes all over the place.

Sorry, I thought the emphasized section would be enough in this case. I believe that was Base 2, Touch, Mom, Ind = InVi 3. While we're on on the subject, how would you feel about an additional +1 Magnitude to include an additional aura type?

Eg, Base 2 (Detect local magic aura), +1 Touch, Mom, Ind, +1 also checks Faerie aura, +1 also checks Infernal aura = InVi 5.

Viscaria turns a slow circle, warily looking around, and completely ignoring the fact that Vin would have noticed and attacked any actual threats before she'd even finished brushing the leaves off herself. When she notices the tree (behind her when she stood up), she comments to Vin, "Do you ever get the sense that you've stumbled onto a stage at the wrong moment in time? Like, you've arrived long after the exeunt of the actors who made a place important? Or that perhaps they've not arrived yet, and you've still got a chance to make your mark upon the stage, carve your name into a tree, and when the Historic Event arrives, your name will be there, noticed by all, remarked upon by none?"

[color=red]"Nope." Vin mono-syllabic grunts often convey far more information than anything Viscaria has ever said.

"You've no sense of wonder, Vin. Watch my back, I'm going to get all arcane on this tree's hide."

[color=red]"Yep."

Viscaria pulls out her casting tools and confronts the tree, her hips squared. She gestures emphatically and grandly intones the ancient Latin words handed down to her by generations of Verditian enchanter-magi, as she draws a giant ring around the tree, covered with arcane symbolism.

Spell Name: "Per meus parum oculus, sentio quod suscipior....sperma!"*
Base 4: Learn all mundane properties of a plant

• 1 Touch, +2 Circle +0 Ring
    Total = InHe 15

(In 14 + He 5 + Sta 0 + Aura 1 + WG 2 + AL 1 + Philo 4 + die / 2) = ( 27 + die roll 3 ) / 2 = 15 (phew!)

15 minutes later (assuming that Isen doesn't step on her gorram circle while she's incanting), Viscaria knows ALL the mundane properties of every plant within that ring around the tree. Ha ha. Mu-hahahaha! Mu-hahhhahaha! ALL the things!

~ahem~

She'll probably cast this spell around every tree/regio-border she finds, looking for similarities. Maybe she'll write a book one day. But right now, she's just going to scrub out the ring. Vin Diesel helps remove any trace of the casting with his impressive scores in Hunt, Stealth and Survival.

Vin worries if he's going soft.

• I think I conjugated "per meus parum oculus" wrong, since the meus is almost always unnecessary. Also, suscipior. That should read, "With my little eye, I perceive something that begins with... a seed!" Gods, my HS Latin teacher would be terribly ashamed of me.

Methinks Isen and Vin are gonna get along just fine, doing fascinating remarks on the nature of the universe and the condition of man.

Of course, he's only got Latin 3(orders), so all he really heard was "blah blah blah blah question? blah blah blah Vin, Watch my back, I'm going to get arcane blah blah."

Yeah, the important stuff. Isen heard about the same things :wink:

"Cave wall to tree, huh? That's new. Of course, there's not many trees in Cijara....Salve, Isen! Can we get back the way we came through?"

Viscaria pauses briefly and adds, "The view from the top of the mountain is gorgeous, but seeing through a spider's eyes is always a bit overwhelming."

Isen

An excellent question, sodales.

Isen will try to get back, eventually using his second sight to try to perceive the regio border
Per 1 + SS 3 + 1d10=1,1d10=5 = 14.

If he manages to get back to the cavern, he'll cross again to viscaria and reassure her. If not... He'll tell her, and be worried. Anyway...
Now, what is this place? We need to make sure there's no danger to the tribunal and to us here

Isen's second sight reveals an abnormal regio entrance, it appears to be more like a portal than a boundary layer. And it only goes in one direction.

"I wish I had made the mental link with Thera go in both directions. As it is, it's a bit like this boundary -- of little use in this situation. We seem to be back in the mundane level, and I believe I can see Mons Electi over there, through those trees. Shall we take a walk?"

Viscaria stands in front of the one-way door, pantomines some stuff about going back to the covenant, and then heads off. She's a bit weary and downcast for the first few minutes, but then perks up as she starts noticing the gorgeously living world around her. She keeps an eye out for suitable sites, potential dangers, etc.

Approaching the boundary and doing her pantomime routine brings cackles of laughter to Thera. Which Viscaria can hear.
"We can hear and see the birds and trees. And you, too, for that matter."

"Hrm, and yet, we cannot seem to return this way. Thera, there are some intriguing questions about regio boundaries which this doorway may answer. We shall have to remember it. At any rate, it must be the slow road home for us, I fear. Continue on without us and we shall catch up when we can."

Isen won't let himself be distracted by the pretty sights. Not until he's sure they're safe. And even then.

Well, at least, we've got one portal checked. And we know we can't expect mundane menaces from here. Yet, the more I think about it, the more this looks daunting. Maybe we should just encase the whole submit in Ice and Stone.

So to move the story forward, Viscaria and Isen hoof it back to Mons Electi, about an hour and a half away, confirming that they exited the regio out into some section of the forest at the base of Mont Beuvray.

What is everyone else going to do for the next 90 minutes or so? You can send word to have Viscaria and Isen join up. Investigating the lab more fully sees a lot of missing equipment, and some of it is broken due to exposure to the elements/weather. I'll get into more detail with whomever takes over the lab.

Could you at least tell me the name of that tree you keep posting photos of? Viscaria does now know ALL MUNDANE INFORMATION ("all the things!") about it.

Sorry, missed that spell.
It's a queule. A strangely shaped tree. The spell is ineffective, although Viscaria can't sense anything magical in nature about the tree.

Wait, ineffective? Not even on the moss? Mushrooms growing near the foot of the tree? Ineffective on everything inside the ring?

Oh, no. Viscaria would definitely want to investigate that a bit more. And she may not have a single InVi or InHe spell memorized, but she's got spunk. And Isen. And Isen-spunk.

Ew. Forget I said that last bit.

Anyway, with In 14 + Vi 15, she'll throw a bunch of InVi spells at that queule, with a +1 Touch, Mom, Ind. With fatigue, that'll be some easy InVi 15 spells (up to Base 10, and Base 5 -- detect any active magic). Let's say she'll throw 5 different "understand this gorram magic" style spells at the thing.

1d10.open(10) → [8] = (8) = 19
1d10.open(10) → [[10, 5]] = (15) No botch (unless there are more than 3 botch dice, due to her Golden Chord)
1d10.open(10) → [3] = (3)
1d10.open(10) → [8] = (8) = 19
1d10.open(10) → [2] = (2)

So, all of those would be an InVi 15 spell to investigate the tree.

Yes, ineffective. The target was the tree, right? Not the moss, not the mushrooms. Separate targets.

Never, it's now preserved in a post you can't edit. Muhahaha!

I'm presuming your resting at those intervals. Also, I'm not exactly sure what kind of detail each effect is going for, if you could clear that up I'll provide some detail.

Circle/Ring, boss-man. Target is everything inside the circle/ring.

Spell 1 : Level 5:Detect any active magic, +2 Determine Technique/Form. Per, Mom, Ind
Spell 2 : Level 5:Detect any active magic, +1 Touch, the rest to penetrate
Spell 3 : Level 10:Detect the traces of powerful magic. +1 Touch, Mom, Ind.
Spell 4 : Level 10:Detect the recent presence of weak magic. +1 Touch, Mom, Ind.
Spell 5 : +1 Touch, some kind of attempt to determine if the tree has Magic Might

In other words, she casts five spells that every magi would know would be the first bunch of spells you cast to determine WTF when encountering something new.

You really have no idea how generous I'm being here. Very well. You did this ceremonially right? Per the text of Ring duration (pg. 112 of the MRB) you need to give me concentration rolls for every round while you're tracing the circle and casting the spell. Also, it's not 15 minutes, it's 45 minutes (pg. 83 of the MRB, first sentence of Ceremonial Casting), because the magnitude of the spell was 3, which means 3x15 minutes. So, um, give me 449 concentration rolls (45 minutes is 450 rounds [10 rounds per minute], you get the first one for free). If you get them all at 6 or better, I'll tell you everything. Otherwise, I'll stand pat, fair?

With great power comes great responsibility.
:mrgreen:

I'll wait on the other stuff, because it may not be applicable. :laughing:

In the event you aren't convinced, you're going to be getting a lot of botch dice. 45 minutes of drawing in mystical energies without releasing them until the ring is complete, that's probably some bad juju.