1222.2a The Lost Boys

Need to add another botch die for the realm. Care to roll that our would you like me to do it?

Realm botch die: 3

The energies of Viscaria's spell gets away from her, and instead of destroying the stone and dirt ahead of her, she destroys all metal in an area around her, unfortunately, this means the party, so all the grogs lose their metal weapons and armor.
After casting the spell, she promptly passes out. Those with Parma are able to resist the spell.

Brionne's entrancement ended when the vampire began feeding on someone from his own side, by the way.

Not that it matters much, since she's passed out, but does that include "noble" metals like silver? Cuz if so, then she just lost all her casting tools - formulaic and spontaneous alike.

I think all of the grogs are equipped in Alexei's magically created armor, or has some kind of spell on it. Does that affect things in anyway (that's a honest rules question, not a quibble -- I'm still learning the MR rules)

Isen doesn't like this, but killing the beast isn't part of the mission, and he has the civilians to take care of.

Moreso, he doesn't know Marcus capacities, so it may very well be that he'd be even less effective against the monster.
He shouts: Fall back! We have Marcus, let's go!
He'll go last, and cast an Ice Wall to close the tunnel, as before.
Cr 19, Aq 13, Focus 13, Sta 02, Talisman 4, 1d10=9 = (60-aura)/2. If the aura is infernal 1, he'll spend confidence to bring this to Sun. Else, he'll go with Concentration, and will maintain it, hopefully keeping the vampire leader from following.
Depending on the tunnel's size, he might even need one less size magnitude, meaning he can do sun duration anyway.

Q: Do they have MR?
A: No, so they can be affected.
Q: Are these armor metal?
A: IIRC, yes, so they are affected

:wink:

As for the magically created equipment, it could be argued that it has an inherent resistance, which might be equal to the CT-spell level, but that is honestly way too much effort to track and it certainly doesn't appear to be RAW, so it's easiest in my mind to say magically created items have no inherent magic resistance.

I evaluated the botch based on the following: point you guys are at in this episode, the nature of the aura, and the nature of the botch. I figured what would be the most diabolical thing I could do, and I made that happen. Destroying your grogs' means of interdicting attackers seemed to be the most diabolical. So I altered the parameters of Viscia's spell, added +1 magnitude for metal. Noble metals are +2 Magnitudes. The effect has no penetration, so even if it did go to +2 magnitude for Noble metals, it wouldn't have penetrated Viscaria's Parma. Make sense?

While everyone gathers themselves together safely behind Isen's block of Ice, Carmine appears to be in deep repose, sitting close to where Viscaria and Vin are resting. A few minutes tick by slowly and she finally opens her eyes and says, "Plans have changed, Aeolus will be waiting for us with his ship at the following location." She points at a spot on the map, and marks it. Reaching the spot would require between 15 and 20 castings of Viscaria's spell to cover the distance. "This spot is a cliff face that goes straight into the water, Aelous is moving his ship into position now and should be there about sunrise, just over an hour away. From there he will be taking us directly to Mons Electi, rather than to the Isle of Crete."
Before anyone can react, Carmine reaches out and touches Viscaria's brow, whispers a few words softly in Latin and faints dead away. Viscaria blinks her eyes momentarily and rouses fully refreshed.

((Gah! My Verditian items! I believe that would include 1 shield, 1 sword and a set of bandages. The other sword and shield as well as the armour (half chain) were not taken or were taken by a magus no longer here. I'll double check through the posts to make sure))

Brionne seems groggy and confused as was led away from the fight into safety behind the ice wall. He finally seems to snap out of it when the armor he was wearing and his master's sword and shield suddenly vanish.

"Mon Dieu! What has happened?!" he mutters as he realizes those prized items are gone. He pats himself down and starts in confusion when he finds his open collar and exposed neck. "What are we doing out here?" he recovers gamely enough, balling his hands into fists and preparing to fight if it comes down to it, calming down so as not to distract the magi.

Metal bandages?

((Yeah, Fabrica the Verditius knew he had a sucker when Alexei walked into his studio.

"Ya, I could zell you the regular bandages...but zhese with ze metal trim are zo much more powerful, all of the Hoplites in ze Rhine have zhem. But you must make an offer quickly, I have another Flambeau who is supposed to be here zhis afternoon asking for zese, und zey are my last ones..."

I just kind of lumped them in, the bandages are fine :laughing: ))

(OOC: Did Carmine just break the Limit of Energy?)

Viscaria blinks, sits up, and stretches like she's just had a long nap. She looks around, taking it all in. "Which direction are we supposed to be going?" she asks simply.

Then she gets up, double-checks that all her casting tools are in place (it really is a horde of treasure in its own right, if you think about it -- finger sized bars of silver? 15 just for the spontaneous tools, at least half a dozen more for the individual spells), pulls out the short, stubby wand for Burrowfingers, and gets back to work.

(The default configuration is a tunnel with 6 foot ceilings 10 feet wide, and 45 feet long. If I halved the width to 5", then I could presumably double the length to 90 ft. What would be the finesse roll required for that?)

Start with 5 castings. CT is back to 23, -1 for the Aura.

1d10.open(10)+22 → [3,22] = (25)
1d10.open(10)+22 → [5,22] = (27)
1d10.open(10)+22 → [4,22] = (26)
1d10.open(10)+22 → [3,22] = (25)

No, she just cast Gift of Vigor.
From the Text: "Transfers bodily energy from you to any target who is at a lower Fatigue level than you." Transfer isn't a correct word based on what it actually does, exchange is more apt. Viscaria was Unconscious, Carmine was not fatigued, she exchanged states with Viscaria. And yes, she penetrated Viscaria's MR of 20 for Corpus spells on a 20th level spell.

Answering the question about adjusting the default configuration, and finesse rolls: the overall number of die rolls would remain the same. A botched spell or a botched finesse roll can be equally bad. However you want to do it.
Is Claude carrying Carmine?

Yes. Fireman carry over the shoulders so he could drop her if needed but still carry his shield and axe.

His shield is nothing but pieces of wood, same for the axe, nothing but a handle. Knives and any other metal items have been destroyed.

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3446512/

1d10.open(10)+22 → [[10, 3],22] = (35), and a 6
1d10.open(10)+22 → [[10, 1],22] = (33) and a 4
1d10.open(10)+22 → [2,22] = (24)
1d10.open(10)+22 → [9,22] = (31)

Now that I'm back up to full health, the non-botch zeros don't even cost me a fatigue level.

OOC: Don't forget to update the wiki, under Items, where I moved everything.

Missed that. He can swing Carmine if needed :open_mouth: If people would have only listened to Claude... :slight_smile:

As they move through the corridor created by Viscaria, Marcus looks about trying to identify people, but can't, except for Carmine, "Where is Apollodorus and Andru? I see Carmine is here, so something must have gone badly if neither Andru nor Apollodorus are here."

There were some problems at Mons Electi. It happened to be attacked at the same time we went to rescue you. Appolodorus and our other sodales went back there to defend the covenant.

If/when we get out, Isen will take care to assemble as many of the rescued mundanes and bring them with us. This is safer for them than being left near the vampires.

Ah yes.
I hadn't thought about it, but this is quite right. Never realized how Items of Quality were vulnerable to magic before, but this does makes sense.

After making some good progress, Viscaria pauses and asks, "Isen, how easy is it for you to make these Ice Walls? Could you set up several that would last till dawn? We we should set up a few diversionary paths..."