1222.2b: Overture

"If they do not bring answers soon, I can go look up the records myself," Halie offers.

"Hmm? Well maybe, but considering the height of the aura and all, not knowing where it stops, building it from the roof down may work better, don't you think? I believe I know of a vis source that happens around Easter time not so far from here...as long as we're talking about Vis."

"So other than rediscovering the vis sources, harvesting them before the diabolical Duncan manages to do so, is there anything else we need to be concerned about? Do I need to put back out to sea soon and begin a life of piracy to support the covenant?"

"Let's see," Doineann says as she starts ticking off on her fingers. "Diabolist apprentice running around free, the occasional visit from the Giants, losing track of our vis sources, our founder missing and presumed dead, not having a lab situation to your liking...No, that pretty much sums it up."

"As long as no one steals all our livestock," Drystan says with an annoyed look at Doineann, "we should be fine on the supporting the covenant side."

"If anyone wants to leave now, I wouldn't blame you in the least," Doineann says.

((Is Aodhan going to sign, or does he have more questions/concerns, or has it simply slipped his mind? No hurry, just checking.))

"No, no. I'm not leaving. I'm just trying to better understand our resources and needs. As it is, my ship is here for sometime. Although, I could create another one at Inverness, putting it on the ocean...

"I have some facility for gathering information among mundanes since I can pretty much look at any person in sight without magic resistance and ask an unlimited number of questions of their mind. Indeed, this works well with bargaining since I can determine their maximum price they will pay and our bargainers can negociate to that price or break off if we think it is too low and we have other options. I can do this against some with magic resistance but the stronger the resistance, the harder it is. All my magics are such that few can tell that I am invoking them and that is mostly because of concentration." Siobhan smiles. She is not going to give away the full extent of the memory tricks she can perform but intangible tunnel for sight range and posing the silent question is innoculous enough.

"...Was there a point to that non sequitur?" Halie asks, confused.

"Our Sodalis was trying to understand what resources we possessed or need. I was making known the resources that I can contribute." Siobhan says softly.

My question was more for those who invited us. What do they want us to do. It's very easy to invite us, we've taken the hook. Now draw the line and tell us what you need to do. We may not share all their values. I've brought men with me, men who have served me ably and well, but are they willing to serve others? Are the covenfolk here able to willing and serve others? Are we a united group, or a loose assortment of individuals. Despite what the charter required, I would suggest that prior to now the covenant was a collection of individuals, with a single individual driving his personal agenda. As much as us being here will change us, so will we change the covenant."

"Considering there are others among us adept with Intellego Mentem, who may move among mundanes without drawing unnecessary attention to the Gift, I still do not see your point. Thank you for sharing though, I guess." Halie shrugs, unsure who the hedgie-Bonisagus is trying to impress, but turns to the rest of the council. "In any case, most of the resources I have are property of Magvillus, and are thus not mine to share. It is my hope that the prestige of my office may dissuade other covenants from raiding us, and if that is not sufficient, the sharpness of my teeth may encourage a bit of respectful distance." (This probably seems strange to those who have seen Halie in her heartbeast form-- eagles don't have teeth.)

"So, after we adjourn, I will map the extent of the aura and convey its dimensions to Aodhan, who will then undertake design of the expanded facilities. We will investigate what vis sources are at our disposal as soon as we have that information. Are there any other items to discuss, or do we now have a plan?" She smiles encouragingly.

"While we're waiting to hear back about our documented vis sources I can begin a general survey of the shoreline of the loch for potential sources."

While others are talking Aodhan signs on the charter, using his right triangle sigil to make sure it's on very straight...but is signed in the wrong place. It also looks like there's a small sketch of an upside down house next to his signature along with some measurements.

((Define "wrong place"...this could be important :smiley: ))

((Along the margin where he left his doodle of the upside down house.))

"I can assist in locating some of the vis sources as I have a spell that lets me spot vis sources that are in sight that I can walk around and just look for vis if it is in the area. I would need time and spells to gather vis that is perhaps underwater or out of normal reach." Siobhan has various spells that can contribute. She eyes quaesitor carefully not liking the attitudes shown by the woman.

"Most of the covenfolk have lived here all their lives" Drystan says," as have their parents and their parents before them. The past few years have been difficult, certainly for them as well as for us. They've always done their duties well, and although a few have left home for whatever reasons, we've seen nothing to give us cause for alarm."

"As to what we want from the covenant?" Eilid continues. "I, for one, simply want it to continue. My days are numbered, and although I have had an apprentice and am considering taking another, I would like to leave something behind when I go. I've...we've dedicated most of our lives to Insula Canaria. If it were to die...it would be hard not to think that we've lived our lives in vain."

Aodhan seems eager to begin and chats up the group excitedly.

"Well, nothing like new beginnings! And new beginnings lead to all kinds of gainful endeavors! I am happiest when I am best employed with useful labour. So, I will happily volunteer my services where needed. I'll even put off my latest plans for the house built from the roof down! It could completely change how we build for the future! But, that's for another day. I can build a variety of items and do greatly enjoy the set up of laboratories. It was how I cut my teeth under my parens. So please, make use of me!"

((Basically if there is a project you can put him on it, he can save a decent amount of Vim vis on opening items also))

Darkwing calmly states"I wish to further the work of my lineage: to whit, I wish to find hedge magi and understand their magics. Those who prove useful will be offered the chance to join Ex Miscellanea in some form. As we are in the far north of Loch Leglean, I expect I can follow this for a long time. If we ever completely subsume the native magics, or the hoplites completely eliminate them, and there are no more ancient magics to study, I will study the techniques and the form of Vim before taking my leave for wilder shores.

"I believe these shores are about as wild as you'll ever find," Drystan says with a wry smile. "That's why I moved here."

About three weeks after the introductory Council meeting, the redcap (Douglas, a strapping youngish man) arrives with messages. There is a packet addressed to the Covenant of Insula Canaria, and a letter addressed to Halie the Bjornaer.

The Covenant's packet consists of a letter from the Mercere house in Edinburgh detailing the vis sources that are currently registered to the covenant, along with a politely worded admonition to do a better job with your record-keeping and an offer to rent the covenant a Mercere clerk to get the records in order again.

The vis sources that we have registered with the Tribunal are:

• Driftwood (Spring): 4 pawns Herbam. Driftwood appearing on the beach near Eilean Chon after the spring equinox contains 4 pawns herbam vis.
  • Mandrake (Summer): 8 pawns Corpus. In a certain area of the forest that abuts the covenant are found a number of mandrakes. If harvested under the light of the first full moon of the summer, each mandrake yields a pawn of vis. However, the scream of a mandrake being uprooted can kill a man, so care must be taken.
  • Summer Rain (Summer): 15 pawns Vim. The last rains of the summer falling on Eilean Chon yield vis if collected.
  • Fleece of the lucky ewe (Autumn): 4 pawns Animal. An incredibly fertile wild ram appears and impregnates ewes. The first ewe impregnated will produce 4 pawns of animal vis in her fleece.
  • Samhain's Judgement (Autumn): 4 pawns Imaginem, 4 pawns Mentem. Every year on Samhain, an ancient stone in the wall surrounding the graveyard in Cill Chuimein summons the spirit of a Daemon to speak for the dead that died during the year. If the magi can speak to it about the good and bad and render fair judgments on a number of ghosts that it brings before them, it dissolves and leaves behind a gift of vis. If they fail to judge the dead correctly for their deeds then the ghosts of the dead are released to attack.
  • The monster's eggs (Autumn): 8 pawns Animal. In late Autumn or early Winter, the Niseag lays its eggs on the loch bottom. Each egg is a pawn of Animal vis.
  • Rockface (Winter): 4 pawns Terram. A few miles upstream from Inbhir Mhoireastain, the River Mhoireasteain cuts through a wide ravine. On the granite rock-face there, coloured veins appear each winter after weathering that yield Terram vis.
  • The Spring in Glencoe (Autumn): 10 pawns Intellego. In Glencoe, there is a spring of incredibly pure, clean water. If one draws from the spring on the autumnal equinox, the spring produces 10 pawns of Intellego vis.