1222.2b: Overture

Halie accepts the letter with thanks, and introduces herself. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Douglas; I am Halie Bjornaeris. Would you care to dine with me this evening?"

"I would be delighted," Douglas says with a half-bow, then smiles up at her. "Will you be gracing the guest cottage with your presence, or would you prefer that I dine at yours?"

Douglas is tall (pushing six feet), with a sturdy build, long dark curly hair, and hazel eyes. Clean-shaven, with a Kirk Douglas chin.

"It would only be proper hospitality to receive you at my home," she replies shyly, somewhat unnerved by his looks and easy confidence.

She'll find out who the local chef is and then beg him/her for the favour of a special meal prepared for her and a guest. "The covenant has had such troubles that I would really like to set us off on the right foot with the Tribunal's officials. Do you think you could help? I would be in your debt."

((slight backtrack)

After the Summer Meeting is over, Eilid vanishes from the council chamber. As everyone leaves, they can see a fair number of covenfolk (roughly twenty-ish) standing in robes on the shore at the foot of the pier. Eilid says something to them, and they all drop their robes and walk, naked, down the length of the pier to the Long Pier. Eilid, Drystan, and Doineann spread out along the Muireach leg. Once all the covenfolk get to the Long Pier, they look out onto the loch and shout something in Scots Gaelic*. They then turn and dive into the loch and swim toward shore. One of the swimmers (a woman) seems utterly unaffected by the icy water (rolled a 25 on her Sta check). Once they reach shore, they grab their robes and clothes and head to the Revel Hall to dry off before the fires.

That evening is the quarterly Great Revels (held on the evenings of the regular Council Sessions). Drinking, singing, feasting, dancing, and socializing long into the night. The magi are welcome, Drystan says, and the Elder Magi will all be in attendance.

• Aodhan, the only magus who speaks the language, hears them shouting something along the lines of "You want a piece of us, you great scaly bitch? Now's your chance, come and get us!"

Aodhan was eating some of the local faire and at their outburst he snarfs explosively.

"Hoo-hoo! That's right you tell that...whatever it is! Can I have some more of stew?" he asks, holding up his bowl.

Everyone should have a servant and a shield-grog, even if they're currently extras.

The servant prepares a good meal (for two or three?) and, if Halie wishes, will find somewhere else to be for the evening.

Talia will offer to warm up anyone who is willing...
Cr 13+3 +Ig 14 + Sta 2 +Aura 3=35. 35/2=17.5. She can cast 3rd level spells without fatigue or has a decent chance of doing a 10th magnitude spell Base 2 is to heat an object to be Warm to the Touch, +1 for Touch would be 3rd level. Woohoo, she can do something useful with Ignem!

The servant should stick around :slight_smile: Halie would be sure to know the servant's name as well (you don't have to come up with one right now-- she is just the sort of person who would know and remember those kinds of things).

Dinner is for two. Schmoozing and whatnot.

If she were to do R: Touch (+1), D: Sun (+2), T: Group (+2), that would be a Target of 15, and she could do ten at a time on anything but a botch. If she added another magnitude for Target Size, then she could do everyone to be toasty-warm until sundown with an average roll.

Athenus alights on the back of Halie's chair. "Do you want me to stay," he whispers in her ear, "or should I get to know the covenant a little better?"

Note her CS is 17.5 before dividing for fatigue or non-fatiguing due to deficient Ignem. Will a level three spell be sufficient? Base 2 R:T D:Mom T:Ind

Halie preens the feathers behind Athenus' neck and kisses the top of his head. "I'll be fine," she says. "I never met a Redcap what bites."

facepalm You'd think I'd learn to check character sheets before spouting off by now.

For non-fatiguing sponts, it would be sufficient. In fact, 35 ÷2 = 18 (I round to the nearest whole, and halves round up), 18 ÷ 5 = 3.6 which rounds to 4. So you could do R: Touch (which she would probably enjoy) and D: Diameter, which would make them warm for a couple of minutes.

Even better.
"Here, let me rub you down for a few minutes, and you'll be all nice and warm." Of course she doesn't need to rub them down after she's touched them, but that doesn't mean she has to stop... :wink:

A few minutes after sundown, Douglas knocks at the door – bathed, freshly shaved, and wearing clean clothes.

And of course, since they're still not wearing clothes (or, at most a bathrobe, basically)...let's see...+1 Pre, +1 Com, and 2 Charm (Men), but the Gift, it should be pretty easy to tell who's receptive.

But the men should be easy pickin's.

"Hello! Muireall just brought out some mixed greens and oatcakes. Please, have a seat." Halie has put a lot of thought into her appearance, which is to say, she's wearing a short linen shift to just above her knees.

Trimalchio has put on his outrageously fine Houppelande and has come to dinner. As it is a Grand Revel, he shall dress the part (even if he's not much of a one for dancing).

"Thank you, Halie. I wish I had had the foresight to bring a little token of my appreciation for your hospitality. Everything does look delicious," he says as he walks around and holds the chair for her. He lingers for just a moment as she settles herself before he returns to his chair.