1222.2b The Fall of Night

Alexei would have sent a message to all magi. People on the waiting list for joining the covenant have likely been given a bump forward on it...provided they can be trusted.

Fiona is missing, last seen by Ulrich standing at the exit to the mundane side of the regio. She Just vanished! Incidentally, Apollodorus' body was moved next to her shortly before that and disappeared when Fiona did.
Jormungand and Fieltarn have been absent for some period of time, they both went off to pursue some individual goals they didn't discuss in the Spring, and haven't returned.

The only other magus present is Jacques. He knows Korvin is off running some errands Apollodorus had sent him on before coming back to Mons Electi. And then Isen and Viscaria are still on the isle of Thera.

The list outlined seems more long term, and less short term. I'm not aware of any means present characters have secured for quickly contacting other covenants.

((Alexei has an Arcane Connection to Castra Solis and the Castellan of the Milites. He'll assemble the Magi at the Covenant and hear their thoughts, I'll wait for IC posts as we decide what to do. Alexei is sorely tempted to try and use Leap of Homecoming to go to Castra Solis and warn Garus.))

"Sodales!" Alexei calls through the halls of the Covenant as he picks through the rubble and broken furniture. "Magi of Mons Electi! We must speak, attend me if you please in the hall!" he sends servants scurrying to the various ends of the buildings to gather whomever is left.

3.bp.blogspot.com/_bemI3f1sHlU/T ... /abide.jpg

Ulrich will be at the hall. Although he's not a magus, he does feel he might have something to contribute, as he was the last one to see Fiona alive, she has his staff, and he heard Apollodorus speak even after he saw his body...at least, he thinks it was his body, it was all very confusing.

Thera will attend as Viscaria's representative. She also guesses that she's probably the one most conversant with their legal options.

If there is time before the meeting, she'll head to the library and see if there is any useful reference material on the Code of Hermes and this situation.

Well, I'm interested in assessing what characters think the situation is exactly. I may have a very different assessment than what a player or their character's might.

(I concur, but am out of town atm, and Alexei will naturally lead the meeting anyway.)

Alexei, Thera, Ulrich. Anyone else of companion stature or greater?

Saying it another way...
I don't know what Thera is looking for exactly.

OK I'll hold up, it's likely to be a busy weekend anyway.

Jacques is there and looking for answers.

Ulrich (assuming that Thera's -4 Pre is only in her spider form and that she has something more like a 0 in her current human form) will sidle up next to Theraphosa, hopefully discretely checking her out.

[color=green]"Hi. I don't think I've seen you around. I'm Ulrich." He's not as awkward as he used to be, and he's going to try to be charming. Pre 1 + Charm 0 + die roll of 9 = 10, plus Venus's Blessing if that's applicable. (I know, we don't go by die rolls in inter-PC interaction...I just like to throw that out there as a play-aide.)

Alexei has arranged for the meeting to take place outside of his sanctum. Ordinarily it is a well decorated and appointed room, with banners that Alexei has either flown or won in his campaigns. Now weapon racks newly moved inside are on the walls and what grogs there are come and go, with Michelle La Rouge (He did not go to Greece with the others) acting as the mundane sergeant and barrier to Alexei. Resting and securely gagged and tied down on a couch is the wounded magus that was captured. Alexei has arranged for a table to be brought in and has various items on it; the Charter of Mons Electi, a book on relevant tribunal rulings of Normandy, maps of the surrounding area and a rather gruesome token of swatches of bloody cloth torn into neat squares. The young man Helmut makes frequent trips to and from the tapestry map and back to Alexei with any news.

Alexei is dressed in his full armor and carries a shield and has capped his staff with a spear tip. It's obvious he hasn't slept since the night's events and he looks a bit haggard and dishevelled, but the smile and enthusiasm he greets the attending Magi with belies the fatigue. It's a bit eerie.

"Ah my Sodales. Thank you for joining me. Have a seat, please." he looks at Ulrich with some confusion and then consults some sheets of vellum on the table.

"Ulrich! Yes, young Ulrich. Welcome, sit down please."

"Jacques, we will be making use of that large turb you brought, and obstacles to you joining the Covenant shall be smoothed. You shall prove your qualities young Flambeau, of that I have no doubt."

"Thera! Thera?" He again consults the sheets of vellum. "Yes welcome."

"My Sodales...we have convened here for a War council. For make no mistake, though we did not wish it, though we do not want it, War has come to our doorstep. And in a war, the worst mistake you can make is to leave your enemy alive. Our enemies made that mistake last night. Though dear Apollodorous was slain, we are in the trim. Now...I would hear your thoughts on these recent events and take your council as we decide what actions we will be taking. I am fully committed to this undertaking. No one abuses my sodales in my house with impunity. No one plucks my beard and pays naught for it. And none shall draw my blood without risking their own!" he says with absolute certainty as he grips the staff with white knuckle intensity. Helmut returns in a rather timely moment and fills his wine cup while shaking his head at Alexei's often asked question of any activity seen in the tapestry.

"So...what say you my Sodales? Let us hear each other's council this grave day that we might turn our fortunes about."

((Maybe this needs its own thread?))

((If Alexei is doing this now, before anyone else can return, then a new thread isn't necessary.))

Ulrich does so, and with a smile motions for the woman in the silk body-stocking to sit next to him. (Nope, since as far as I can tell he wasn't there when Fiona transformed Thera, the poor boy has no clue.)

He looks around briefly for the spider, but doesn't see her, so he returns to splitting his attention between Thera-as-woman and Alexei...although I don't recall anyone extending their Parma over him, he's probably looking a little jittery.

"Are we certain that he's dead?" Ulrich asks. "I mean, I saw him lying on the ground next to Fiona at the entrance to the regio, but I also heard him speaking then as well. Perhaps he fell, or was knocked through the entrance with her."

I do not think we can make any decision without more people. We will have to do this all over again once Korvin, Laetitia and Isen return.

Do we know who we are at war with?

((Mufarjj should be fully healed and ready to do something.))

((I tend to take the view that even after the ritual to restore the body from damage that the recipient of the ritual will be tired, not necessarily long term fatigue thing, but maybe need at least a really good night's sleep. I know that's not RAW, but it's more of the nature if someone has a choice they'd be sleeping, and Mufarjj could have very possibly slept through the battle, or was roused at the end of the battle.))

Before Alexei answers any questions he looks around the table in some confusion. He had set a large bench for the giantess but she was not here. He turns to Ulrich.

"Young man, where is Fiona? Where is your Mistress? She is your Mistress yes?"

"No. Actually, Tria is. Hadn't Apollodorus mentioned that she had claimed me when Silviatos abandoned me, and that she was fostering me to him until she was ready to complete my training?

"As to where Fiona is - she was standing in the entrance to the Regio when the shock waves hit. I'm assuming that she and Apollodorus were knocked through into the Regio."

Thera greets Ulrich warmly, and is mildly appreciative of the difference between skin to skin contact versus her normal chitinous exterior. It feels terribly exposed, but still quite safe.

Besides, she reasons. The spell shall only last till sunrise and the worst of the danger is already over. I suspect we'll still be in council by the time dawn approaches.

She sits next Ulrich, lightly running her fingers across his arm. (Venus' Blessing is a virtue, not a flaw, just remember that, folks :slight_smile: )

"I was too far from Apollodorus to understand the nature of the attack that fell him. When his body fell, a great trembling was felt throughout the regio, causing Fiona to fall through....something. I saw her fall, but could find no evidence of a space she might have fallen into.

"These magi who attacked us, they came through the primary door, and were powerful enough to translocate* without voice or gestures. I believe this would place their age at relatively twice yours, Alexei. Do we have any additional details to identify them by or measure their power? One was named Valerian by your fallen master.

"It seems clear that Apollodorus used your comrades to lure this Valerian into his web, and he returned when the trap was sprung. However, he misjudged their power, or his own defenses. His Sibling defeated but one of the opponent's guardian-spirits before retreating -- Has anyone checked on Regulus? He should be able to answer many questions."

If no one has checked on the cat-familiar, Thera will immediately leave to retrieve him. When she does, she also returns with the Perfectly Ordinary Mirror, and the Library Catalog (arcane connection to all books in the Library). The enchantments extremely flexible verbal command responsiveness may make research much easier on this matter (Spell says you can command things like, "Show me the first bit about the frogs," so you might be able to to also start with "Use the book with the most information about Xenophon in it.")

(Note: Thera has Magic Theory 5 and Order of Hermes Lore 5(history), as well as Code of Hermes 3 (precedents). She should have a much better idea of what the heck is going on here than I do. She heard Apollodorus's monologue.)

• "teleport" sounds way too modern