1222.2b The Fall of Night

Both the magi next to Valerian disappear.
"Well, Valerian, the odds seem to be skewing into my favor."
Valerian says nothing, but seems to smile and glances up very subtly. Groaning and creaking can be heard just before the ceiling is brought down on top of Apollodorus, Deykin and Alexei. Acting quickly, Apollodorus, with bold words and gestures manages to redirect the majority of the rubble towards Valerian.

One of the magi reappears near Fiona, Jacques and Ivor (this is round 2 still).

Alexei and Deykin are busy dodging rubble. We'll advance to the next round.

Round 3 actions.

Alexei, Deykin and Thera should make awareness rolls. (Sometimes I make them, and sometimes I want the players to know that their characters should feel as if they're missing something. When I ask for an awareness roll players should put that kind of feeling onto their characters if you end up not discovering it).

((OK, I'll roll when I get home. One thing Alexei would do (if necessary) is fast cast Wizards Leap to safety on the ground floor with Valerian, but outside of the webs and vines. If he needs to do that to be safe let me know. I'll roll Awareness when I get home, but he's a pretty low chance of succeeding))

Well, if Alexei Wizard Leapt closer to Valerian, he'd be risking being hit by all the rubble that Apollodorus redirected. The rubble dodging is minor, like a distraction.

((He'd mainly Wizard Leap to be on the same level as Valerian, but outside of the webs, vines and rubble then. If the rubble is that widespread he'd be as close as possible, but still safe i suppose. And if that's not possible, then just stay where he's at (if safe), he'll teleport later with more scrutiny))

Deykin's roll: Per 1 + Awareness 2 + die roll of 5 = 8...11 if he gets to use his Keen Vision.

He will hold his action, looking for the other magi who disappeared. If one appears within striking distance, then he will attack.

And I totally forgot about all the other possible combatants I can theoretically bring to bear.

Ulrich: Initiative is Qui 0 + die roll of 7 = 7. He will try to Rego a piece of wood, branch, two by four, whatever's around and clobber one of the magi upside the head with it.

Wilhelm: Initiative is Qui 1 – Weapon 1 – Enc 2 + die roll of 8 = 6. He is going to loose an arrow at one of the magi.

Catrin: Initiative is Qui 0 + die roll of 6 = 6. She will engage in the time-honored tradition of rock-throwing.

Daffyd: Initiative is Qui 1 – Weapon 1 – Enc 2 + die roll of 2 = 0. He's going to shoot one of the magi.

Wen: Initiative is Qui 1 + die roll of 8 = 9. She is going to try to sneak up on one of the magi and clobber him/her/it with a rock. I was going to say "upside the head," but I don't think she can reach that high. So, if she can climb up and clock him from above, or clip his knees or something, she will.

Jacques initiative 1d10=4 -2 = 2

Why don't we go with your previous roll of 6-2=4? :smiley:

Initiative is only rolled once per combat.
I'm going to block Wilhelm for participating, as he lives outside the covenant. He's likely heard the alarm raised, and will make his way, but it will take a while to get to the covenant.

Okily dokily,

((Woops, I never made that Awareness roll. I'm at work and can't use the die roller page, we can go ahead and say he failed it, he has a negative Perception anyway (unless someone wants to make a roll for him). Sorry about that, I hope you weren't witing for me. His next action (if this helps) would be to Port over to the Magus that re-appeared, dependning on what he sees.))

Awareness roll : 6 + Per 1 + Awareness 3 = 10 (+1 if its for food)

So, Valerian is still too far for Thera to leap on from ambush? And the wizard who leapt down to Fiona's group is clearly not within sneak-attack range. On the other hand.....what's this?

(hopefully, that's a pass :slight_smile:

((Alexei's Awareness roll:))

1d10-1 → [6,-1] = (5) 5
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3395680/

Valerian is too far away for Theraposa, he's still trapped under vines and webbing, though it appears to be a tactical decision.
Apollodorus crumples to the ground, and is observed to fall by Deykin and Thera.
Alexei witnesses Valerian vanish before his eyes. He gives Alexei a warm smile and a wave just before he disappears (imagine Peter Pettigrew returning to his animagus form in The Prisoner of Azkarban)

The one remaining magus in black disappears, and reappears behind Fiona, Jacques group (no awareness roll needed). He seems a bit discommoded.

Alexei growls in frustration and makes a quick sign of the figo with his left hand at Valerian before he disappears himself and reappears behind the one remaining magus. He takes the spear and jabs it into the thigh of the magus in black, not enough to cause a great deal of harm but to shed some blood and and get the magus's attention and foul his concentration.

((Since he's discommoded I figure this should be pretty easy to do. I can roll when I get home.))

Since Deykin had basically held his action, he's going to quickly check on Apollodorus.

Next round (since it's probably pretty obvious that Apollodorus is pining for the fjords), he is going to string his bow and look for someone wearing black to pierce.

He's got a round head start on Alexei. Alexei can leap to where he was (between the castle and Fiona & Jacques). Alexei can quickly deduce that he's attempting to get away, but lacks the ability to transport himself outside the rather large Aegis by TSLS or LoH. Sprinting in conjunction with well timed Wizard's Leaps might catch up to him before he can make an escape.

Also, ranged attacks will work for a bit.

Jacques will cast Unseen Archer with the arrow he was reloading his bow.

1d10=5+10+8+aura 5 +Stam 1 = 29
Finesse roll for targeting 1d10=3 + Per 1 + Finesse 7 = 11

((I"ll have to roll that at home I'm sure, it will take Finnesse most likely to appear right where I want))

Alexei is growling again in anger as he sprints after the magus. He tries timing his next Wizar'd Leap for when the magus will be stuck with few places to turn and then appear directly in front of him.

((Basically looking for his best shot, which would be when the magus runs down a hall or almost through a doorways so he can't turn, can only run forwards or back.))

Assuming we're still in Round 3, do you want attack rolls for my people (i.e. Ulrich, Catrin, Daffyd, and maybe Wen)?

We are in Round 3. The remaining target is attempting to get away and is ~40 paces away from Jacques and Fiona.
Characters can be coming up the steps to the parapet to view out the hole (near Alexei and Deykin and Valerian who just vanished) or can be close to Jacques and Fiona. Player's choice.
Distance from Alexei to the spot everyone is at in the courtyard is about a 50 paces. Distance from the parapet to the current location of the magus in black is about 100 paces away, not quite, but close enough.

Hmm...Ulrich and Wen up at/near the parapet, Daffyd and Catrin down below, near Jacques and Fiona.

So. In Initiative order:

• Wen, up at the parapet with a thrown rock. Dex 1 + Thrown Weapon 0 + Weapon Mod 1 - Range Modifier 9 + Die roll of 5 = -2.
  • Ulrich is going to spont a ReHe effect to grab a chunk of wood (I'm assuming that there's one in the rubble here from when the arch got blown out?) and try to clock the magus upside the head with it. Base 3 ("Control an amount of wood"), R: Touch (+1), D: Concentration (+1), T: Individual; final spell level should be 5. His Casting Total is Re 8 + He 12 + Sta 2 + Aura 5 + die roll of 5 = 32 ÷ 2 = 16. He doesn't have the Penetration ability, so his Penetration is 11. With his Deft Form, he'll not be using words or gestures. Finesse for targeting is Per 1 + Finesse 0 + die roll of 7 = 8.
  • Catrin, down below with a thrown rock: Dex 1 + Thrown Weapon 0 + Weapon Mod 1 - Range Modifier 3 + die roll of 1 (followed by a die roll of 10, for a dice total of 20) = 19. (And Wen's all like, "Holy shit, Mom!")
  • Daffyd, down below with his bow: Dex 1 + Bow (Short Bow) 6 + Weapon Mod 3 - Range Mod 6 + die roll of 0 (botch check comes up a 6) = 4.